Ravencloak

Re: Dragonbane BETA v2 Rulebook Feedback - Chapter 6 Gear

Sat 31 Dec 2022, 21:47

p. 78 "Torch"
While mention is made of using a torch as a weapon, nowhere in the book are stats given for doing such. One has to sift through the "Improvised weapon" cards to finally find either "Firewood" or "Torch" dealing 2d6 fire damage.

Speaking of which, "fire damage" is not described as a type of damage (only piercing, slashing, and bludgeoning), even though several creatures (the Salamander, ghosts, wights) are mentioned to either be immune to it, or only damaged by it.
On page 52, Darkness, Torches & Lanterns, it states that a torch "counts as a small wooden club that deals fire damage." Unfortunately, there's no mention of how much fire damage it would cause and Fire is missing from the "Other Hazards" section.

The "treat as a small wooden club" bit should also be repeated in the Light Sources table on page 78.

MacDhomnuill

Mon 02 Jan 2023, 07:45

p. 78 "Torch"
While mention is made of using a torch as a weapon, nowhere in the book are stats given for doing such. One has to sift through the "Improvised weapon" cards to finally find either "Firewood" or "Torch" dealing 2d6 fire damage.

Speaking of which, "fire damage" is not described as a type of damage (only piercing, slashing, and bludgeoning), even though several creatures (the Salamander, ghosts, wights) are mentioned to either be immune to it, or only damaged by it.
On page 52, Darkness, Torches & Lanterns, it states that a torch "counts as a small wooden club that deals fire damage." Unfortunately, there's no mention of how much fire damage it would cause and Fire is missing from the "Other Hazards" section.

The "treat as a small wooden club" bit should also be repeated in the Light Sources table on page 78.
Fire damage is a type of damage like bludgeoning, or slashing. So a torch would do D8 fire damage.

Ebrim

Tue 03 Jan 2023, 18:25

Backpacks could use up one of your three “at hand” slots to make them less of a non-choice.
I don’t think I understand “non-choice” here? Backpacks seem to be an “always choose” option? I think two slots is too small however.
Right, exactly. By non-choice I think I mean the same thing as your “always choice”. That is to say it’s something everyone will want to get if they have the gold because it really has no cost.

What I’m proposing by having it take up an “at-hand” slot is to make it an interesting choice. You can choose to maximize for carrying weapons/shields or for carrying gear/treasure by whether or not you bring a backpack.

Short Fey

Tue 03 Jan 2023, 19:35

Backpacks could use up one of your three “at hand” slots to make them less of a non-choice.
I don’t think I understand “non-choice” here? Backpacks seem to be an “always choose” option? I think two slots is too small however.
Right, exactly. By non-choice I think I mean the same thing as your “always choice”. That is to say it’s something everyone will want to get if they have the gold because it really has no cost.

What I’m proposing by having it take up an “at-hand” slot is to make it an interesting choice. You can choose to maximize for carrying weapons/shields or for carrying gear/treasure by whether or not you bring a backpack.
While i do not agree on having the backpack in the "at-hand" slot (I think that would be awkward to use), i can agree that the backpack might be too good as is (I can understand it is their in case your playing a low STR character. Having only 4 inventory slots is VERY limited).

What i would choose to do is instead would be to remove the backpack, make an "Container" slot on your character sheet, which you can carry one kind of "container" that gives you some benefit to your inventory. This could include Quivers and Slingstone pouches, but if i where to spitball some other ideas i would say:

Leather Satchel: Your carry capacity is increased by 1.
Coin Purse: You can carry up too 200 coins of any coinage without them counting as an item.
Waterskin: You can carry within this up to 3 units of liquid without it counting as an item.
Lamphook: You can attach a Lantern or Oil Lamp, making you able to carry it without using one of your hands.
Medicine bag: You can carry two items out of the Medicin category without it counting as an item.
Beware the fey!

Short Fey

Fri 06 Jan 2023, 01:59

Page 73 "Subtle: "The weapon grants a boon and increased damage when performing sneak attacks (page 43)."

If we then go over to what it says on Sneak attacks it reads:

Page 43 about sneak attacks: "When you sneak up on someone undetected and perform an attack, it is called a sneak attack. First you make a SNEAKING roll. Moving close enough to attack in melee combat (within 2 meters) gives you a bane. If you fail, the enemy notices you – draw initiative. If you succeed your attack counts as surprising, which means that can choose any initiative card you want. You also get a boon on the attack, and the target can neither dodge nor parry. Using a Subtle weapon increases the damage by one die (for example 2D8 instead of D8)."

So do i get a boon on the actual attack, or the sneaking? Considering i already have a boon on the attack from succeeding a Sneaking roll, i feel the effect as written is somewhat redundant. Plus the fact i get a bane on stealth checks to move up in melee it might discourage "dagger in the back" approaches sense doing at range with a ranged weapon would be safer to perform.

I'd say the effect should read: "You do not suffer a bane when attempting to perform a SNEAK ATTACK in melee range with this weapon, and on a success increases the damage by one die."
Beware the fey!

jasales

Fri 06 Jan 2023, 20:56

Sleeping Pelt or Sleeping Fur?

All of the gear tables listed for professions list a sleeping pelt but the table on page 77 lists it as sleeping fur. Same thing but consistency of term would be good.

JohnWithAgun

Thu 12 Jan 2023, 09:50

I will again request that a mention of the optional armor rules on page 50, be on or near the armor table on page 73.

RobJN

Sat 14 Jan 2023, 17:56

p. 78 "Torch"

Fire damage is a type of damage like bludgeoning, or slashing. So a torch would do D8 fire damage.
According to page 45:
DAMAGE TYPES
There are three types of damage: slashing, piercing, and bludgeoning. The damage types of various weapons are listed in the weapon tables in chapter 6. Some weapons, such as swords, can inflict both slashing damage and piercing damage – you must state whether you stab or slash before rolling the die. The damage type influences the effectiveness of armor, and monsters can be resistant to certain types of damage.
Skeletons, for instance, take half damage from piercing damage. Fair enough.
Wights can only be damaged by magical weapons or fire damage. Likewise ghosts are immune to all but magic and fire attacks.
In the magic chapter, the fire-based Elementalism spells only state that they deal XdX damage, and set flammable objects alight. It does not call out that damage as "fire damage."

Raven

Tue 17 Jan 2023, 19:05

My thoughts on weapons and armor:

Is the Halberd used with spears, axes or staves?

There is no Rapier in the list.

A few more options for armor would be nice. Maybe a scalemale and a half plate or something. Maybe a speed reduction would be a good thing to.
I cant see why leather should be good against bludgeoning damage.

Two handet weapons are insanely strong. Because of the high str requirements the wielder always get a decent Damage Bonus + the high dice from the weapons.
Because of the massive damage of two handet weapons there should be maybe a skill for that. Something like use the lowest of „swords“ and „Two handet“ for a two handet sword (like with the mounted combat)

Why should a scimitar have the tobbling quality?

VorpalMace

Tue 17 Jan 2023, 22:52

I cant see why leather should be good against bludgeoning damage.
Maybe padded or quilt armour would be a better name.
There is no Rapier in the list.
I don't miss it. It's a 15th-16th century weapon. It fits as much into the implied setting as gunpowder.
Why should a scimitar have the tobbling quality?
I have a hunch the logic was that it's good for tripping opponents for being curved. That would be more fitting for khopesh though, and I would give some mounted combat bonus to scimitar.