Helmaer
Topic Author

A question for the community:

Sun 22 Jan 2023, 09:28

Looking through the rules, while food rationing and gathering are covered, the rules for water, as I found them, were more sparse.
You start with (generally) D6 water rations, each day of water weighs 1/2, and you need to consume 1 ration/day or risk the deadly and rapid onset of the dehydration condition. All good there.
Then to gather water (outside of finding a well or trading), you can Forage. When foraging for water, success means that you find enough drinkable water to fill your water bottles. But what does that actually mean?? What is the water capacity each person carries? What about animals? Vehicles? If the party finds clean water, how many day-rations will this equate to?
Have I missed something in the rules? Alternatively, how are other GMs handling this?

Fenhorn

Re: A question for the community:

Sun 22 Jan 2023, 10:08

How much water you can carry depends on how many containers you have. So if a starting character have 2 rations of water, he also have containers that can hold 2 rations of water.

How hard it is to find suitable containers (i.e. plastic bottles and cans) will probably depend on where you are, but smaller containers that can be carried around should be fairly easy to find. One easy way to do this is to whenever the players are scrounging, also just assume that they also find some containers (and perhaps some other generic scrap that should be in the area) that should fit to be used to hold water or they could barter for them (probably worth 1 for a container that can hold 1 water ration). Such smaller empty containers doesn't themselves weigh anything (within reason).

A nicer approach is to just assume that there will always be enough containers around. In this case, the limiting factor is the weight of the water rations.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Vcutter

Mon 23 Jan 2023, 00:35

Also if you want to get more creative remember that the encumbrance units are not just weight but how easy/hard an item is to carry. You can get mean by giving them jerry cans that hold more water but due to their size and shape they might "weight" more than they carry.
And vice versa, in my campaign "camelbacks" and other water bladders are rare items that are highly sought after because they carry 2 units of water at the weight of one.

FatherJ_ct

Thu 02 Feb 2023, 16:53

Finding a water source like stream river or lake.. you can fill to your heart's content...or containers you have and can carry.

...but...their is risk of disease and radiation with said water too.

Did they recon/see the dead body under the water or deal animal(s) nearby? ;)

I added jerry cans and camelpacks to my foundry vtt as well. Plus the 20L bladders. But the bladders and camelpacks have like rel 1.

Reminds me...i need to make sure duck tape/thousand mile an hour tape in in the items. Unless you just want to say it is in "basic tools"