Tomas
Site Admin
Topic Author

Dragonbane BETA Rulebook Feedback - Chapter 3 Skills

Wed 30 Nov 2022, 11:47

Hi!

Please use this thread to post feedback and report any typos or errors in chapter 3 of the BETA PDF of the Rulebook Dragonbane. Guidelines to remember:
  • Before reporting an error, please check and see if it already has been reported, and if so, don't report it again.
  • If you feedbacked on something in the Quickstart but it's not changed in the BETA, it's not because we missed it - it's because we made a different assessment. (Typos are a different thing.)
  • Please report your feedback no later than January 31.
Thank you!
Fria Ligan

Ingvar

Re: Dragonbane BETA Rulebook Feedback - Chapter 3 Skills

Wed 30 Nov 2022, 16:20

P. 35, opposed rolls
"If both of you succeed with your rolls, your action succeeds if the result of your roll is lower than or equal to your opponent’s result. If the opponent’s result is lower than yours, you fail."
Should this not be the margin of success? As written, someone (A) with a skill level of (say) 12, actively opposing someone (B) with skill level 4 will lose the active contest in 75% of the cases that both succeed. An example would be "A rolls 7, a success; B rolls 3, a success; 3 is less than 7, B wins the context"

doc-t

Wed 30 Nov 2022, 16:59

Page 35, skill "Bushcraft"

On the character sheet at the end of the beta PDF, the skill is still called "Survival".

doc-t

Wed 30 Nov 2022, 17:09

Page 35, Awareness says "You use your AWARENESS skill to watch or listen for anyone sneaking around nearby (opposed roll, see SNEAKING below)."

However, page 36, Sneaking says "if someone is actively looking for you, you must make an opposed roll with your SNEAKING against the enemy’s SPOT HIDDEN."

Only one of both can be right. I suspect the text regarding Awareness, so the text describing Sneaking needs to refer to Awareness instead of Spot Hidden for the opposed roll.

doc-t

Wed 30 Nov 2022, 17:19

Page 37, Double Slash.

For clarity, the description should include when the ability needs to be activated, before or after rolling to hit, as is done in the description for "Assassin" etc.

doc-t

Wed 30 Nov 2022, 17:29

Page 38, Graverobber.

"direction of the most dangerous enemies" doesn't make sense to me. For one, "enemies", plural, so the ability does not show the direction, if it is only a single enemy? Also, "the most" is, as long as it exists and nothing worse comes into existence, always the same worst enemy which maybe is Cthulhu waiting to awaken in R'yleh... I don't know, does Graverobber always point to R'yleh? (or whatever Demon Lord *cough cough* the worst enemy/enemies is/are in the current fantasy world....)!?

Sorry, I don't get it.

VorpalMace

Wed 30 Nov 2022, 17:39

Page 38, Graverobber.

"direction of the most dangerous enemies" doesn't make sense to me. For one, "enemies", plural, so the ability does not show the direction, if it is only a single enemy? Also, "the most" is, as long as it exists and nothing worse comes into existence, always the same worst enemy which maybe is Cthulhu waiting to awaken in R'yleh... I don't know, does Graverobber always point to R'yleh? (or whatever Demon Lord *cough cough* the worst enemy/enemies is/are in the current fantasy world....)!?

Sorry, I don't get it.
I can handwave what, I'm more interested in why the ability is called Graverobber. The name has nothing to do with what the ability does. Monster Tracker or something akin to it would be more fitting.

doc-t

Wed 30 Nov 2022, 17:41

Page 38, Jack of All Trades. "You learn a profession ability from another profession than your own."

This directly contradicts page 14, Profession Ability: "Each profession has a profession ability that no other profession can learn."

The latter is wrong as long as Jack of all Trades exist.

In effect, Jack of All Trades makes all Profession Abilities equivalent to Heroic Abilities.

To rectify this convoluted situation, one could:
  • list previous Profession Abilities as Heroic Abilities,
  • drop the notion of Profession Abilities altogether,
  • in the Profession description just refer to the appropriate Heroic Ability, and
  • drop Jack of all Trades.

doc-t

Wed 30 Nov 2022, 17:48

Page 38, Graverobber.

Sorry, I don't get it.
I can handwave what, I'm more interested in why the ability is called Graverobber. The name has nothing to do with what the ability does. Monster Tracker or something akin to it would be more fitting.
Everything can be handwaved, but from a rulebook I expect clarity and guidance, and this description doesn't give any. "direction to the closest enemy most dangerous to the character" would give a hint what was intended, needs adjudication between "close" and "dangerous", which is helpful to build a story. "the most dangerous" is pointless.

On another thought, it seems to be somewhat redundant to the Wolfkin Kin Ability.

doc-t

Wed 30 Nov 2022, 17:55

Page 38, Linguist, "You automatically understand an ancient or obscure language, written or spoken, without a LORE roll."

That means, upon newly understanding anything in the new language, from now on until the end of days the character understands anything written or spoken in that language! Is this intended? Or is the intention "You automatically understand an ancient or obscure message, written or spoken, without a LORE roll.", so that upon the next contact with the same language, as it is a new message, the ability needs to be used anew.

Else, I can imagine players going into the next library for a few days, spending their WP there, and henceforth be the almighty translators of all written languages in that library.