Doktor
Topic Author

Thoughts on marvellous artefact

Sat 04 Feb 2023, 07:25

Thinking of something a little different for a bold/swift 7/4/4 ranger captain player who acquired the heir of Arnor virtue. He wants a ring but wants to be surprised and I want to help the party with upcoming undead challenges. I was leaning for an awe blessing but with a tweak: it would work as a standard ring of awe (+2d) but with favoured rolls instead of the usual capacity of a magic success and ignores the Heartless fell ability of undead. Do you see balancing issues? Thoughts?

Michele

Re: Thoughts on marvellous artefact

Mon 06 Feb 2023, 17:10

I don't see any balancing problems: the inability to obtain a magical success is counterbalanced by a less powerful, but permanent, effect. It's sort of a middle ground between a useful item and a real magic item.

Given its ability to ignore the Heartless fell ability of the Undead, it would not be out of place if the object also had a Bane of the Undead, despite not being a Famous Weapon or Armour. ;)
It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Harlath

Mon 06 Feb 2023, 18:24

I don't see any balancing problems: the inability to obtain a magical success is counterbalanced by a less powerful, but permanent, effect. It's sort of a middle ground between a useful item and a real magic item.

Given its ability to ignore the Heartless fell ability of the Undead, it would not be out of place if the object also had a Bane of the Undead, despite not being a Famous Weapon or Armour. ;)
Thanks for swinging past on this Michele, both on the specific points but also just to say it is nice to see someone who worked on the game encourage playing around with its frameworks. Not just that, but laying out sensible ways of comparing things against the existing framework. :)

Doktor
Topic Author

Tue 07 Feb 2023, 03:09

Thank you so much, it's boosting my confidence as loremaster!