Von Ether

Re: Dragonbane BETA v2 Rulebook Feedback - Chapter 6 Gear

Wed 18 Jan 2023, 05:32

There is no Rapier in the list.
Why would it be there?

As a note, the classic D&D list is very anachronistic and cherry picks as well since muskets are oddly absent. It's been more implied than anything else that the D&D equipment list should be curated. If your game is early medieval, plate mail armor should not available. Just like a list of magic items in a D&D book shouldn't be a magic shoppe.

Raven

Wed 18 Jan 2023, 11:24

There is no Rapier in the list.
Why would it be there?

As a note, the classic D&D list is very anachronistic and cherry picks as well since muskets are oddly absent. It's been more implied than anything else that the D&D equipment list should be curated. If your game is early medieval, plate mail armor should not available. Just like a list of magic items in a D&D book shouldn't be a magic shoppe.
We are talking about a generic fantasy rpg right? In Fantasy different cultures have different technological levels. For me a wider range of weapons would be totale ok. Even stuff like stone or bone axes for the more primitive kin.

Nagisawa

Mon 23 Jan 2023, 21:25

Not sure this is the right place because this touches on two sections of the book, but will we get to see any example of Magical Items?

Warhippo

Tue 31 Jan 2023, 10:58

Not sure this is the right place because this touches on two sections of the book, but will we get to see any example of Magical Items?
You'll get no disagreement from me since I raised this a few weeks back. A few examples of magic items (including weaponry) is essential, especially since more than one monster has resistance to non-magical weapons....so why aren't there any examples of magic swords, magic bows, etc?

macbrazel

Wed 01 Feb 2023, 20:36

There's the demonslayer sword in the Riddermound adventure, it counts as a magic weapon and glows when Demons are... within 10 meters I think? But that is just one example, more would be good!

Mcgibs

Wed 01 Feb 2023, 20:55

The generic magic section is basically a 'build your own magic item' system by using magic seal, charge, and permanence. Just combine those with any item and spell, and presto! Quick magic items.
Id rather they not clutter the rulebook with generic magic items (maybe just a couple paragraphs of how to roll them up, and some random tables for fluff like names,) and instead focus on making unique magic items within adventure modules, like they have with the daemon/dragon sword, or bone mask.

Nagisawa

Thu 02 Feb 2023, 03:42

The generic magic section is basically a 'build your own magic item' system by using magic seal, charge, and permanence. Just combine those with any item and spell, and presto! Quick magic items.
Id rather they not clutter the rulebook with generic magic items (maybe just a couple paragraphs of how to roll them up, and some random tables for fluff like names,) and instead focus on making unique magic items within adventure modules, like they have with the daemon/dragon sword, or bone mask.
Some of us, myself namely, are not that imaginative. I've never played Drakar och Demoner in any edition, so I need some examples to know what I can build. I need a baseline to work from.

Rathalos32

Fri 03 Feb 2023, 16:40

Hey guys, question about Axes and Hammers weapons, is there really a reason to use bludgeoning weapons instead of slashing ones? Besides the optional rule that increase the armor of some armors based on the damage type (and the durability?), I don't really se a reason to use it, for at least the slashing have the Double Slash HA. Do you guys see something more?

Fenhorn

Fri 03 Feb 2023, 16:46

Hey guys, question about Axes and Hammers weapons, is there really a reason to use bludgeoning weapons instead of slashing ones? Besides the optional rule that increase the armor of some armors based on the damage type (and the durability?), I don't really se a reason to use it, for at least the slashing have the Double Slash HA. Do you guys see something more?
Sometimes you use a weapon because of the cool factor 8-)
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Ravencloak

Sat 04 Feb 2023, 07:33

Page 78, Tools table: Needle & Thread - Mends clothes with a BUSHCRAFT roll. It should be CRAFT roll.
Along these lines, it seems odd to me that there is an entry in the Services table (page 80) for Clothes Repair (which I would change to "Clothing Repair"), but there aren't entries for weapon or armor repair. I get that characters can use CRAFT to repair their gear, but that's also true of clothing.

I can also see my players using a cart or a wagon and at some point needing to get it repaired. Even just hourly rates for blacksmiths and carpenters would be helpful.