Short Fey

Re: Dragonbane BETA v2 Rulebook Feedback - Chapter 2 Your Character

Sat 21 Jan 2023, 01:55

Feedback based on our latest play session.

My players where fighting against an heavily armored enemy, which soaked their attacks, so they opted to go for the piercing special attack, thus rolling with banes. During this one player rolled A LOT of 20's (like 3) and a dragon with their Spear, which based on the experience rules on page 29 implied they can have multiple ticks in the same advancement box. Which meant they would get a lot of advancements in their spears because of this.

Is their a cap on this? Like you can only get a tick in a box once per skill with a dragon/demon roll, then add another one at the end of the session? Because this could potentially, if rarely let a player get A LOT of advancements otherwise, at least in combat where you can be in situations where you may roll 1/20's more often.
Beware the fey!

Ravencloak

Sat 21 Jan 2023, 06:18

During this one player rolled A LOT of 20's (like 3) and a dragon with their Spear, which based on the experience rules on page 29 implied they can have multiple ticks in the same advancement box. Which meant they would get a lot of advancements in their spears because of this.

Is their a cap on this? Like you can only get a tick in a box once per skill with a dragon/demon roll, then add another one at the end of the session? Because this could potentially, if rarely let a player get A LOT of advancements otherwise, at least in combat where you can be in situations where you may roll 1/20's more often.
That's how I read the rules. Players make a tick mark for every demon or dragon roll with that skill and have the option of placing one additional tick for answering yes to one of the questions.

Though remember, for every tick mark they need to make an advancement roll, and for every actual advance the next advancement roll becomes less likely to succeed since they have to roll higher than their current skill level. If the skill starts low and they rolled lots of demons and dragons, this could be a real boost to the skill, but if they're already fairly proficient it just boosts the odds of actually advancing the skill by one or two levels.

Khaalis

Sat 21 Jan 2023, 10:16

Ok, I need to pile on with the confusion over Advancement Marks.

If I read this correctly you can get an unlimited number of Marks per skill in a session (limited only by how many you roll). So if I get 5 marks on a skill in a Session I get to make an Advancement Roll 5 times for that skill. Now my question is ... Does the skill go up or each successful roll? Or does the skill only go up once per Session? Can I succeed 5 times and increase the skill by 5, or is the multiple rolls rule only supposed to increase the odds of increasing the skill once?

Short Fey

Sat 21 Jan 2023, 14:13

During this one player rolled A LOT of 20's (like 3) and a dragon with their Spear, which based on the experience rules on page 29 implied they can have multiple ticks in the same advancement box. Which meant they would get a lot of advancements in their spears because of this.

That's how I read the rules. Players make a tick mark for every demon or dragon roll with that skill and have the option of placing one additional tick for answering yes to one of the questions.

Though remember, for every tick mark they need to make an advancement roll, and for every actual advance the next advancement roll becomes less likely to succeed since they have to roll higher than their current skill level. If the skill starts low and they rolled lots of demons and dragons, this could be a real boost to the skill, but if they're already fairly proficient it just boosts the odds of actually advancing the skill by one or two levels.
While it is true that it becomes harder as you roll, the problem comes when your in combat. I do like the idea of "if used with a weak skill, it can help catch up". that aspect i like.

The problem is when your rolling with boons and banes, which is more likely to happen in combat, where you can with heroic abilities and special attacks (if you use them), can end up in situations where the same skill can get a lot of boons and banes, thus making it possible to be in a situation where you could get a lot of advancement marks. So maybe a cap of some kind would be useful, so you don't walk out with 3-5 advancement marks after a fight.
Beware the fey!

Von Ether

Sat 21 Jan 2023, 18:51

While it is true that it becomes harder as you roll, the problem comes when your in combat. I do like the idea of "if used with a weak skill, it can help catch up". that aspect i like.

The problem is when your rolling with boons and banes, which is more likely to happen in combat, where you can with heroic abilities and special attacks (if you use them), can end up in situations where the same skill can get a lot of boons and banes, thus making it possible to be in a situation where you could get a lot of advancement marks. So maybe a cap of some kind would be useful, so you don't walk out with 3-5 advancement marks after a fight.
If I remember right about Pendragon, another d20 based BRP game, you just only one mark per session. But then the GM could give you the mark for more than just good rolls. The player could write out a poem in real life that their bard would do and if the GM was impressed, he could hand out a mark.

Fenhorn

Sat 21 Jan 2023, 18:59

I don't know exactly how experience is intended to work since the interpretation of the rules can vary here.

How I will use it (right or wrong) is that you mark the box if you got a 1 or a 20 during the session and at the end of the session when you got your free advancement marks, you can use one of those on a skill you already have an advancement mark in, but that's it. So the maximum number of advancement rolls you can roll for at the end of a session for a given skill is two. But this is just how I read it, it may very well be wrong (it would be nice if this would be clarified).
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

zcthu3

Sat 21 Jan 2023, 19:32

I don't know exactly how experience is intended to work since the interpretation of the rules can vary here.

How I will use it (right or wrong) is that you mark the box if you got a 1 or a 20 during the session and at the end of the session when you got your free advancement marks, you can use one of those on a skill you already have an advancement mark in, but that's it. So the maximum number of advancement rolls you can roll for at the end of a session for a given skill is two. But this is just how I read it, it may very well be wrong (it would be nice if this would be clarified).
That’s how I read it too.

JohnWithAgun

Mon 23 Jan 2023, 09:41

Would be nice with an optional rule for a different system all together.
Plain old standard get X advancement marks/points per session, next skill level costs current/next skill value or something like that.

Our table are sticklers for communism and everyone likes to get the exact same progression value :)

Ebrim

Wed 25 Jan 2023, 06:26

Some thoughts about starting gear:

- Lots of duplication, there’s a lot of flint and steel around, maybe not every package needs this.
- The first adventure will have plenty of light and food, characters likely won’t burn through their initial supply.
- Rations are very valuable comparative to the amount of silver most characters begin with.

samirvsmachine

Mon 30 Jan 2023, 18:43

I wonder if renaming Mage to Mystic would make more sense given that they can play as any of fantasy spellcaster archetypes.