Nils
Site Admin
Topic Author

Dragonbane BETA v2 Rulebook Feedback - Chapter 7 Bestiary

Thu 22 Dec 2022, 13:07

Hi!

Please use this thread to post feedback and report any typos or errors in chapter 7 of the BETA PDF of the Rulebook Dragonbane. Guidelines to remember:
  • Before reporting an error, please check and see if it already has been reported, and if so, don't report it again.
  • If you feedbacked on something in the the first version of the BETA but it's not changed in the version two of the BETA, it's not because we missed it - it's because we made a different assessment. (Typos are a different thing.)
  • Please report your feedback no later than January 31.
Thank you!
Fria Ligan

Von Ether

Re: Dragonbane BETA v2 Rulebook Feedback - Chapter 7 Bestiary

Thu 22 Dec 2022, 18:00

The Wraith still does not have a skill level to use its morningstar to Parry.

I am missing. Its other peace of gear, chainmail, establishes the creatures armor, so it seems gear matters when using this creature.

On the other hand, if I am missing something (like the Wraith never parries), please let me know what I am mis-reading or missed.

Fenhorn

Thu 22 Dec 2022, 18:11

I am missing. Its other peace of gear, chainmail, establishes the creatures armor, so it seems gear matters when using this creature.

On the other hand, if I am missing something (like the Wraith never parries), please let me know what I am mis-reading or missed.

p.84 'Fighting Monsters
<> Roll against a default skill level of 15 for all dodges and parries by monsters.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Von Ether

Thu 22 Dec 2022, 22:53

p.84 'Fighting Monsters
<> Roll against a default skill level of 15 for all dodges and parries by monsters.
Ah, ha! Thank you both Fenhorn and Free League. I was thinking 14, so I was only one point off! Happy Holidays!

Short Fey

Wed 28 Dec 2022, 11:22

p 89, Giant Spider's Web attack: "On failure the victim is caught in the web and unable to move. It takes a successful STR roll with a bane (action) to break free. Other can help."

Probably should be "Others" can help?
Beware the fey!

Short Fey

Wed 28 Dec 2022, 17:25

Page 99, regarding common animals. Some of them have awareness, but not all of them. Considering the Heroic Ability "Companion" states the animal that you have befriended can "scout" (I assume do an Awareness check) for you, wouldn't it make sense that some more of them has that skill?
Beware the fey!

zcthu3

Thu 29 Dec 2022, 10:52

I quite like the very simple monsters, but reading over the spells (in particular) has raised some concerns around the lack of attributes as a way of adjudicating resistance rolls (e.g. for Acrobatics rolls to resist Pillar or Stonewall). I also note that the ‘NPC’ monsters (e.g. goblins etc) don’t have all skills or attributes listed and end up in the same situation. What does a Goblin roll to break free of Entangling Roots without a STR score - they treated as NPCs in a combat situation so presumably that is the same for spells?

I note that there has already been a default Evade/Parry rating added for situations where skills are not listed, but this should be widened to cover other situations that might arise - perhaps Monsters should have a ‘Defence’ or ‘Resistance’ or a default attribute rating for when a Monster needs to resist an effect (e.g. for Orcs, where there is no specific skill or attribute, assume an Attribute of 10 and an (untrained) skill rating of 5). This avoids the need for all attributes to be provided but provides an indication of what they would need to roll to resist spells etc.)

Short Fey

Thu 29 Dec 2022, 11:03

I quite like the very simple monsters, but reading over the spells (in particular) has raised some concerns around the lack of attributes as a way of adjudicating resistance rolls (e.g. for Acrobatics rolls to resist Pillar or Stonewall). I also note that the ‘NPC’ monsters (e.g. goblins etc) don’t have all skills or attributes listed and end up in the same situation. What does a Goblin roll to break free of Entangling Roots without a STR score - they treated as NPCs in a combat situation so presumably that is the same for spells?

I note that there has already been a default Evade/Parry rating added for situations where skills are not listed, but this should be widened to cover other situations that might arise - perhaps Monsters should have a ‘Defence’ or ‘Resistance’ or a default attribute rating for when a Monster needs to resist an effect (e.g. for Orcs, where there is no specific skill or attribute, assume an Attribute of 10 and an (untrained) skill rating of 5). This avoids the need for all attributes to be provided but provides an indication of what they would need to roll to resist spells etc.)
+1
Beware the fey!

Johnmarron

Thu 29 Dec 2022, 16:19

Yes, I think having a default skill/attribute value for all monsters, whether they are treated as an NPC or not, with specific skills/attributes that they are better at called out would work pretty well. For example, Orcs have a default skill/attribute value of 10, with a Strength of 14 and Axes 12. You could even call out specific weaknesses, like Orcs having a Sneaking of 6. "Monster" monsters already have a default value for dodge/parry of 15, but I think expanding this would be very useful.

zcthu3

Thu 29 Dec 2022, 19:22

Yes, I think having a default skill/attribute value for all monsters, whether they are treated as an NPC or not, with specific skills/attributes that they are better at called out would work pretty well. For example, Orcs have a default skill/attribute value of 10, with a Strength of 14 and Axes 12. You could even call out specific weaknesses, like Orcs having a Sneaking of 6. "Monster" monsters already have a default value for dodge/parry of 15, but I think expanding this would be very useful.
It’d also be useful for the stock NPCs on page 105 (Chapter 8).