Logen_Nein
Topic Author

Profession Abilities to Heroic Abilities

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 17:32

What then is the point of Profession other than the trained skill list?

CEBedford

Re: Profession Abilities to Heroic Abilities

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 17:55

There’s also starting gear, but I’m proposing in the chapter feedback thread that they instead offer three choices of heroic abilities that fit the theme of the profession.

It makes sense that all profession abilities just be combined with Heroic. It saves them one “heroic” that is just used to copy another profession ability as that is just redundant anyway.

That being said, I like choices during character creation to be minimal in favor of fast starting play. Let the game inform the choices, saving the wider options for advancement.

They could even include the optional role of just picking one in place of the text that the Jack of All Trades ability currently takes up in the book.
- Hoodie Infestation

Short Fey

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 18:05

I'd say that overall i like the idea you can pick any Heroic Ability you want (so that if you have a particular idea, you wanna play can get it quick). But i would agree having at least a suggestion or a few that fits would be a good idea. Like the old profession ability they used to have, with maybe two others that fit the theme.
Like for an example the Hunter would have "Animal Kinship" as a primary Heroic Ability suggestion, but possibly also "Master Hunter" and "Lone Wolf "as secondary suggestions.

Edit: I would also say perhaps some Heroic abilities have a skill requirement (Like say at least 15 in the relevant skill), so that you can't pick the "Best ones" right away.
Beware the fey!

Father Goose

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 18:51

If there's not a set ability tied to a profession, why not just eliminate professions entirely?
Pick a Kin, pick a selection of starting skills, pick a Heroic Ability, pick an Adventurer's Backpack package, and begin play. For randomization, you could have a d20 list of Adventurer's Backpack packages, or people can just pick the one they like the most for the character they want to play.

Box_of_Hats

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 19:02

In Symbaroum, classes were more like starting packages of abilities that could have been purchased in the same group without using the class mechanic. So you could have a classless character that looks the same as someone who picked one of the class packages. I think the idea was to enable new players to browse through thematic ideas and pick one without needing to read every character option.

I think the Profession Abilities to Heroic Abilities move could serve the same purpose, but would benefit from being transparent in the class chapter that class does basically nothing except expedite character creation. I think all that remains is starting skill groups, so perhaps those could just be dropped and players could select the 4+ skills arbitrarily.

doctheweasel

Sun 04 Dec 2022, 08:40

I don't see the point of this change either. We already have Jack of All Trades, so if you want to mix and match the option is already there.
All we gain if we get rid of profession abilities are mages with no spells, merchants who can't trade, and scholars who don't know anything.

Banquo

Sun 04 Dec 2022, 12:14

One thing to consider about opening up options to take another heroic ability rather than only having a single choice per profession is solo play, as this was a popular stretch goal and specifically mentioned in the rules. Some of the existing professional abilities are pretty reliant on having multiple player characters around (such as the knight’s guardian ability) that could restrict those as solo options, but with the suggested change a profession still gives some hefty skill increases (as you only get “trained” at double starting level in profession skills) and a recommended ability but the choice to take another meaning all options are equally viable for solo as well as group play