Ghee

Re: Dragonbane BETA Rulebook Feedback - Chapter 5 Magic

Fri 02 Dec 2022, 08:00

Re Spell Rank: while the character creation chapter states that beginning characters can only take spells of rank 1, none of the following chapters state at which point a character can choose higher ranking spells. Are any spells available once a character advances? Or does spell rank go in sync with an increase in the corresponding skill?

Chekmx

Fri 02 Dec 2022, 09:57

For Magic Seal (Page 62) is a spell roll required by the wielder when the bound spell is cast or does the casting of magic Seal count as the successful roll?
If Permanece (Page 61) is then cast does this mean the spell can be cast repeatedly without any spell roll?
On The Character sheet(Pg113) Magic School Table has Level but I can see no reference elsewhere to what this might mean (is this simply the skill level?)
Last edited by Chekmx on Sat 03 Dec 2022, 01:09, edited 1 time in total.

Kaybe

Fri 02 Dec 2022, 13:43

Page 62

Charge Spell

As written, these WP batteries never expire. Quite likely a player state their mage uses Charge twice a day every day he never casts other spells, especially if time passes between adventures.

For example, one week between adventures could produce 7 WP batteries. (Or 14 if you do Charge for one shift and Rest the next shift, then start over again)

Perhaps if the Charge is for a magic item, the WP is permanent, but if it is just on a pebble or something, it has a duration?
If someone want to do something, they will have to do it during actual gameplay, when there is a risk with failed skill rolls, events, etc. But sure, that's me.
Probably the easiest solution would be to say that each Mage can only ever have a single WP battery 'crafted' at a time. Also, it needs a full rest to charge. There's a heroic ability in the game that grants just two WP, so giving five extra from a single spell is quite easily abused unless limited.

Triquetra

Fri 02 Dec 2022, 22:11

Pg. 58 Casting Spells
To cast a spell you must spend Willpower Points (WP)
and roll against your skill level in the relevant school.
Any school can be used to cast general spells. If the roll
succeeds, the spell has the intended effect, as per its
description. Otherwise, it has no effect. You can push
the roll if this optional rule is used. Magic tricks succeed
automatically and always cost 1 WP.
What parts of the above paragraph are to be considered optional? I assume that the only optional rule here is the ability to push magic rolls, but why is it baked into other non-optional rules like this? It makes it hard to read for no reason. Here's an alternative:
description. Otherwise, it has no effect. Magic tricks succeed

As an optional rule at the GM:s discretion,
you can also push the skill roll.

zook

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 03:07

Pg. 58 Casting Spells
description. Otherwise, it has no effect. You can push
the roll if this optional rule is used. Magic tricks succeed
What parts of the above paragraph are to be considered optional? I assume that the only optional rule here is the ability to push magic rolls, but why is it baked into other non-optional rules like this? It makes it hard to read for no reason. Here's an alternative:
description. Otherwise, it has no effect. Magic tricks succeed

As an optional rule at the GM:s discretion,
you can also push the skill roll.
Probably not best place to answer, but almost all if not all "optional rules" are intended as "you can optional don't use them, but this game was designed with them in use". Is kinda opposite to "normal" optional rules.

Warhippo

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 18:19

P59 Grimoire

I would suggest that the rules are clarified concerning the casting of spells from the grimoire which are normally cast as Reactions ie would casting a reaction spell from a grimoire cost reaction and a single action?

Warhippo

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 18:23

P59 Concentration.

Spells requiring concentration to maintain are ended when an action is taken (amongst other restrictions). Would this include walking?

FLHTCU

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 20:17

Page 65, spell: Sleep
You have it listed as "rank 2" but it's among the Rank 3 spells. Is it a typo or was is listed in the wrong place?

Ebrim

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 20:33

I’m also a little concerned (without having played the beta thus far) about Charge and lots of mage batteries hanging around. Or even the question of why aren’t these common in the world?

Spell mishap may put some breaks in this if you’re using that optional rule but I do feel this spell might benefit from another pass, some additional limitation (expensive or rare material component?)

Fenhorn

Sat 03 Dec 2022, 20:46

I’m also a little concerned (without having played the beta thus far) about Charge and lots of mage batteries hanging around. Or even the question of why aren’t these common in the world?

Spell mishap may put some breaks in this if you’re using that optional rule but I do feel this spell might benefit from another pass, some additional limitation (expensive or rare material component?)
In the old game it was extremely expensive to learn this spell because of its high ranking. FL seems to have forgotten to add a rule for this in this beta. They sorted out the spells in ranks and that is the first step, the next step is for FL to write a rule how many advancement marks it will cost to learn it (or whatever method they will choose).
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore