doc-t

Re: Dragonbane BETA Rulebook Feedback - Chapter 3 Skills

Wed 30 Nov 2022, 18:00

Page 39, "Treasure Hunter"

Same as my remark regarding "Grave Robber" above. Needs more guidance and clarification.

TheSpaceMan

Wed 30 Nov 2022, 20:09

Page 38, Linguist, "You automatically understand an ancient or obscure language, written or spoken, without a LORE roll."

That means, upon newly understanding anything in the new language, from now on until the end of days the character understands anything written or spoken in that language! Is this intended? Or is the intention "You automatically understand an ancient or obscure message, written or spoken, without a LORE roll.", so that upon the next contact with the same language, as it is a new message, the ability needs to be used anew.

Else, I can imagine players going into the next library for a few days, spending their WP there, and henceforth be the almighty translators of all written languages in that library.
I would claim one would reach quite far to interpret it that way.
It is obviously connected to the lore ability in general that states you use it when trying to understand an ancient or obscure language. There is far reach between in this instance understand the language in the text and and "fully know it forever" the use of WP for abilities and this and other cases is makes this very clear to me. And the other interpertation would purely be someone trying to exploit the system rather then having its use as intended, a spent WP instead of a Dice roll.

doc-t

Wed 30 Nov 2022, 21:15

Page 38, Linguist, "You automatically understand an ancient or obscure language, written or spoken, without a LORE roll."

That means, upon newly understanding anything in the new language, from now on until the end of days the character understands anything written or spoken in that language! Is this intended? Or is the intention "You automatically understand an ancient or obscure message, written or spoken, without a LORE roll.", so that upon the next contact with the same language, as it is a new message, the ability needs to be used anew.

Else, I can imagine players going into the next library for a few days, spending their WP there, and henceforth be the almighty translators of all written languages in that library.
I would claim one would reach quite far to interpret it that way.
It is obviously connected to the lore ability in general that states you use it when trying to understand an ancient or obscure language. There is far reach between in this instance understand the language in the text and and "fully know it forever" the use of WP for abilities and this and other cases is makes this very clear to me. And the other interpertation would purely be someone trying to exploit the system rather then having its use as intended, a spent WP instead of a Dice roll.
I agree with how it should be interpreted and I would interpret it so. But that is not my point.

I do not agree, that ambiguous wording which needs interpretation and could lead to unnecessary discussion at the table should appear in a rulebook, when a different choice of words would not lead to this problem. "Everything worth doing is worth doing it right."

zcthu3

Wed 30 Nov 2022, 22:10

Page 38, Jack of All Trades. "You learn a profession ability from another profession than your own."

This directly contradicts page 14, Profession Ability: "Each profession has a profession ability that no other profession can learn."

The latter is wrong as long as Jack of all Trades exist.

In effect, Jack of All Trades makes all Profession Abilities equivalent to Heroic Abilities.

To rectify this convoluted situation, one could:
  • list previous Profession Abilities as Heroic Abilities,
  • drop the notion of Profession Abilities altogether,
  • in the Profession description just refer to the appropriate Heroic Ability, and
  • drop Jack of all Trades.
TBH I didn’t find this situation particularly convoluted and simply read this as being the exception to the ordinary rule that you can’t obtain Professional Abilities (which could be made more explicit). While I agree Professional Abilities are the equivalent (mechanically) as Heroic Abilities, the difference is that they are explicitly associated with Professions, being what you did before you became an adventurer. It’s useful having them in the Professions as it avoids the need to flick through the Heroic Abilities when creating characters - all the information for creating characters is in one place.

Having said that, I would prefer an Advancement Point cost for Heroic Abilities (even as an optional rule) rather than them just being awarded for a certain number of sessions played. It’s more in keeping with the rest of the advancement system and also provides for them to see more use in shorter campaigns where players could choose whether to advance skills or pick up Heroic Abilities.
Last edited by zcthu3 on Wed 30 Nov 2022, 22:18, edited 1 time in total.

dkdi3983

Wed 30 Nov 2022, 22:17

Page 38, Jack of All Trades. "You learn a profession ability from another profession than your own."

This directly contradicts page 14, Profession Ability: "Each profession has a profession ability that no other profession can learn."
Agreed. I'd suggest changing the text on p. 14 to read…
Each profession has a profession ability that no other profession offers.
That eliminates the inconsistency with Jack of All Trades.

jasales

Wed 30 Nov 2022, 22:18

P38
Jack of All Trades
"You do not have to write this heroic ability down on the character sheet." I don't understand what this implies. You have to take this Heroic ability more times to learn more Professional abilities. Why would you not write them down? How would you keep track? There is some advantage implied here but I have no idea what that is.

dkdi3983

Wed 30 Nov 2022, 22:19

…I'm more interested in why the ability is called Graverobber. The name has nothing to do with what the ability does. Monster Tracker or something akin to it would be more fitting.
Agreed. "Tracker" was the first name that came to my mind.

dkdi3983

Wed 30 Nov 2022, 22:20

P38
Jack of All Trades
"You do not have to write this heroic ability down on the character sheet." I don't understand what this implies. You have to take this Heroic ability more times to learn more Professional abilities. Why would you not write them down? How would you keep track? There is some advantage implied here but I have no idea what that is.
I suspect the idea is that you just write the new profession ability on your sheet, but if that's the intent it would be clearer to say so.

Fenhorn

Wed 30 Nov 2022, 22:23

P38
Jack of All Trades
You don't write down 'Jack of All Trades', you instead write down the profession talent that you pick, because you can do this multiple times.

edit: Ninj'd
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Flishard

Thu 01 Dec 2022, 10:28

Throwing Arm talent - at the end of the description, "Roll the attack as normal. The enemy can parry or dodge the attack as usual. The weapon lands at the enemy’s feet."
the final sentence it would be helpful to add "...feet, after the attack hits or misses."

because... rules lawyers.