Vcutter
Topic Author

Share your Foundry use ideas

Tue 27 Dec 2022, 14:59

Although IRL gaming has many upsides, so do have the virtual tabletops. I switched from R20 to Foundry VTT about 6 months ago and decided to share some of the modules I use and how they enrich my TW game.
I really really would like to hear from other users of VTTs (especially Foundry), how they have enriched your gaming experience so please share your tips and tricks!

1. Naturally the official TW module by Stefouch is the cornerstone of my campaign. Don't forget to get get the recent "Year Zero Combat" module for initiative cards as well. Not gonna comment on these since I am pretty sure if you play TW on Foundry you have them. If not, go get them, TW module is sooo worth the price. Check out the wiki for it as well, many features under the hood.
2. Monks Active Tile Triggers. This was a game changer for me. I can create booby trapped tiles that play grenade sound and animated explosion if a person with low Recon skill goes there or clicks an item on the map etc. I also use MATT for sound traps, since stealth often plays part in an adventure. Players will hear crows cooing louder as they go nearer them and if they go near with low survival skill the birds will take off making louder sound. Clickable secret stashes, flooding rooms, the possibilities with MATT are endless. Highly recommend this module.
3. With a simple macro the lighting/vision of a player can be changed with a click. I modified official rules a bit when it comes to NVGs and they increase the range of vision as well in my game by a few hexes (I play modern day campaign so it makes sense to increase range a bit too). Turning on NVG gives the Foundry light amplification effect so the nice green "NVG" vision increases immersion. I also added the iconic "Splinter Cell" NVG turned on sound there as well just for laughs. Flashlights, narrow field of vision NVG gunsights... all these now have a concrete visual effect on the battlemap and players love it!
4. Merchants. I use the "Item Piles" module by Wasp for my merchants. I just populate their wares once a week or so and players can go see what is for sale and buy/sell stuff. Easy and they don't have to keep asking "well does he have this or that on offer" for every item they might want. I can also make PC/Merchant relations and campaign situation affect the prices of the items on sale as well.
5. "Mastercrafted", is a premium module by Ripper93 . I allows me to easily create recipes for different items and players can find those recipes (or simply know them) and then just collect the gear and make that stuff. Finally those spare parts come into play a bit more. I also added "rare" spare parts into the game so that players can now craft a bit more advanced items too in addition to the basic ones found in RAW. The game balance hasn't suffered and the desire to scrounge for rare item parts has increased. Players seem to enjoy finding "treasure" and then making their own gear.
6. "Farchievements" by Handyfon I added just for fun and giggles. The module adds video game style achievements to the game. Few examples I made: "Band of Brothers": Get unit morale to A, "Man Flu": have 2 diseases at the same time, "Beggar": Argue for XP although everyone knows that you didn't risk anything for your Big Dream/Moral Code. Stuff like that. I first thought players wouldn't care about this but it has already provided so many laughs at the table that I can only recommed trying it out!
7. "Simple Calendar" by Vigorator makes it easy to track when those wounds heal as well as the shifts of the day, not to mention campaign time and weather in general.
8. Chat Images by Bmarian. Simply drag and drop images from browser. This way it is easy to show players immediately what that MP5SD or BTR-80 actually looks like.

Of course I use other modules too like Soundboard, FXMaster, JB2A animations, Tokenmagic and some others for audio/visual flair but those are just window dressing so don't want to go through all those.
So: what modules do you use and how to make your Foundry TW:2000 stand out?

Oddball_E8

Re: Share your Foundry use ideas

Sun 01 Jan 2023, 10:44

3. With a simple macro the lighting/vision of a player can be changed with a click
So... is this something you made yourself or a module?

Vcutter
Topic Author

Mon 02 Jan 2023, 23:00

Made it ”myself”, meaning begging for help on discord and lot of cut and paste and trial and error. :D
I’m on vacation this week and away from PC but can PM it to you next week if you are interested.

Oddball_E8

Tue 03 Jan 2023, 05:05

Sure, that'd be great.

