First Age

Re: Dragonbane BETA v2 Rulebook Feedback - Chapter 5 Magic

Wed 28 Dec 2022, 22:12

When playing our family game of Dragonbane, the Mage player felt her Fireball was a bit of a let down compared to the elf's bow attack (with AGL bonus). Should there be a similar WIL damage bonus for magic?
First Age
https://fae.ttrpg.uk

Short Fey

Wed 28 Dec 2022, 22:25

When playing our family game of Dragonbane, the Mage player felt her Fireball was a bit of a let down compared to the elf's bow attack (with AGL bonus). Should there be a similar WIL damage bonus for magic?
It is worth noting Fire can bypass resistances, and the Fireball is the weakest of the "Fireball" chain. You'll eventually (how fast demepnding on the GM) replace it with Fire blast which will deal more consistent damage. (In my group, my elf hunter felt useless as her arrows pinged borderline harmlessly against the opponents armor, while the mage played a very key role in taking on the same in the first adventure)
Beware the fey!

First Age

Thu 29 Dec 2022, 00:07

It is worth noting Fire can bypass resistances, and the Fireball is the weakest of the "Fireball" chain. You'll eventually (how fast demepnding on the GM) replace it with Fire blast which will deal more consistent damage. (In my group, my elf hunter felt useless as her arrows pinged borderline harmlessly against the opponents armor, while the mage played a very key role in taking on the same in the first adventure)
Time will tell then, let's see.
First Age
https://fae.ttrpg.uk

Melvin

Thu 29 Dec 2022, 01:35

Arrows and swords don't need willpower to be used. When the spellcaster is out of it, the others will feel more useful and the mage useless.

zcthu3

Thu 29 Dec 2022, 09:42

The Banish spell does not list any effects for higher power levels - as written it simply holds undead or demons at bay for a stretch (or forces them to move away if too close), irrespective of how powerful the undead or demon is, at PL1. There is no point casting it at a higher PL.

My first thought was that this meant to be a resisted effect (at least after the first round - ie. monsters could try and push their way through) like Ensnaring Roots or Engulfing Forests where the power level affects how easy it is to resist, i.e. with a Boon at PL1 and a Bane at PL3, but if that is the case then undead and demons need some method to overcome it as they can’t engage in opposed rolls without skills or attributes. Perhaps a modification of the Dodging and Parrying rules is appropriate i.e. it defaults to 15 unless specified otherwise (although that is likely to be too strong for things like skeletons, so maybe 15 for Monsters or 10 for those treated like normal combatants).

If this isn’t able to be resisted then this spell seems overpowered as it effectively makes it impossible for any demon or undead (irrespective of the monster’s power) to approach within 10m of the Animist for 15 minutes and can be cast over and over again (or at least until the Animist runs out of Willpower). Even the Demon, Ghost and Wight Monsters effects with range are generally “within 10m” so would be of limited use as they can’t approach within 10m (although anyone not the caster is potentially a viable target even if within the area of effect). It is also unclear whether the Animist can move the area of effect by moving their focus (I.e. can they move through a room carrying their focus?), or is it stationary? I presume the later but would be good to clarify.

Basically as written this makes the animist pretty much immune to demons and ghosts. I would suggest either providing a resistance roll modified by the PL for the Monster or limiting the area of the effect by Power Level (e.g. PL1 is a 5m radius sphere (so protects from physical attacks but not necessarily other effects) PL2 is a 10m sphere (so protects the caster from most effects and others from physical effects), and PL3 is a 15m sphere (so provides a buffer to protect more people).
Last edited by zcthu3 on Thu 29 Dec 2022, 10:34, edited 6 times in total.

zcthu3

Thu 29 Dec 2022, 10:11

The Pillar and Stonewall spells requires Acrobatics rolls to avoid falling off the pillar. There is nothing in the spell indicating what a Monster would roll (given they have no skills) and I don’t see why they would be immune to the effect (there may be exceptions for Large or Huge monsters or those that can fly).

I also note that those monsters treated as NPCs (e.g. Goblins, Orcs, Skeletons) don’t have an Acrobatics skill to roll (they do have Evasion).

JohnWithAgun

Thu 12 Jan 2023, 12:11

Page 70: Stone Skin.

Do this come with any of the draw backs of plate armor or is it "free"?
(Power level 3 is 8 armor which equal full plate. but full plate is a lot of gold and banes)

This spell along with power fist and flight makes a late-game character that is basically a super hero, dont know if thats intended :P

Fenhorn

Thu 12 Jan 2023, 12:22

Page 70: Stone Skin.

Do this come with any of the draw backs of plate armor or is it "free"?
(Power level 3 is 8 armor which equal full plate. but full plate is a lot of gold and banes)

This spell along with power fist and flight makes a late-game character that is basically a super hero, dont know if thats intended :P
It is good, magic should be good, but 8 armor will cost 6 WP and will only last a stretch and also require a skill use, that may fail, which will just drain you of 6 WP (or worse if you get a mishap).

I do think "late-game characters" are suppose to be very good at what they do.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Arioch1973

Fri 13 Jan 2023, 00:11

I see that Fireball can be parried or dodged. That kind of makes sense if you hit the burning mass that is the fireball and redirect it, since it is a ball.
Fire blast, I am not sure how they envisioned it looking, but maybe that is just a larger ball of fire, which can be parried and dodged.
However, looking at the illustration for Firebird, it seems pretty much insane that it can be parried.

Fenhorn

Fri 13 Jan 2023, 00:18

I see that Fireball can be parried or dodged. That kind of makes sense if you hit the burning mass that is the fireball and redirect it, since it is a ball.
Fire blast, I am not sure how they envisioned it looking, but maybe that is just a larger ball of fire, which can be parried and dodged.
However, looking at the illustration for Firebird, it seems pretty much insane that it can be parried.
Well, that picture may be a Power Level 3 Fire Bird. That is 4d10 damage. Sure, it will be a very heroic block that will result in a damaged shield that is also on fire (and yes we don't have any "on fire" rules yet).
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore