Fenhorn

Re: Dragonbane BETA v2 Rulebook Feedback - Chapter 4 Combat & Damage

Tue 24 Jan 2023, 10:09

while i do agree with most that its way more piratical to have a square be 2 meters, it does create some side effect.
for example, currently all doorways are massive and a goblin can secure it :)
Of course a goblin can stand in your way. A goblin or human or whatever can easily stand in a 2m wide doorway and interfere with anyone that tries to get past him. If it is a goblin, then good he will most likely not be standing there for long.

... and since there are zones of control in this game, even if you had 1m squares (which wouldn't be very practical), he still would be able to interfere with anybody that tries to go past him.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Short Fey

Tue 24 Jan 2023, 10:31

while i do agree with most that its way more piratical to have a square be 2 meters, it does create some side effect.
for example, currently all doorways are massive and a goblin can secure it :)
The door itself don't have to be 2m wide. It just occupies within a 2m wide space (like the door covers the middle of those 2m with the rest being wall)
Beware the fey!

jasales

Tue 24 Jan 2023, 15:22

About spaces equal to the scale factor. Yes, I know the math is easy. No it is not too hard. But for such a streamlined game, the fact that all of the adventures have maps, the game comes with a grid battle map, that it is assumed you'll be using minis, it seems really silly that range is not equal to spaces. Why not? Just why not?

Lordbahj

Fri 27 Jan 2023, 16:13

"Shield: If you carry a shield, you can parry with it instead of your weapon, giving you a boon to the roll. There is no skill for shields – instead you can use any STR-based melee skill (i.e. any of them except KNIVES and STAVES) to parry with a shield."

I'm not the biggest fan of this ruling as is. I understand that by wielding a shield and using it to parry it grants a boon to your parry roll, but making that roll with just any old STR weapon skill seems like a miss. I would just assume make a shield skill since it can be used as a weapon as well or have the roll of parrying with a shield be a STR roll. At least being a STR roll offers a different 'feel' than rolling a weapon skill with a boon and I assume the same ballpark of success rate. That's just my opinion though.

Short Fey

Fri 27 Jan 2023, 16:41

"Shield: If you carry a shield, you can parry with it instead of your weapon, giving you a boon to the roll. There is no skill for shields – instead you can use any STR-based melee skill (i.e. any of them except KNIVES and STAVES) to parry with a shield."

I'm not the biggest fan of this ruling as is. I understand that by wielding a shield and using it to parry it grants a boon to your parry roll, but making that roll with just any old STR weapon skill seems like a miss. I would just assume make a shield skill since it can be used as a weapon as well or have the roll of parrying with a shield be a STR roll. At least being a STR roll offers a different 'feel' than rolling a weapon skill with a boon and I assume the same ballpark of success rate. That's just my opinion though.
I still think that giving shields their own skill would not be a good idea, sense it means if you wanna use a shield you gotta invest in the shield skill along with your weapon skill. And if you gotta invest in a second skill to survive, why not then invest in Evade that, while won't give you a boon, do's the same thing but better sense you can avoid most monster attacks with it?

The impression i get is that parrying is supposed to be the option you can always do as long as you have at leadt one decent weapon skill while evade is mainly useful if you invest in it. This makes shields useful in that as long your armed with a STR weapon you can defend yourself easier.

In fact when telling my beta group about parry and evade most woundered why you'd parry when evade seemed better, mainly being won over by the previously stated argument.
Beware the fey!

JohnWithAgun

Fri 27 Jan 2023, 17:17

There is the counterattack and parry-movement optional rule(page 46) to consider as well :)

JohnWithAgun

Fri 27 Jan 2023, 17:25

suggestion: Optional rules for flanking.
Could be a special attack added to the list on page 48 maybe :)

VorpalMace

Sun 29 Jan 2023, 13:44

Flanking is already deadly thanks to the limited number of parries and dodges. No need to make it deadlier, it would trivialize solo monsters, while also making PCs life harder against mob.

JohnWithAgun

Mon 30 Jan 2023, 10:19

Flanking is already deadly thanks to the limited number of parries and dodges. No need to make it deadlier, it would trivialize solo monsters, while also making PCs life harder against mob.
I could be something small, like a d4 extra damage (or other scaled down version of prone).
The idea was to draw more attention to battle-grid/map and make movement features such as the optional parry movement rule more important.
It would ofc, as i stated be an optional rule. if the tables wants more strategy and deadly combat.
But you are correct in there would need to be a rule for monsters, say the amount of flankers must be higher than ferocity or something along those lines.

Hopefully creating questions such as "does the squishy merchant/scholar character go in melee to add flanking bonus for the fighter and rogue who is next in line, but risk getting hit if the monster roles an AoE attack, is it worth the risk?"

Mcgibs

Tue 31 Jan 2023, 00:57

The concept of flanking/ganging-up seems like it comes through other action synergies, rather than a specific rule for it. One person knocks an oppent over, the other gets D6 extra damage on them. On person uses up their parry/evade, the other whollops em. One person has backstab, and just... backstabs em.
I don't think there needs to be a bespoke rule to represent outnumbering an opponent, because all that comes through pretty clearly with the existing mechanics.