Calle
Topic Author

The Old Forest

Sun 05 Feb 2023, 17:26

What makes The Old Forest so dangerous except Old Man Willow?

Dunheved

Re: The Old Forest

Sun 05 Feb 2023, 21:05

Interesting.

I am not sure there is any canon reason other than Old Man Willow being in the Withy Valley. Merry says that the hobbits of Buckland regard the Withywindle river being the centre of all the trouble in the forest. And the Forest itself seems subservient to the Will of Old Man Willow when you consider what Tom Bombadil says.

Yet, since Goldberry is the River-woman's Daughter, and amongst the poems collections (Adventures of Tom Bombadil) there are a few troubles (badgers?) that Tom talks down; it would not be beyond the creative narrative of the LM to compose several wood-sprite / water-spirit / etc inhabitants to go with Old Man Willow. I mean, it is easiest to consider Old Man Willow as a Huorn of sorts; but the others? Whatever you want.

TOR1e BREE supplement had some sly little adversaries (won't go into details) among the Blue Bell Wood. They can be added if you can find them.

What I would say is that no creature of Shadow aligned with Morgoth, Sauron or the Witch King is going to be tolerated in there. Free Spirits - both malevolent and beneficial I'd say.

gyrovague

Sun 05 Feb 2023, 23:29

Deer ticks.

Calle
Topic Author

Tue 07 Feb 2023, 18:19

Yeah, different kind of spirtis could inhabit the forest. Thanks!