Ravencloak

Re: Dragonbane BETA v2 Rulebook Feedback - Chapter 5 Magic

Mon 16 Jan 2023, 16:34

Spell Rank
I really don't see the point in spell rank. The only purpose it seems to serve is to duplicate the function of spell prerequisites (as pointed out earlier in this forum). Rank is explained as denoting "how complex and powerful" spells are, but again its only purpose seems to be to indicate that it should have a spell of one rank lower as a prerequisite. If that is truly the only purpose, then I'd suggest eliminating rank since it is less useful than the information listed under prerequisites. Then, the rules simply need to state that a beginning mage starts the game with basic spells only (those that have no prerequisites).

If rank truly measures the complexity of a spell, then that complexity should be reflected in making the spell more difficult to learn (e.g., rank penalty to the INT or LANGUAGES check) and more difficult to cast (e.g., rank penalty to the skill check). As the rules are right now, it is no more challenging for a mage to cast a rank 5 spell than a rank 1 spell.

Short Fey

Mon 16 Jan 2023, 16:55

Spell Rank
I really don't see the point in spell rank. The only purpose it seems to serve is to duplicate the function of spell prerequisites (as pointed out earlier in this forum). Rank is explained as denoting "how complex and powerful" spells are, but again its only purpose seems to be to indicate that it should have a spell of one rank lower as a prerequisite. If that is truly the only purpose, then I'd suggest eliminating rank since it is less useful than the information listed under prerequisites. Then, the rules simply need to state that a beginning mage starts the game with basic spells only (those that have no prerequisites).

If rank truly measures the complexity of a spell, then that complexity should be reflected in making the spell more difficult to learn (e.g., rank penalty to the INT or LANGUAGES check) and more difficult to cast (e.g., rank penalty to the skill check). As the rules are right now, it is no more challenging for a mage to cast a rank 5 spell than a rank 1 spell.
While it's not specifically stated, rank is also a way of seeing how common the spell is. Rank 1-2 are common enough to be easy to find and teachers more willing to teach, but rank 3-4 are rare, and teachers would be more reluctant to teach them these arcane secrets without grand compensation.

It can give the gm an idea of how easy/hard it should be for the players to find a spell of that rank. A rank one the local town wizard could teach for some sum of gold, a rank 4 would likely require an adventure of its own to even find someone/something that could teach it.
Beware the fey!

JohnWithAgun

Tue 17 Jan 2023, 11:09

I think changing rank from numeric to text description( like basic, intermediate, master and xx) would make it easier to differentiate from power level and thus reduce confusion/make it easier to understand.

The rank ≠ power level, confuses new players in my experience (forbidden lands).

artikid

Tue 17 Jan 2023, 11:36

If spell rank as a number serves no mechanical purpose, except to define a spell's rarity, I think that this purpose is best served with a description or tag, like common/ uncommon/ rare

Short Fey

Sat 21 Jan 2023, 02:09

Based on player feedback.

Would you be able to use Pillar and Stonewall to make bridges across gaps? And likewise can you raise them slowly (So you could use it like an elevator if your standing where it is raised)?
I thought these where good points so i think that at least letting you raise a pillar or a Stonewall slowly to be used as a way to let players get a vantage point without the risk of falling down sounds fun.
Beware the fey!

Arioch1973

Sun 22 Jan 2023, 13:27

My players keep mixing up spell rank and spell power level. The rank seems to fill no purpose since there is already requirements for each spell. Please remove the ranks.

macbrazel

Tue 24 Jan 2023, 08:20

Page 58 - Magic and Iron: This seems a bit vague. Define 'direct contact', please. Can you wear iron armor as long as your skin does not directly touch it? Can you use iron weapons if you're wearing gloves? I think the *intent* here is that you cannot wear iron armor of weapons AT ALL if you're casting magic, but it's very unclear and really needs clarification here as it can cause fierce debates at the game table due to the balancing nature of this restriction.
I just wanted to echo this request for more clarity. Can I build a shield mage? Do wooden or hide shields let me circumvent the metal issue for a mage? And if so, can I then just do a shield bash for 1d8 damage, which makes a shield mage better than a staff-build mage?

I am super excited about this game, I am so glad you are releasing it!

Short Fey

Tue 24 Jan 2023, 10:33

Page 58 - Magic and Iron: This seems a bit vague. Define 'direct contact', please. Can you wear iron armor as long as your skin does not directly touch it? Can you use iron weapons if you're wearing gloves? I think the *intent* here is that you cannot wear iron armor of weapons AT ALL if you're casting magic, but it's very unclear and really needs clarification here as it can cause fierce debates at the game table due to the balancing nature of this restriction.
I just wanted to echo this request for more clarity. Can I build a shield mage? Do wooden or hide shields let me circumvent the metal issue for a mage? And if so, can I then just do a shield bash for 1d8 damage, which makes a shield mage better than a staff-build mage?

I am super excited about this game, I am so glad you are releasing it!
It says specifically iron and steel, so as long it don't have too much iron/steel, and/or is made of a different material it should be fine.
Beware the fey!

macbrazel

Wed 25 Jan 2023, 05:02

Question about the General Magic spell 'Protector': do you have to designate the kind of monster you are warding your target against? Or does one casting of the spell give you 6 hours of protection from all monsters? Also, the spell mentions 'magical attacks'. Are all monster attacks magical attacks? Or is a dragon's fire breath magical, but claw attacks aren't?

Lordbahj

Sat 28 Jan 2023, 07:58

I’m confused about what skill is used to roll a spell. I must be missing it somewhere, but on page 25 it says you don’t get a base chance in secondary skills so I assume the “Elementalism” secondary skill doesn’t get a base chance. On page 59 it talks about rolling a spell and failure. So how does a Mage roll Animism? I would assume they use INT to establish their base chance and double it if they’re trained, but I can’t find that explained in the book.