Short Fey

Re: Dragonbane BETA v2 Rulebook Feedback - Chapter 4 Combat & Damage

Sat 21 Jan 2023, 16:55

This isn't the GM Only section so to avoid spoiling, but what stopped the monster from being smart and attacking the piercing enemy, forcing him to either just take the damage or to use his action to parry and thus stop him form attacking? But lets not go into detail in that scenario here. Sure it can be a good choice, but I haven't played enough to judge if just this special attack is OP or not.
i think what i'm trying to say (which even the piercing player themselves said to me outright) is that the "Find the Weakspot" felt too easy to use with no real consequence, even with the fact you can't crit and have a higher chance of failing, it don't feel like a special attack if you can do it repeatidlly. The others are more situational but can swing the tide of battle (like disarming an evil knights enchanted sword and stealing it), but going "i try and stab the weakspot" is always something you can do, and if your skill is high enough you can do it easily, which can make armor feel useless. (And if you can pirece through it, why would'nt you?)

Hence i suggested it being turned to a heroic ability, or maybe instead it pirces through half the armour rounded up, so you can't do it as easy.
Beware the fey!

Raven

Sat 21 Jan 2023, 18:37

Maybe find weak Spot need another drawback. Like you can only find the weak spot if you concentrate on the attack and cant move because of this. Or you cant use find weakspot if you had taken Damage last round. Or just give the target a free parry/evade action against find weak spot.

Was my understanding of the rules for topple and disarm Correct?

Fenhorn

Sat 21 Jan 2023, 18:54

<>
Was my understanding of the rules for topple and disarm Correct?
All the special attacks have their own rules how they work. When it comes to topple it is an opposed roll (your weapon skill vs. evade). If you think this is powerful against a knight, then, sure, it can be useful, but then the knight stands up and swings at the person (who have already done his action) and damage him or he could topple the guy himself and since there are new init every round, this doesn't really is a workable tactics, unless some friends that can pitch in and help your out, but then again, even knights may have friends.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

artikid

Sun 22 Jan 2023, 18:10

This isn't the GM Only section so to avoid spoiling, but what stopped the monster from being smart and attacking the piercing enemy, forcing him to either just take the damage or to use his action to parry and thus stop him form attacking? But lets not go into detail in that scenario here. Sure it can be a good choice, but I haven't played enough to judge if just this special attack is OP or not.
i think what i'm trying to say (which even the piercing player themselves said to me outright) is that the "Find the Weakspot" felt too easy to use with no real consequence, even with the fact you can't crit and have a higher chance of failing, it don't feel like a special attack if you can do it repeatidlly. The others are more situational but can swing the tide of battle (like disarming an evil knights enchanted sword and stealing it), but going "i try and stab the weakspot" is always something you can do, and if your skill is high enough you can do it easily, which can make armor feel useless. (And if you can pirece through it, why would'nt you?)

Hence i suggested it being turned to a heroic ability, or maybe instead it pirces through half the armour rounded up, so you can't do it as easy.
This is a good occasion to "widen" the game rules a bit.
I think half armor is good for the basic maneuver, and then I would also add a Heroic ability that allows to completely ignore the armor for 3wp when making an attack that aims for a Weak spot.

jasales

Mon 23 Jan 2023, 19:50

Please change the way scale works. This is a game that clearly uses maps/battle maps. Why do we have to mess with any math at all when considering the one-inch grid so common on maps as relating to current weapon ranges and movement. I shouldn’t have to even think about it. I should see at a glance how far something is away without either halving my range number or movement rate.. I know the math is simple but mentally halving things slows game play and decision making down considerably at the table.

Please change scale to spaces or 1 meter.

It would make much more sense that a movement of 8 equals 8 spaces or a ranged weapon of 12 is 12 spaces on the maps.

Short Fey

Mon 23 Jan 2023, 20:00

Please change the way scale works. This is a game that clearly uses maps/battle maps. Why do we have to mess with any math at all when considering the one-inch grid so common on maps as relating to current weapon ranges and movement. I shouldn’t have to even think about it. I should see at a glance how far something is away without either halving my range number or movement rate.. I know the math is simple but mentally halving things slows game play and decision making down considerably at the table.

It would make much more sense that a movement of 8 equals 8 spaces or a ranged weapon of 12 is 12 spaces on the maps.
Tbh i like the way it is. I don't find it hard to figure out, and my players agree. I also think that it being one square per 2m saves up space (maps would practically double in size to take into account for all the spaces you could walk on).
Beware the fey!

Fenhorn

Mon 23 Jan 2023, 20:08

If you have problems with the math, then write down 4 squares, 5 squares, etc. instead of meters and if you need to know the meters for whatever reason, just double it.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

zcthu3

Mon 23 Jan 2023, 20:12

Tbh i like the way it is. I don't find it hard to figure out, and my players agree. I also think that it being one square per 2m saves up space (maps would practically double in size to take into account for all the spaces you could walk on).
I agree. Not disputing that you can use a battle-map / grid, but there’s no need (we play theatre of the mind with, at most, maybe a whiteboard sketch).

Von Ether

Tue 24 Jan 2023, 01:25

As for grids, I am used to dividing everything by 5 for feet, now I just divide by 2 and assume most maps are 2 meter by 2 meter squares. It makes for a bigger space but it's close enough for me.

JohnWithAgun

Tue 24 Jan 2023, 09:53

while i do agree with most that its way more piratical to have a square be 2 meters, it does create some side effect.
for example, currently all doorways are massive and a goblin can secure it :)