Von Ether

Re: Dragonbane BETA Rulebook Feedback - Chapter 4 Combat & Damage

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 18:05

P.46 DURABILITY
The Beta now says that a weapon which parries but has its Durability exceeded is not usable until fixed by an artisan. In the Quickstart it said that the weapon could continue to be used but with a Bane. House ruling encouraged and all, but I prefer the Quickstart. Alternatively, reduce the Durability by 1, though I appreciate this just gives you something else to track.
I like it gives the Artisan something to do, but the QS would make a nice optional rule for those parties without an Artisan.

First Age

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 19:01

P.46 DURABILITY
The Beta now says that a weapon which parries but has its Durability exceeded is not usable until fixed by an artisan. In the Quickstart it said that the weapon could continue to be used but with a Bane. House ruling encouraged and all, but I prefer the Quickstart. Alternatively, reduce the Durability by 1, though I appreciate this just gives you something else to track.
I like it gives the Artisan something to do, but the QS would make a nice optional rule for those parties without an Artisan.
The Artisan would be able to return a weapon to full durability (or remove the Bane).
First Age
https://fae.ttrpg.uk

FLHTCU

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 20:27

Page 54: SLEEP DEPRIVATION. I feel this is quite lame, actually. I'm 67yrs old. All of my life I've been able to easily go 24hours before needing sleep (though I've had to adapt to a 'normal cycle due to operations reasons) and 30 with little difficulty. Getting to 36hours and I'd start to have major difficulty. True, this is real life (and I'm not longer quite as able).
Requiring sleep to function after 18 hours is ridiculous. Perhaps if you go more than 2 cycles of 4/1 work/rest shifts, or more than 5 shifts without a shift of rest the difficulties arise, though this should be able to be put off by at least 1 shift by a stretch of rest. Requiring a 3/1 work/rest cycle without penalties is not reasonable.

Fenhorn

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 20:39

Page 54: SLEEP DEPRIVATION. I feel this is quite lame, actually. I'm 67yrs old. All of my life I've been able to easily go 24hours before needing sleep (though I've had to adapt to a 'normal cycle due to operations reasons) and 30 with little difficulty. Getting to 36hours and I'd start to have major difficulty. True, this is real life (and I'm not longer quite as able).
Requiring sleep to function after 18 hours is ridiculous. Perhaps if you go more than 2 cycles of 4/1 work/rest shifts, or more than 5 shifts without a shift of rest the difficulties arise, though this should be able to be put off by at least 1 shift by a stretch of rest. Requiring a 3/1 work/rest cycle without penalties is not reasonable.
All that happens if you don't sleep is that you loose your capacity to recover WP and conditions and d6 WP per shift after the three. That is not so scary.

To loose d6 WP is bad but represent that you loosing your focus a bit, it is 3-4 on the average. The lose the ability to recover WP isnot that scary either because you can only recover HP/WP while doing a short rest once per shift, so that is not so much loss (you can still recover HP).

So, most characters will be able to go a couple of shifts over the limit if they must with not so much loss.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Ebrim

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 21:57

I didn’t see any rule about fleeing combat or chases.

Tactical movement can fill this role a little but we might need something a bit more abstract for characters that just want to get out of there.

In a similar vein, something about morale might be useful for arbitration of when creatures decide to flee or give chase.

CEBedford

Sun 04 Dec 2022, 16:55

I think there should be a distinction between environmental tricks, and improvised weapons. Most of the cards in the beta are environmental features you can stunt with. I’m cool with one “use” on these things being used in a fight. Tricks should be harder to pull off a second time against the same opponent. Would love to see a few more of these though.

Improvised weapons should be separate, and specifically objects you can “wield” or leverage to defend yourself. I think “used once” is a little nebulous in these cases. Items that can be wielded like weapons should be able to inflict damage 1-3 times before they break. GM discretion based on durability if not listed. Some tougher items can be used to parry but break after one attempt regardless of success. (The axe cuts through the table leg for instance.)

Improvised Weapons
full bottle: inflicts bludgeoning damage once. I love the already included blinding effect of the wine bottle, so keep that too. A demon means you damage yourself.
empty bottle: inflicts bludgeoning damage once, followed by piercing or slashing damage once. A demon means you damage yourself.
improvised club: Can be used to inflict damage like a club up to 3 times before it breaks. Can be used to parry once but then breaks. (table leg, bar stool, etc)
- Hoodie Infestation

JohnWithAgun

Mon 05 Dec 2022, 11:13

Page 48: special attacks.

Find Weak Spot: If i already have a bane, from exhausted for instance, is this still allowed?
The rules states you can never roll with more than one bane, however this special attack basically grants free armor-penetration to anyone with a bane if above question is allowed :S

JohnWithAgun

Mon 05 Dec 2022, 17:31

Page 51: Saving a life.
It states that you gain a bane/bone depending on equipment used on page 79: medicine table.
It might be a good idea to mention the relationship to this table under the saving a life text.

Spat

Mon 05 Dec 2022, 18:00

p.45, Shove : it is not clear if the Shove is in addition of dealing damage, or replaces them.
can this movement provoque the fall of the opponent of a cliff for example ? Or must the movement be only on safe grounds ?
p.46, Parry Movement : can this enemy movement provoque the fall of the opponent of a cliff for example ? Or must the movement be only on safe grounds ?
p.54, Sleep Deprivation « If you reach 0 HP ». Isn’t it WP ?

N1k0

Mon 05 Dec 2022, 18:31

Just read the rule, not tested yet.
Two things seem wierd:
1- Arrows mechanics: you only run out ao arrow if you roll a demon and then a 2 on the table. Feel strange to me, I prefer to have a resource die, like in forbidden lands, or count the shots. Maybe an optional rule?
2- You can get hungry but not thirsty... I get that the focus of the game is not survivalism but you have rule for sleep, camp, sleep, hunt... so it feel a bit incomplete.
(I don't know the original game so it is just my feeling)
Anyway I love the art and the work you have done so thanks again for the game!