MacDhomnuill

Re: Regarding Npc's, Monsters, Skills and Attributes.

Mon 30 Jan 2023, 16:49

Coming back to the subject, I think the issue could be solved by giving Monsters and NPCs only three stats: Might (covers Str and Con), Quickness(covers Dex), Wisdom (covers Int, Will, Cha).
It's kind of how the original Magic World booklet from the Worlds of Wonder boxed set did it: for monsters Size, Constitution, and Strength were merged into a single Size attribute.

Another solution I saw in some BRP stat blocks was only mentioning noteworthy attributes - consider the rest ten.
Honestly that's not a bad idea. "If it's not listed, its value is X" is very simple to keep track off.
I have just been using HP for that purpose, just have to keep an eye out for NPCs with the robust ability. Same goes for will power, I use it for a guideline for mental traits.

artikid

Sun 05 Feb 2023, 12:44

Well, the Game, as it is now, seems to imply that Monsters have a default proficiency of 15.

Arioch1973

Mon 06 Feb 2023, 01:26

Well, the Game, as it is now, seems to imply that Monsters have a default proficiency of 15.
That is for Parry and Evade, both which are skill rolls. The rules call for rolls vs attribute in several locations, yet the bestiary (npcs, creatures, etc.) do not have attributes. There is a fundamental design with BRP based games when you roll vs attributes, because there is no skill to cover what you try to do. With a relatively low number of skills in this game, the call for attribute rolls will be even more common. Some BRP derivatives such as Mythras bypasses the need for attribute rolls by having skills such as; Brawn (Str), Resilience (Con), and Persistence (WIL). They are used instead of attribute rolls. However, FL still does not seem to really get the point. We are at beta 3, and I only get the impression they are not even paying attention to any feedback we give them.