Hortum
Topic Author

In regards to the OGL

Thu 05 Jan 2023, 21:37

I know it's a bit early to make judgments, but in the last couple of days a lot of speculation has been going around about WoTC intending to terminate the OGL 1.0(a). As a potential content creator that wishes to use the Year Zero Engine, if that were to be the case, would Free League release the SRD under a new license, for example creative commons or something akin to MÖRK BORG/Cy_Borg.

Sorry, I know this is sudden a based on unofficial rumors :)

perakob

Re: In regards to the OGL

Thu 05 Jan 2023, 23:17

Seconding this!
As someone planning to release a Year Zero game under the OGL license, I think this is a good time for FL to reconsider using another framework for licensing the core rules (for instance Creative Commons).

AdamG

Fri 06 Jan 2023, 06:27

I've been developing a game using YZE for the past two years. I'm concerned about this as well.

Snorri Gygax

Fri 06 Jan 2023, 11:20

Same here. Maybe it's a little too soon until WotC makes firmer moves, but Free League should make a statement, as soon as possible, regarding this matter of the utmost importance.

Gathgar

Sat 07 Jan 2023, 19:01

Tbh, since the YZE is an entirely different system from the d20 it shouldn't be complex to unhook from the OGL 1.0 and use something else. I believe that someone mentioned Creative Commons. But lets wait for the WOTCers make their move first.

"Those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it."

Cuffer

Tue 10 Jan 2023, 10:34

Personally I would love to see Free League take the opportunity to create their own ogl in the same way the cypher system has, regardless of what wotc decide to do. At least then they would be untouchable in regards to wotc decisions now or in the future.

Ps the system is fantastic and has a great community - would hate to see anything happen to it. I’m sure it’s in safe hands though.

inexperienceddm

Fri 13 Jan 2023, 01:17

With the recent statement from Paizo about their new system neutral OGL, I'm very curious as to what Free League will do here. Already some really big names on board such as Kobold Press, Green Ronin, Legendary Games, and others. Would really love to see Free League join up with this. Not only does it give a good message but it puts them in the same camp with one of the most progressive companies out there in Paizo.

9littlebees

Fri 13 Jan 2023, 02:03

Just came here to say the same thing about the new "Open RPG Creative License" (or ORC) that Paizo have created. Would be great to see the YZE OGL replaced with this, and might work for Ruins of Symbaroum and Lord of the Rings.

Details can be found on their blog at: https://paizo.com/community/blog. The actual blogpost is perpetually down, but you can read it from that link by expanding the post from 12th January 2023 entitled "Paizo Announces System-Neutral Open RPG License".

The direct link to the blogpost (when it eventually stops crashing) is here.
Last edited by 9littlebees on Fri 13 Jan 2023, 12:34, edited 4 times in total.
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

Vile Traveller

Fri 13 Jan 2023, 11:14

Not to mention the visibility "joining up" gives.
https://dreamscapedesign.net/
Crafting the finest table top role-playing games for your discerning diversion

Kaybe

Fri 13 Jan 2023, 16:58

The more big names that join up with Paizo in creating and embracing the new open license, the better. Free League has become a titan in the industry and their support would mean so very much.