Fenhorn

Re: Dragonbane BETA Rulebook Feedback - Chapter 2 Your Character

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 15:43

“ All profession abilities will be removed and changed into heroic abilities. Instead of getting a designated professional ability, you will get to choose one heroic ability freely at the start of the game”

Is that really the way to go? Or am I missing something? What is the purpose of choosing a profession if they don’t have specific abilities?
I agree that there is a risk that the profession choice with this change will be just some flavour text to write on the back of your character sheet along with some other flavour background things. But they will add 9 more skills (up to 25 or 25ish to be exact) and that can make a profession still be relevant, depending on skill lists of each profession.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Bonzzo15

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 15:49

“ All profession abilities will be removed and changed into heroic abilities. Instead of getting a designated professional ability, you will get to choose one heroic ability freely at the start of the game”

Is that really the way to go? Or am I missing something? What is the purpose of choosing a profession if they don’t have specific abilities?
I agree that there is a risk that the profession choice with this change will be just some flavour text to write on the back of your character sheet along with some other flavour background things. But they will add 9 more skills (up to 25 or 25ish to be exact) and that can make a profession still be relevant, depending on skill lists of each profession.
It’s a long way to go before release so I’m hoping for a steady middle ground regarding class abilities.

Jay Button

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 16:14

Point Buy Option for Attributes

I would love to see a point buy option for Attributes. The Gamemaster can easily borrow point buy rules from other systems or house rule them, but something official in the rule book would standardize point buy character creation, so players in one Gamemaster's game can more easily use their character in another's Gamemaster's game.

zook

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 16:44

It's be okey if some heroic abilities will be restricted to specific professions.

Warhippo

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 16:49

P18 Hunters
I think Hunters should have Knives added to their Skills (p18). Artisans and Merchants have such a skill and Hunters would be well versed in using knives so it fits.

samirvsmachine

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 19:07

There is plans for a "Priest" class?

Box_of_Hats

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 19:34

It looks like Priest would be a Mage that takes Animism, then learns Banish, Treat Wound, and whatever third spell is most priesty (Lightning Flash, maybe).

Ebrim

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 19:37

Key Attribute from Profession isn’t tied to anything that I can tell.

While it being a recommendation is totally cool, some other thoughts that come to mind:

- Profession Key Attribute is the only one you can swap when generating scores.
- Attributes are generated by 3d6 but key attribute is generated by 4d6 drop the lowest

Either of these (or some other way to increase importance of key) will give profession a bit more oomph even as they lose their abilities.

Unrelated to key attribute:

The Profession Table

Currently the profession table has it that a character randomly will be 3x as likely to be some type of mage vs. any other profession. This is in contrast to the Kin table where presumably some kin are more common than others. It might be that it’s intended that mages are super common vs. artisans but I don’t know.

Table for Heroic Abilities
Having Heroic Abilities either suggested by profession or some way to randomize which we get or start with would be welcome. New players or impatient players like me that just want to go would value this.

Sgirra

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 20:56

Advancement rolls
First off: I love them. Yes, they are sometimes unfair, they are random, and, most of all, anachronistic to the point-buy-standard. But they give me exactly the old-school vibe that I expected. (I started with Das Schwarze Auge back in the 1990s and rolls for skill advancement was the thing up to the 3rd edition, including). The beta system for experience is simple and straightforward, I like that.

I would just change one thing and replace the d20 with 3d6. The bell curve is nicer for skills with a low rating, while the flat probability of the d20 can be frustrating sometimes. (Though I love it for regular checks.)

E.g. you have an advancement mark for a weak skill with level 6. You need to roll 7 or higher to increase the skill level by one. The chance with d20 is 70% (not bad, but we know how unreliable a d20 can be), with 3d6 it’s nearly 91%. This makes it much more enjoyable to spend advancement on low-level skills.

On the other hand, it’s much harder to increase high-level skills, which I find reasonable. E.g. increasing a skill from 15 to 16 has a chance of nearly 5% (3d6) vs. 25% (d20). And from 17 to 18 it’s 0,46% (3d6) vs. 15% (d20).

Long story short, replacing the d20 in advancement rolls with 3d6 favours the advancement of low-level skills and softens the randomness of the process.

pagnabros

Sun 04 Dec 2022, 15:17

I think that as now in the Beta, the Custimitation options are not enough to make each Character feel unique and distinct, and also the advancement feels boring and unexciting which I think is a huge problem for a rpg game. The list of Heroic Abilities is really short, the balance between them is really wild (looking at you Jack of All Trades, Defensive/Quick Reflexes and Master Spellcaster powerhouses), and even the most powerful of them feels a little unispired and boring. I strongly suggest an expansion of Heroic Abilities or a rework to make them more gameplay changing/exciting that a situational boon on a roll. I would even makes some new Heroic Abilities that are "major", need prerequisites or are more costly to take, but that are generally more powerful in the long run.