Fenhorn

Re: Dragonbane BETA v2 Rulebook Feedback - Chapter 4 Combat & Damage

Sat 14 Jan 2023, 15:50

The translation is wrong for breaking a grapple, it should be so that it is an action for the grappled to break the hold but not for you who are just maintaining the hold.

This was reported in the Swedish section as well here.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Arioch1973

Tue 17 Jan 2023, 00:51

Pg45 Shove mechanic
If you hit an enemy with a melee attack and your STR is equal to or higher than your opponent’s STR, you can choose to shove the enemy up to 2 meters in any direction

NPCs and Monsters don't have a STR stat. Should this be the STR damage bonus?
I just found that one too, and it seems clear that the game was designed along the lines of the old versions which was BRP based, in which npcs and monsters also had stats. Now they are fusing a minimalist stat system for npcs and monsters, and another system for PCs. If I am to literally interpret the rules; NPCs and Monsters can not be shoved. The rule only apply to when you want to shove another player character, since they are the only characters in the game that has such attributes.

Ugglefar

Tue 17 Jan 2023, 21:24

Initiative: it seems tedious to redraw the cards every round. Maybe just draw at the start of combat and keep the cards for hte whole combat. You could add something like the 'feint' action from Forbidden Lands to add some fun tactical depth and shuffling around of cards during combat.
When the last player (or GM) in the round starts his turn, another player (that isn't involved in that action) starts to shuffle and deal out the cards again so when the new round starts, the only thing that you have to do is to flip your (newly dealt) card face-up.
I think this will still be tedious, and will probably add some problems for people playing using VTTs.

Drawing cards every round will slow down the combat, and TTRPGs struggle with long battles as it is.

Ugglefar

Tue 17 Jan 2023, 21:26

Initiative: it seems tedious to redraw the cards every round. Maybe just draw at the start of combat and keep the cards for hte whole combat. You could add something like the 'feint' action from Forbidden Lands to add some fun tactical depth and shuffling around of cards during combat.
I completely agree. In every single TTRPG system that I have played (when applicable) we have quickly homebrewed/house ruled that we only draw for initiative at the beginning of the fight, not every single round.

Fenhorn

Tue 17 Jan 2023, 21:33

The game will get some official VTT systems and modules and they will have a macro for this.

When it comes to TRPG play, then when we played, it didn't take any extra time (for the reason I mentioned above). Also, combats aren't really that long in this game. But if anyone doesn't like it, it is easy enough to house rule it. edit: but if house ruled, you have to check for other related rules that also have to be house ruled.

jquest716

Thu 19 Jan 2023, 08:05

Can someone help answer a question my group had in a combat situation. The party was fighting a few harpies and the Hunter character wanted to use their sneak skill to go behind some rocks and leap out to attack a Harpy gaining sneak attack. The question was can they use this ability if the fighter had started and if so how? As I read it once the fight had started you can no longer use the skill to sneak and gain sneak attack unless you had BACKSTAB. The rules were a bit unclear on if they could use it during their turn because the sneak rule makes mention of gaining the ability to choose initiative. So by that reading I assumed once combat broke out no more sneaking.

Fenhorn

Thu 19 Jan 2023, 10:26

Can someone help answer a question my group had in a combat situation. The party was fighting a few harpies and the Hunter character wanted to use their sneak skill to go behind some rocks and leap out to attack a Harpy gaining sneak attack. The question was can they use this ability if the fighter had started and if so how? As I read it once the fight had started you can no longer use the skill to sneak and gain sneak attack unless you had BACKSTAB. The rules were a bit unclear on if they could use it during their turn because the sneak rule makes mention of gaining the ability to choose initiative. So by that reading I assumed once combat broke out no more sneaking.
Sneak attack is a way to start a combat. As soon as combat have started, everyone is aware and alerted.

jquest716

Thu 19 Jan 2023, 18:55

Sneak attack is a way to start a combat. As soon as combat have started, everyone is aware and alerted.
Thank you and second question I am assuming you need BACKSTAB to gain the sneak attack option while in combat correct

Fenhorn

Thu 19 Jan 2023, 19:16

Thank you and second question I am assuming you need BACKSTAB to gain the sneak attack option while in combat correct
Yup

Nagisawa

Thu 19 Jan 2023, 23:14

Page 45
Under Grip, this makes no sense in some context. Some weapons you just can't grip in more than one hand. Short Swords, Hand Axes, Scimitar, among others, they simply don't have the length of hilt or handle to make it viable in combat.

The other thing is that if you can put both hands on it, you get better control and able to exert more force. I would suggest being able to add a total of +1 to +2 to damage.