jasales

Re: Dragonbane BETA Rulebook Feedback - Chapter 3 Skills

Thu 01 Dec 2022, 15:12

P38
Jack of All Trades
"You do not have to write this heroic ability down on the character sheet." I don't understand what this implies. You have to take this Heroic ability more times to learn more Professional abilities. Why would you not write them down? How would you keep track? There is some advantage implied here but I have no idea what that is.
I suspect the idea is that you just write the new profession ability on your sheet, but if that's the intent it would be clearer to say so.
Ah...well that was unnecessarily confusing. Thank you for the explanation.

Narl

Thu 01 Dec 2022, 16:23

I can handwave what, I'm more interested in why the ability is called Graverobber. The name has nothing to do with what the ability does. Monster Tracker or something akin to it would be more fitting.
I agree, this should be renamed. I was thinking Monster Hunter as a nice parallel with the similar ability Treasure Hunter.

Narl

Thu 01 Dec 2022, 16:32

A number of problems with Jack of All Trades have been mentioned. I don’t like it because I feel there should be some sort of niche protection other wise professions become far less meaningful. I like when a character has their “thing”.

The profession talents also see in general to be more powerful than the heroic talents. Compare Omniscient to Quartermaster for example.

I am not sure if this was mentioned, but JOT as written allows taking Magic and that doesn’t seem right.

My preference would to just remove JOT completely. Let each profession have something unique.

jasales

Thu 01 Dec 2022, 18:01

I like JOT BECAUSE I can choose to be a warrior with spellcasting if I like. I like the spending of a heroic ability to do this.

samirvsmachine

Thu 01 Dec 2022, 18:14

Profession (pg 16)
...four of your trained starting skills (page 27)
Should be
...five of your trained starting skills (page 27)

Spot Hidden
Other non weapon skills seems more broad in what they can do. I was wondering if Spot Hidden could have other suggested uses.
Most skills have a single word name. Spot Hidden could be renamed Observation, or other equivalent word.

Spears
Could it include staff and polearm weapons?

Blunt Weapons
Could it be renamed to Hammers and include flails and maces to be more in line with other skills one word skill name?

Marksmanship
I wonder if it could be split into Bows and Crossbows to be more in line with melee weapon skills?

Narl

Thu 01 Dec 2022, 21:25

I like JOT BECAUSE I can choose to be a warrior with spellcasting if I like. I like the spending of a heroic ability to do this.
I agree there should be some way to facilitate this but getting all the abilities of a Mage after just one session of play is not it.

zcthu3

Thu 01 Dec 2022, 21:31

I agree there should be some way to facilitate this but getting all the abilities of a Mage after just one session of play is not it.
As noted above, I’d prefer Heroic Abilities be purchased with Advancement Points rather than just sessions played (which means it is a comic out choice to take abilities rather than just length of play) but I have no problem with warriors being spellcasters quickly if that’s what the player wants; some concepts have spellcasting warriors at the get go, so this allows for that.

I’d also note that (in my understanding) the origins of the game are in BRP where everyone could do everything with the appropriate training. If you wanted to learn magic you just sought a teacher; Jack of All Trades keeps that connection where everyone can do everything.

DarianVarVicovaro

Thu 01 Dec 2022, 21:41

HEROIC ABILITIES should have levels like in FBL or Symbaroum. If they won them every 5 sessions, very soon they would end up having all of them in a fairly long campaign. Maybe increase the number or have them bought with Advancement Mark increases?

Melvin

Thu 01 Dec 2022, 21:47

HEROIC ABILITIES should have levels like in FBL or Symbaroum. If they won them every 5 sessions, very soon they would end up having all of them in a fairly long campaign. Maybe increase the number or have them bought with Advancement Mark increases?
All campaigns aren't long ones. And I think every 5 sessions is... Too much. There are so many good heroic abilities ...

Narl

Thu 01 Dec 2022, 21:56

My group averages 40 or more sessions a year. That is nine Heroic Abilities after a year. I feel like characters would get somewhat unwieldy at that point. Gaining Heroic Abilities should slow over time somehow, just like skill advancement does (due to the roll over requirement).