RobJN

Re: Dragonbane BETA v2 Rulebook Feedback - Chapter 2 Your Character

Sun 25 Dec 2022, 13:52

Does the "Key Attribute" actually do anything for a Dragonbane Profession? It isn't called out at the beginning of the section; it isn't even mentioned outside of the individual profession descriptions themselves.

Obviously, there's the rules' mechanical aspect of "Fighters with higher strength are more fight-y" and "mages with more Willpower can cast more spells." But outside of that....

Was this initially something akin to what D&D's "prime requisite" used to do, in granting bonuses to earned experience points for higher values?

Call me a fan of Chekhov's gun, but it just seems like if you're going to call a Key Attribute out for each profession, there should either be some mention of why it's there, (even as a 'signpost,'--HEY PUT YOUR HIGHEST NUMBER HERE!), some sort of extra benefit to it aside from what's already baked into the ruleset for everyone else (as a Prerequisite, for instance), or not bother putting it into each profession description to begin with.

The rules are already lean-n'-mean, and it just seems like a wee bit of 'fat' was left, in this attribution-with-no-explanation.

Short Fey

Sun 25 Dec 2022, 16:44

I think there is definitely room for all Kin to have two special abilities. One that costs willpower, and one that does not. Similar to Mallards.

Human
Adaptive - This ability is currently too nebulous for the cost. It should just grant them a boon on any non-weapon or non-spell skill roll instead for 3 WP.

Skilled - 0 WP - Gain an extra trained skill at character creation.

Dwarves
Born Smith- 0 WP - Gain a boon on crafting rolls for items made of stone or metal.

Halfling
Naturally Discreet - 0 WP - Gain a boon on Sneaking rolls once per shift.

Elf
Ancient Knowledge - 3 WP - read the stars and gain a Boon to a single INT based (non-spell) skill roll.

Wolfkin
Scent of Prey - 0WP - Gain a boon on hunting and fishing rolls to find food.
If i where to do my pitches. (I like your elf ability though, but i would say it only works at night time, sense you need the stars).

Human.
Fast Learner: When you spend a shift to train in a skill that you have a skill level of 13 or lower with a teacher, you can roll the Advancement roll twice and pick the better result.

Dwarves.
Tunnel Fighter: You automatically succeed on AWARNESS checks when making a melee attack in the dark.

Halfling.
Fade away: When you roll a SNEAKING roll to hide and remain motionless, you roll with a boon, and armor do not impede a bane upon you.

Wolfkin.
Fangs and Claws: Your unarmed attack deals d8 of slashing damage instead of a d6. If you gain the Heroic Ability Iron Fist, you roll 2d8 instead of 2d6 when you activate it.
Beware the fey!

Gaddeborg

Sun 25 Dec 2022, 17:15

I think there is definitely room for all Kin to have two special abilities.

Elf
Ancient Knowledge - 3 WP - read the stars and gain a Boon to a single INT based (non-spell) skill roll.
Human.
Fast Learner: When you spend a shift to train in a skill that you have a skill level of 13 or lower with a teacher, you can roll the Advancement roll twice and pick the better result.

Dwarves.
Tunnel Fighter: You automatically succeed on AWARNESS checks when making a melee attack in the dark.

Halfling.
Fade away: When you roll a SNEAKING roll to hide and remain motionless, you roll with a boon, and armor do not impede a bane upon you.

Wolfkin.
Fangs and Claws: Your unarmed attack deals d8 of slashing damage instead of a d6. If you gain the Heroic Ability Iron Fist, you roll 2d8 instead of 2d6 when you activate it.
+1

Very good suggestions! I had an idea about compensating for the lack of attributes for elfs and dwarves by getting boons for WP in some AGL-skills (elfs) or STR/CON-rolls (dwarves), but I think these would be nice as well.

Kartong Karlsson

Sun 25 Dec 2022, 18:23

Elf

If i where to do my pitches. (I like your elf ability though, but i would say it only works at night time, sense you need the stars).

Human.

Dwarves.

Halfling.

Wolfkin.

+1

These abilities are very nice and flavorful!

Vile Traveller

Sun 25 Dec 2022, 22:45

Page 14, Artisan: "Now this may sound a bit snobbish," - I believe this is a translation issue, should it be 'pretentious'?
https://dreamscapedesign.net/
Crafting the finest table top role-playing games for your discerning diversion

Fenhorn

Sun 25 Dec 2022, 22:55

Page 14, Artisan: "Now this may sound a bit snobbish," - I believe this is a translation issue, should it be 'pretentious'?
May be difficult to translate. In the Swedish book the word is "snofsigt" and that probably will be snobbish in English.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

MacDhomnuill

Mon 26 Dec 2022, 19:52

May be difficult to translate. In the Swedish book the word is "snofsigt" and that probably will be snobbish in English.
Snob, snobby and snobbish are uncommon in the US currently. My mother (71yo) uses it all the time to describe my Aunt (76yo) lol.

hrvoje

Tue 27 Dec 2022, 23:18

Page 25:
Starting Skill Levels: In addition to the base chances, you start out with a number of trained skills – five, six, or seven depending on your age.
It should be: six, seven, or eight depending on your age.

Von Ether

Wed 28 Dec 2022, 23:53

Snob, snobby and snobbish are uncommon in the US currently. My mother (71yo) uses it all the time to describe my Aunt (76yo) lol.
Which part of the US? I just used it yesterday.

MacDhomnuill

Thu 29 Dec 2022, 07:36

Which part of the US? I just used it yesterday.
Western US, Colorado mostly but I currently live in Kansas. My family is from Michigan and Ohio originally. I feel like its more common in the north east.