Tomas
Site Admin
Topic Author

Dragonbane Beta v3 Rulebook Feedback - Chapter 4 Combat & Damage

Sun 05 Feb 2023, 12:16

Hi!

Please use this thread to post feedback and report any typos or errors in Chapter 4 of the version 3 Beta PDF of the Dragonbane Rulebook. Guidelines to remember:
  • Before reporting an error, please check and see if it already has been reported, and if so, don't report it again.
  • If you feedbacked on something in the the first version of the BETA but it's not changed in the version two of the BETA, it's not because we missed it - it's because we made a different assessment. (Typos are a different thing.)
Please report your feedback no later than February 28.
Thank you!
Fria Ligan

Kaybe

Re: Dragonbane Beta v3 Rulebook Feedback - Chapter 4 Combat & Damage

Sun 05 Feb 2023, 19:17

Page 41 - Waiting: Just to be clear, Monsters cannot wait, but NPC humanoids like bandits can, correct? Also, what happens if you swap initiative with a group of NPCs who all share the same initiative? Or can you only swap with a single NPC in that group? And if so and your PC ends up sharing the same initiative score as the remaining NPCs, who goes first on that turn?

Page 43 - Stand/Crouch: Is there a particular order here like how in Blade Runner you can only stand at the start of your move or go prone at the end of your movement? Can you move while crouching, for example to move under a window to avoid notice or otherwise remain behind cover? If so, is there a penalty to your move speed?

Page 43 - Sneak Attack / Ambush: Can you sneak attack or ambush using ranged weapons? Using a subtle weapon gives you a damage bonus, but I don't see any rules indicating you can't use a non-subtle ranged weapon. For now, I'll assume the answer is yes.

Page 45 - Weapon: Exchanging a weapon for another weapon at hand ... is the first weapon placed back at hand or is it dropped to the ground? The way I'm reading it, it's place back at hand (sheathed).

Page 50 - Armor Rating: *Strongly* disagree with weapons taking damage if attacks do not defeat armor. Very strongly. This will act as a deterrent to players who are facing opponents with heavy armor or heavy natural armor. You never want players to think they should not attack an important enemy because their sword might break. LATER EDIT: Looks like this might be a non-issue.
Last edited by Kaybe on Sun 05 Feb 2023, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.

Mcgibs

Sun 05 Feb 2023, 21:15

The armour durability thing is an odd add, but I don't think it's as big a deal as it first looks like:
A maximally armoured opponent with plate armour and a great helm has armour 8, and the only weapons with less than 8 durability are knives, improvised weapons, and ranged weapons (don't hit people with your bow).
Even a basic wooden club or staff cannot be broken by hitting armour. So basically all it's saying is "if you smash this fully plate knight with a tree branch, it will break on their armour". Fair enough. Even then, you still have to deal enough damage to actually have it "reflect" back and break the weapon (if I hit a knight with a tree branch and only roll a 5 for damage, the attack bounces but my branch doesnt break either)

Judging by the bestiary, monster armour is generally kept pretty low (even a dragon only has 6), so unless you homebrew something with crazy high armour, I don't actually see this impacting most encounters that much.

CarlNyk

Sun 05 Feb 2023, 21:30

Yes, weapon breaking on striking armour is mostly for comedic effect. Theoretically, a knife can break on a fullplate armor (+helm), but the only likely scenario is when you take whatever is at hand and smash it into an ironclad warrior. A chair, wine bottle or table leg.

Kaybe

Sun 05 Feb 2023, 22:29

Good point ... and actually leads to another question:

From what I'm reading, durability damage does not carry over right? So if the weapon took 8 damage but it's durability is 12, it doesn't mean that the next hit could break the weapon if it only takes 4 damage, right?

Short Fey

Sun 05 Feb 2023, 22:37

Good point ... and actually leads to another question:

From what I'm reading, durability damage does not carry over right? So if the weapon took 8 damage but it's durability is 12, it doesn't mean that the next hit could break the weapon if it only takes 4 damage, right?
No. It only breaks if it takes damage that exceeds the durability. So if the durability is 12, they gotta deal 13 points of damage or more to break it.
Beware the fey!

Kaybe

Sun 05 Feb 2023, 22:42

No. It only breaks if it takes damage that exceeds the durability. So if the durability is 12, they gotta deal 13 points of damage or more to break it.
Uhm, I think you may have missed my meaning. I know the durability. What I mean is does damage carry over? If I parry an 8 damage slashing attack on round 1 and then another, say, 6 damage on round 2, does that break the weapon because 8+6 is higher than 12? Or does it have to be over 12 damage on a single hit to the weapon to break it?

Short Fey

Sun 05 Feb 2023, 22:43

Uhm, I think you may have missed my meaning. I know the durability. What I mean is does damage carry over? If I parry an 8 damage slashing attack on round 1 and then another, say, 6 damage on round 2, does that break the weapon because 8+6 is higher than 12? Or does it have to be over 12 damage on a single hit to the weapon to break it?
Single hit.
Beware the fey!

zcthu3

Mon 06 Feb 2023, 00:22

Poisons. As written poisons have no effect on Monsters, but this seems overly restrictive on their use. While I can understand some monsters being immune (eg undead), I can totally see some creatures being affected eg griffons, minotaurs etc. rather than the default rule having monsters being immune, has some thought been given to just having poisons have automatically limited effect on monsters and having some be fully immune?

Lordbahj

Mon 06 Feb 2023, 04:13

Page 46. Shields - "There is no skill for shields – instead you can use any STR-based melee skill (i.e. any of them except KNIVES and STAVES) to parry with a shield."

This is just my opinion, but I feel like there is a better mechanic than this. I understand not wanting to add a shield skill. But I think being able to roll ANY STR-based weapon skill makes no sense. If I have a sword and shield, but wish to parry then I can choose to roll axes because it is a higher chance of success? I think it should at least be the STR-based skill of the weapon you're currently wielding, or just a STR roll instead.