Short Fey

Re: Dragonbane BETA v2 Rulebook Feedback - Chapter 4 Combat & Damage

Thu 19 Jan 2023, 23:48

Page 45
Under Grip, this makes no sense in some context. Some weapons you just can't grip in more than one hand. Short Swords, Hand Axes, Scimitar, among others, they simply don't have the length of hilt or handle to make it viable in combat.

The other thing is that if you can put both hands on it, you get better control and able to exert more force. I would suggest being able to add a total of +1 to +2 to damage.
While i can see the damage bonus, i think they want to stay away from modifiers (Made some of my suggestions with similar ideas, but i get the base idea is that it is meant to make it as stream lined as possible with using as little math as possible).

As for grip, i can see what they what they are going for. Some of the weapons have longer handles that what it might appere (Like some handaxes). But that said, i do agree on swords it might not be viable.
Beware the fey!

Nagisawa

Fri 20 Jan 2023, 02:28

Page 45
Under Grip, this makes no sense in some context. Some weapons you just can't grip in more than one hand. Short Swords, Hand Axes, Scimitar, among others, they simply don't have the length of hilt or handle to make it viable in combat.

The other thing is that if you can put both hands on it, you get better control and able to exert more force. I would suggest being able to add a total of +1 to +2 to damage.
While i can see the damage bonus, i think they want to stay away from modifiers (Made some of my suggestions with similar ideas, but i get the base idea is that it is meant to make it as stream lined as possible with using as little math as possible).

As for grip, i can see what they what they are going for. Some of the weapons have longer handles that what it might appere (Like some handaxes). But that said, i do agree on swords it might not be viable.
Ah, OK. Musta missed that. It's still easily enough to House Rule when I get a home crew, rather than my test crew.

Raven

Sat 21 Jan 2023, 13:57

Question on special attacks.
Do the Disarm and Topple maneuver require a hit with an melee attack in first place? The rules arent clear about it. It is written that the special attack must be declared and that the effect is made instead of damage. So I asume it is meant this way: Declare the Maneuver-> Make an Attack Roll / Defender try to parry or Dodge -> In case of an Hit the opossing rolls are made.

Otherwise these attacks seems a little bit to easy for my taste. A peasant with a staff could easily bring down a knight this way (boon on topple vs bane on evadde).
A goblin or any lesser enemy could disarm a swordmaster with just one good roll. While I can see the potential for fun I can also see that such specials could easily start to be anoying when they are overused and to easy.

Short Fey

Sat 21 Jan 2023, 14:09

Based on a playtest session.

We found the special rule "Find Weakspot" optional rule might be a bit too good. If your good at piercing weapons you can very easily puncture through the opponents armor, and considering that a lot of weapons (fairly common ones at that), can do piercing damage, it can become a "no brainer" move if your going against something that has decent armor sense you can do it as many times you want theoretically and once your skill level is high enough, the bane won't matter anyway.

Perhaps this could be reworked into a Heroic Ability? For 3wp you can make an attack with a weapon that deals piercing damage with a bane, that on a hit ignores armor. You could include bows and crossbows with this, giving ranged characters a cool" snipe in the gap of the armor" kind of ability. This means the move is still there, but can't be abused as much.
Beware the fey!

Fenhorn

Sat 21 Jan 2023, 14:25

The Find the weakspot is good yes, but you will most likely never get the benefit of a dragonroll (and you have an increased chance of failing/get a demonroll) and it is also safe to parry you since piercing weapons never damage the parrying weapon/shield. But against "Iron Man" wannabees, yes, it is good and it is also good for enemies against the players :)
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Kungen av Nedom

Sat 21 Jan 2023, 14:25

Based on a playtest session.

We found the special rule "Find Weakspot" optional rule might be a bit too good. If your good at piercing weapons you can very easily puncture through the opponents armor, and considering that a lot of weapons (fairly common ones at that), can do piercing damage, it can become a "no brainer" move if your going against something that has decent armor sense you can do it as many times you want theoretically and once your skill level is high enough, the bane won't matter anyway.

Perhaps this could be reworked into a Heroic Ability? For 3wp you can make an attack with a weapon that deals piercing damage with a bane, that on a hit ignores armor. You could include bows and crossbows with this, giving ranged characters a cool" snipe in the gap of the armor" kind of ability. This means the move is still there, but can't be abused as much.
I really like this idea!

Short Fey

Sat 21 Jan 2023, 14:40

The Find the weakspot is good yes, but you will most likely never get the benefit of a dragonroll (and you have an increased chance of failing/get a demonroll) and it is also safe to parry you since piercing weapons never damage the parrying weapon/shield. But against "Iron Man" wannabees, yes, it is good and it is also good for enemies against the players :)
While no dragon roll, it was used against a Monster, who (due to some lucky/unlucky) initative draw was not in a position to parry/dodge the attack. Hence why the player could break through with impunity. Maybe a lucky situation for them yes, but it still happened.
Beware the fey!

Fenhorn

Sat 21 Jan 2023, 14:52

While no dragon roll, it was used against a Monster, who (due to some lucky/unlucky) initative draw was not in a position to parry/dodge the attack. Hence why the player could break through with impunity. Maybe a lucky situation for them yes, but it still happened.
I don't follow here, monsters (yet) usually don't have much armour (yet, I hope that will change but that's me) and I don't know why they couldn't parry/dodge.

Short Fey

Sat 21 Jan 2023, 16:16

I don't follow here, monsters (yet) usually don't have much armour (yet, I hope that will change but that's me) and I don't know why they couldn't parry/dodge.
They encountered a specific thing in a place with 8 armour,j and the thing kept drawing high initiative so it got to go early, so when it was the piercer players turns, it had already spents its actions so had non left to parry (the player also had lightning reflexes, so they would pick cards to enable this further), they had a long spear, and would hide behind our knight.
Last edited by Short Fey on Sat 21 Jan 2023, 16:54, edited 3 times in total.
Beware the fey!

Fenhorn

Sat 21 Jan 2023, 16:34

They encountered a specific monster in the Riddermound with 8 armour, and the thing kept drawing high initiative so it got to go early, so when it was the piercer players turns, it had already spents its actions so had non left to parry (the player also had lightning reflexes, so they would pick cards to enable this further), they had a long spear, and would hide behind our knight.
This isn't the GM Only section so to avoid spoiling, but what stopped the monster from being smart and attacking the piercing enemy, forcing him to either just take the damage or to use his action to parry and thus stop him form attacking? But lets not go into detail in that scenario here. Sure it can be a good choice, but I haven't played enough to judge if just this special attack is OP or not.