FatherJ_ct

Thu 05 Jan 2023, 08:18

Vcutter, thanks for posting this. The NVG sounds cool. Wonder if you could do similar for thermal

I have been building up my twilight world in foundry, here is my foundry module list as of today:
### Active Modules
Always HP v10.4
Ambient Doors v2.3.3
Background Volume v1.5.3
Better Roll Tables v1.8.95
Chat Images v3.2
Chat Message Accessibility Indicators v1.0.0
Chat Message Timestamp v0.2.1
Chat Portrait v0.8.26
Colored Folder Contents v2.0.1
Combat Enhancements v1.2.1
Combat Focus v1.4.2
Compendium Folders v2.5.6
Connection Monitor v1.2.2
DFreds Chat Pins v2.0.1
DF Scene Enhancement v3.6.0
Dice So Nice! v4.6.5
Dice Tray v1.5.3
Drag Ruler v1.13.2
Drag Upload (Get Over Here!) v2.2.2
Forien's Quest Log v0.7.11
FXMaster v3.5.2
Weather FX v1.5.0
Library: Active effect manager v0.1.24
libWrapper v1.12.11.0
socketlib v1.0.12
Maestro v0.9.0
Cthulhu Architect - Free Modern Maps v2.0.0
Melvin's Mechanical Masterworks v2.3.0
Module Management+ v2.1.5
Monk's Active Tile Triggers v10.10
Monk's Enhanced Journal v10.9
Monk's Hotbar Expansion v10.1
PopOut! v2.10
Popout Resizer v1.4.2
Simple Calendar v2.1.60
Weather Control v4.1.9
Stream View v1.3.0
Token Attacher v4.5.11
FoundryVTT Mount Up!
Tokenizer v3.10.1
Token Z v0.8
Twilight: 2000 (4th Edition) - Core Set v2.0.0
Year Zero Engine: Combat v1.0.0
Zoom/Pan Options v1.8.6

I just recommend bookmarking https://foundryvtt.com/packages/modules so that you can easily look up more details on the modules, that and youtube videos. I will point out that with the module management+ gives you extra funtionality for module management. I recommend people take advantage of the top left button for Manage preset and creating a "baseline" preset for the basic active modules you run and then a "current running" preset of active modules that you are confident are working on top of the basic. Can help in troubleshooting module problems where you deactivate modules, find the culprit (which is another module you can use to assist with that) and having a preset allows you to set all the modules back to the preset you choose. Also exporting the module list from time to time as backup.

Once I have run some games, pruned modules not really used or added some more, I will have to share out the updated list with what I am using it for.

Vcutter
Topic Author

Fri 06 Jan 2023, 16:17

I considered various ways of doing thermal but didn’t figure any that would work with nice visuals while keeping it at least somewhat realistic.
Simply changing vision rgb codes for ”night vision mode” won’t do it since the problem is that Foundry of course doesn’t know what radiates heat and what does not.

I was thinking of using the V10 included ”Tremor sense” somehow since that would at least highlight enemy tokens and visuals and colors can always be modified.
Problem there is that despite hollywood thermal irl will not show stuff through walls. I am still tempted to try this route simply because it would offer some ”gameplay” tactical advantage for thermal on the battlemap. Perhaps really short range and explaining that in a 10meter hex thermal will pick up movement as there are cracks in walls etc?
Still the realist in me keeps fighting this:D

FatherJ_ct

Mon 09 Jan 2023, 02:41

I was thinking of using the V10 included ”Tremor sense” somehow since that would at least highlight enemy tokens and visuals and colors can always be modified.
I think using the tremor sense is a great idea to use as a quick and dirty thermal

Mr Oldtimer

Mon 20 Mar 2023, 15:52

Thank you for sharing your set ups. I use most of those modules myself, in all of my Free League games.
I could also recomend the "Lock View" module for those theater of the mind scenes, "Moulinette" to search sound, tiles and icons. And "Ownership Viewer" to see what player has access to what journals.

Mr Oldtimer

Mon 20 Mar 2023, 15:52

3. With a simple macro the lighting/vision of a player can be changed with a click. I modified official rules a bit when it comes to NVGs and they increase the range of vision as well in my game by a few hexes (I play modern day campaign so it makes sense to increase range a bit too). Turning on NVG gives the Foundry light amplification effect so the nice green "NVG" vision increases immersion. I also added the iconic "Splinter Cell" NVG turned on sound there as well just for laughs. Flashlights, narrow field of vision NVG gunsights... all these now have a concrete visual effect on the battlemap and players love it!
Sounds interesting. Would you mind sharing it?

Vcutter
Topic Author

Tue 21 Mar 2023, 12:06

Sure thing. PM sent.