Nyarlethotep
Topic Author

Wallace Replicant records vs LAPD Denabase

Mon 05 Dec 2022, 19:47

Hello everyone,

I was wondering about the Denabase, it says on page 188 that all DNA IDs of registered citizens of LA are in that registry, do you think it says if they are replicants? I understand they don't want the events that led to the Blackout to happen again but that makes the Wallace Replicant records obsolete except maybe for N8 info or N9 stats.

What do you think?

baldrick0712

Re: Wallace Replicant records vs LAPD Denabase

Mon 19 Dec 2022, 12:44

First of all, why is this called the "Denabase" in the rulebook when in the movie "Blade Runner 2049" it's called the "DNA Archive"? This just strikes me as an odd and unnecessary change.

Page 188 says it contains records of "all registered LA civilians". I would say this excludes replicants as they are "product" rather than "civilians".

Lieutenant Obvious

Fri 23 Dec 2022, 14:08

First of all, why is this called the "Denabase" in the rulebook when in the movie "Blade Runner 2049" it's called the "DNA Archive"? This just strikes me as an odd and unnecessary change.

Just a guess on my part, but it's possible that 'DNA Archive' is the official name for this particular database, and 'Denabase' (DNABase) is the nickname used by Rep-Detect personnel on the job. Civilians might not even know what the term 'Denabase' refers to.

Page 188 says it contains records of "all registered LA civilians". I would say this excludes replicants as they are "product" rather than "civilians".

The fact that Nexus-9 Replicants can't be citizens is the reason for frequent protests by Sympathizers. Judging from that, it's likely that only the Wallace Corp's files hold any clue as to who is actually a Replicant and who isn't. Of course, there's Rachel Tyrell to consider... and it's possible she's not the only citizen who has had a Replicant copy running around off the books, past or present tense. Think about the fun you can have with your players with that fact alone!

baldrick0712

Fri 23 Dec 2022, 15:44

I think you have two options: 1) The Denabase contains DNA records of everyone in LA, human or replicant, but you can't actually tell if they're a replicant from this database, or 2) Replicants are simply excluded from the Denabase.

From a game point of view, option 1 would require you to visit Wallace Corp to identify the subject as a Replicant, whereas option 2 would give a strong hint that a subject was a Replicant due to them not being on the Denabase, but only a visit to Wallace Corp could confirm it. Choose whichever option you think would provide the best game (I would probably now lean towards option 1).