CEBedford
Topic Author

Keeping the Mage profession special.

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 19:19

Just a thought but if magic is going to end up being a heroic ability instead, maybe there’s a way to still make rhe wizard profession special? Maybe isolate the burning HP as WP to be a profession specific ability?

Backgrounds take up a sizeable section of the book with great art, but my worry is that stripping them completely of their unique feature would downplay the significance of the initial roll or choice?

Or is the goal to make profession just a starting point and to let characters completely reshape with time and adventuring?

I could be overthinking this one as attributes still ultimately determine what the PC would be ideally suited for.
- Hoodie Infestation

Short Fey

Re: Keeping the Mage profession special.

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 19:51

I think that professions are a starting point. In essence, "What was your character doing BEFORE they became an adventurer?" and this is them transitioning to become actual adventurers.
And i do think that your attributes is what ultimately determine what your character is best suitable as.

Let's take magic for instance.

If we read the "Spells in memory" (Page 57) it states that "the maximum number of spells you can hold in your memory at the same time is equal to your base chance in INT (page 26)."
If you have an average INT value of 9-12 you can only memorize up to 5 spells, where a player who is likely going to be a dedicated spell caster who put a higher value such as 13-15 to memorize 6 spells, or 16-18 to memorize 7.

Sense there don't seem to be any way to actually willingly increase your attributes, it means that if you want to cast spells, you must specifically put a good chunk into INT to have a good number of spells memorized, where other players who pick up magic, but don't have the same INT value can't memorize the same number of spells, thus have a more limited choice of options.
Likewise, sense magic guzzles WP, you have to consider if you actually wanna have magic. If you don't have the highest WP pool, magic might not be the best option sense you can't cast it as often.

Thus if you wanna be good magic but also something else, you would need to put at least two decent attribute numbers at INT and WIS, then a third on the other thing you want to focus on. This might be hard based on what you roll on character creation.
Last edited by Short Fey on Sat 03 Dec 2022, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.
Beware the fey!

Father Goose

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 19:56

Exactly. Primary casters (prioritize Int and Wil, have magic at creation) will always outshine secondary casters (prioritize a different attribute, learn magic later).

CEBedford
Topic Author

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 20:49

These are fair points, and I do like the idea of magic cropping up in more ways than one result on a d12 since I prefer character creation to be as random as possible.
- Hoodie Infestation

JohnWithAgun

Mon 05 Dec 2022, 17:14

Current rules you cant increase your int and thus remember more spells.
However you can go from having lore 3 to lore 18 and remember a bunch of random stuff by memory :)