Short Fey

Re: Dragonbane BETA v2 Rulebook Feedback - Chapter 2 Your Character

Sun 08 Jan 2023, 19:25

Was helping setting up the game for some other pcs. And during it i felt there could maybe be a bit more information on the different Kin, as i got asked questions about it. Specifically, give them a brief description on what their appearance is like (Some stuff in the adventure segment, for instance, hinted female dwarves could have beards. Is this common? And how do elves' eyes look like? Are the males black and the females white? What kind of plumage does a mallard typically have? and etc), how long they typically live (do elves live for hundreds of years? Thousands? Can be useful to know in case one of them "was there" during a historical event. Do any kin live shorter than a typical human lifespan?),

It shouldn't go too much into detail of culture, as i feel that is at least covered, and it should be kept on the short side to keep it's streamlined approach. But a bit of information can give players ideas what their character is going to be like.
Beware the fey!

steampunklolcat

Thu 12 Jan 2023, 15:20

I've been reading through the rulebook (both versions) since they were released last year and I really love what you've made. I think it captures the oldschool feel from the 3rd edition that was also translated into Danish. I do have some suggestions though.

Expand the list of names for each race/species and change it to a simple block of text.

In the old editions you could earn heropoints in different ways and spend them on heroic abilities. I would suggest using this approach instead of simply being allowed to pick an ability at different stages throughout the game. This would also allow a wider range of abilities with different strengths.

Lastly I would really like to see a heroic ability to increase your ability scores. Back when I played the old DoD we had a houserule that you could increase an abilityscore by 1 for every 2 heropoints, which I would love to see in the new edition in some form. Some weapons require a very high strength to use and if you're unlucky you will never be able to use them, but with this rule you could eventually.

Lastly, could the spell fireball in the English version be renamed fire as in the Swedish version of the game?

Arioch1973

Thu 12 Jan 2023, 18:23

I think the 2 Hero Points to increase an attribute was in one of the handbook for DoD'91, maybe the heroes handbook. Over time it really broke the game as characters maxed out their attributes. I would suggest that you can train your attributes. But to maintain the improvement, you need to pay 1 improvement roll for each point after the end of an adventure. Meaning, if you muscle up, you are going to have to keep training to keep that way.

Moderator Action: I fixed the gif (I hope that was the right one). It is a bit tricky with adding images and gifs here, but it may work more often if you open the image/gif in a new tab and use that address.

Arioch1973

Thu 12 Jan 2023, 20:18

Yes, it was the right one. Thank you. How could I not reply with Tim the enchanter to a discussion about firemagic...

Short Fey

Fri 13 Jan 2023, 19:41

Mages can get a crystal ball in box 1-2. but there is no crystal ball item in the gear chapter.
Beware the fey!

Fenhorn

Fri 13 Jan 2023, 19:53

Mages can get a crystal ball in box 1-2. but there is no crystal ball item in the gear chapter.
Good catch, there is but it is called 'Orbuculum' in the gear chapter. In the Swedish version it is called 'Spåkula' in both places.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Khaalis

Sun 15 Jan 2023, 11:41

Ok, can someone explain Skills to me? Base Chance vs Skill Level vs Secondary Skills? The terminology here is, I think, a bit overly confusing.

1) All skills (except magic) have a Base Chance of X determined by the Attribute Score.
"The base chance is a “free” skill level that you get automatically." -- So are all skills then considered to be rated at 1 Skill Level?
OR
"At the start of the game, your level in a trained skills is equal to twice the base chance." -- So is "Skill Level" = Modified Base Chance?

Looking at the Advancement Rolls section - what is the Skill Level? This section, makes me assume the answer to the above is that whatever your "Chance" rating is = Skill Level?
* Untrained Skill with Attribute 12 = Skill Level 5
* Trained Skill with Attribute 12 = Skill Level 10

2) Magic Secondary Skills - How are these rated?
Under the section in Chapter 2 it states:
"As a rule, you don’t get a base chance in these.

However, under magic it states:
"roll against your skill level in the relevant school."

This is totally confusing.
1) What is the Attribute used for Casting?
2) With no Base Chance, there is also no "Skill Level" because skill level = "Chance"? Even if "trained" Double of Nothing is still nothing.

I have to assume that the part about NOT getting a Base Chance is wrong?

Fenhorn

Sun 15 Jan 2023, 12:11

Ok, can someone explain Skills to me? Base Chance vs Skill Level vs Secondary Skills? The terminology here is, I think, a bit overly confusing.
<>
Base Chance: You have a base chance in all the 30 core skills as shown on the table on p.25. So if you have 11 in Intelligence you will have 5 in all the skills based on Intelligence, like Bushcraft.

Skill Level: Is just what score you have in a skill. So if you have Bushcraft 5, then 5 is your skill level in Bushcraft. If you later increase it to 6, then 6 is your new Skill Level in Bushcraft. A starting character have some trained skills. The skill level in a trained skill is base chance x2, so if Bushcraft is one of your trained skills and you have a base chance of 5, the character will then start with a skill level of 10 in Bushcraft.

Secondary Skills: Any other skill than the 30 core skills. In the rulebook, only the three magic school skills are secondary skills. A mage will know one of the three magic school secondary skills and that skill will be treated as a trained skill so he will have a skill level equal to base chance x2 in it. The other two magic school secondary skills or any other secondary skills that may be published in future books must be learned in game (p.61 for magic skills).

Khaalis

Sun 15 Jan 2023, 13:42

Another question on Rolls. On p31 there is a section on "Attribute Rolls". If I understand this correctly, raw Attribute rolls are typically better than skill in that they are rolled at the Full Attribute? Or do these default to ONLY being at "Base Chance"?

So for instance an INT 15 character would make raw INT checks (say to find a clue to a riddle) at Skill Level 15?

However, if that same character wants to make an 'trained' Bushcraft skill they would only make it at Skill Level 12? Why are they suddenly "less intelligent" just because something is a "skill" versus a "non-skill" roll?

I find this mechanic very odd. Why are raw Attribute checks better than Skill checks? Is this just a side effect of trying to force skill levels onto base attributes?

Fenhorn

Sun 15 Jan 2023, 14:22

Another question on Rolls. On p31 there is a section on "Attribute Rolls". If I understand this correctly, raw Attribute rolls are typically better than skill in that they are rolled at the Full Attribute? Or do these default to ONLY being at "Base Chance"?

So for instance an INT 15 character would make raw INT checks (say to find a clue to a riddle) at Skill Level 15?

However, if that same character wants to make an 'trained' Bushcraft skill they would only make it at Skill Level 12? Why are they suddenly "less intelligent" just because something is a "skill" versus a "non-skill" roll?

I find this mechanic very odd. Why are raw Attribute checks better than Skill checks? Is this just a side effect of trying to force skill levels onto base attributes?
You rarely roll for an attribute, normally there is a skill to roll for. You only roll for an attribute in situations where there is no skill to roll for, usually very simple tasks, like a strength test to move that rock or an intelligence test to remember what the treasure hunter iGunther said earlier or a charisma test to se if the barmaid Rosaumunda likes you when you flirt with her. So you can't really compare an intelligence roll with the skill Myths and Legends for example because they are used for different things.