nwmotogeek

Re: Dragonbane BETA Rulebook Feedback - Chapter 4 Combat & Damage

Thu 01 Dec 2022, 23:06

I don't see rules for being on fire. Suggest it be d4 per round for a small fire and d6 for a large one.

Narl

Fri 02 Dec 2022, 05:30

Page 48, Grapple. This seems too good. It should be done with a bane vs an armed opponent. Why can’t it be dodged? It seems that if someone tries to tackle you that getting the hell out of the way is a good strategy. I’d maybe go so far as to allow the initial grapple to be opposed with mobility or brawling (but then brawling to escape the grapple).

Also, none of the humanoid enemies have brawling but they all have ratings for mobility.

Narl

Fri 02 Dec 2022, 05:45

P.46 DURABILITY
The Beta now says that a weapon which parries but has its Durability exceeded is not usable until fixed by an artisan. In the Quickstart it said that the weapon could continue to be used but with a Bane. House ruling encouraged and all, but I prefer the Quickstart.
I agree. Weapons being made unusable is too harsh and will lead to players not parrying and/or packing a golf club bag full of spare swords.

It would make sense for a damaged weapon to break completely if it’s durability is overcome again.

Narl

Fri 02 Dec 2022, 06:00

Page 50. Armor. There is no way anyone is putting on or taking off plate armor in a single 10 second action. It really isn’t something that could be done in combat but if you want to make it a possibility how about one round/action per Armor Rating? Still not realistic but at least not ridiculous.

Warhippo

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 16:46

P48
Disarm section refers to SL (presumably Skill Level) however SL doesn’t appear to be referenced anywhere else and isn’t referred to in the abbreviation section on p6.

Warhippo

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 16:52

P47 - Dodging

Dodging on p47 states that you fall over when you dodge regardless of success or failure. I won’t be using this as it doesn’t fit thematically ie a PC cannot leap out of harm’s way without tripping over? Doesn't sound too heroic. Instead, I’ll have a successful dodge results in zero damage. A failed dodge will either be half damage and falling prone OR normal damage and standing. Rolling a Demon when dodging would result in falling prone and receiving normal damage.

Warhippo

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 16:54

P42

Melee Attacks under Actions on p42, mentions trip, disarm, grapple and break but on p48 under Special Attacks we have Find Weak Spot, Topple, Disarm, Grapple. No Trip (I presume that’s Topple) and no Break (though it is mentioned under Grapple). Where is Break?

Banesfinger

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 16:55

Page 42: Reactions
Was there a design reason to limit to EITHER an attack OR defense (Parry or Dodge)? This seems very restrictive?
In playtesting this we quickly found if you won initiative you attacked, and if you lost initiative you defended (boring, no choice).
Most versions of BRP/RuneQuest allow BOTH one attack and one (or more) reactions.

Warhippo

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 16:57

P49 Cover

Cover on p49 states that taking cover is an action but surely this could also be part of a standard move action? Following the RAW would suggest that a PC can spend an action to move to cover but then must spend another action to achieve the effect of being in cover.

Fenhorn

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 17:12

Page 42: Reactions
Was there a design reason to limit to EITHER an attack OR defense (Parry or Dodge)? This seems very restrictive?
In playtesting this we quickly found if you won initiative you attacked, and if you lost initiative you defended (boring, no choice).
Most versions of BRP/RuneQuest allow BOTH one attack and one (or more) reactions.
If you loose init and the init winner attacks (he could also await), you don't have to say what you do until you see if he hits and if he doesn't you can use your action to attack him (and he can't normally parry or dodge this since he has already used up his action). This means that you can feel your opponent a bit here and if you notice that you are better than him, it is usually better to await if you won the init. The combat system allows for far more tactics than the usual attack-parry, attack-parry.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore