Warhippo

Re: Dragonbane BETA Rulebook Feedback - Chapter 6 Gear

Sun 04 Dec 2022, 11:52

Magic Items

I can’t seem to find much about magic items. Were they left out on purpose? Magic Swords, armour, wands, rings, etc. Can’t find them. For example, combining Magic Seal / Permanence / Fire Blast gives you a flaming magical sword (of sorts). I’m sure that there are far more imaginative spell combos out there - that’s just the first thing that popped up for me :)

If they’re excluded, I think that there should be some sort of explanation as to why they’re not part of the DB game world.

Just noticed that the Wight (p98) suffers half damage from non-magical weapons (there are other monsters that have this sort of resistance) so magic weapons are …. somewhere?
I think that they haven't been added yet. Considering this is a beta, we most likely got everything we need to start trying the game out, but the rest will be added in time.
I hope that you’re right there but that’s not what I’ve taken from the beta rules. FL have said that the rules are mostly written and they require feedback. Excluding magic items, armour and weaponry stops any chance of us providing feedback on a fairly major aspect of the rules. Obviously, I may well be wrong here :)

Melvin

Sun 04 Dec 2022, 14:51

The quickstart has 2 magic objects, a sword and a crown. So...

Warhippo

Mon 05 Dec 2022, 01:28

Just noticed that on page 108 under Gear, it references page 62 for magical items. This page refers to the aforementioned spells which can be used to create magic items but, as noted, no actual items are listed.

JohnWithAgun

Mon 05 Dec 2022, 11:41

Page 73: Armor and Helmets Table
Maybe add column or other indication if item has special rule page 50 applied to it.

JohnWithAgun

Mon 05 Dec 2022, 17:02

melee/ranged weapons page 74/75
Some items have the descriptor heavy/light, but not clear if this pure description or it follows the rules of heavy items page 29 as its missing the wight column.

Its also not clear to me if it effect the weapons at hand rule in anyway.

I also wonder why crossbows dont revive a damage bonus.

Spat

Mon 05 Dec 2022, 18:02

p.73, 74, Melee Weapons : where is the weight of all the armors / weapons ? Adventurers will carry extra weapon or pieces of armor.
p.78, Lamps : the rule to roll a dice each stretch to see if the Lamp goes out can turn very boring as the stretch end is probably not in an « action » moment. Could be replaced by a fixed duration + a roll during combat, run, etc…

Short Fey

Wed 07 Dec 2022, 22:22

p.73, 74, Melee Weapons : where is the weight of all the armors / weapons ? Adventurers will carry extra weapon or pieces of armor.
I think that as a rule of thumb, unless stated otherwise or it is a tiny item, all items and weapons have a weight value of 1.
Beware the fey!

Tancred

Thu 08 Dec 2022, 09:57

The scimitar has the 'toppling' ability which seems weird - my understanding is the curved blade isn't really intended to snag or trip an opponent.

zook

Sat 10 Dec 2022, 11:34

The scimitar has the 'toppling' ability which seems weird - my understanding is the curved blade isn't really intended to snag or trip an opponent.
It's kinda hard topic. Curved blade indeed aren intended for hook or trip as main feature, but curvature of blade make it easier to do so.

Von Ether

Sat 17 Dec 2022, 23:13

Just noticed that on page 108 under Gear, it references page 62 for magical items. This page refers to the aforementioned spells which can be used to create magic items but, as noted, no actual items are listed.
It refers to the spells on that page that are needed to empower an object with spells and WP points. (Charge, Magic Seal, and Permanence.)

With these spells, a GM can turn any spell in the core book into either a temporary or permanent magic item that either burns WP from a built in battery or the user's WP. It also creates WP batteries as well, though I am on the fence about how long these should be good for as to curb a wizard from using any long periods of downtime to make a ton of them.

Here's the magic item I put together inspired by the these spells.

Willard's Wooden Beans:
Chopped from the tip of a living root of an old, huge tree, these bits of wood are carved and polished to look like large beans. The user must toss the bean at a target and expend 6 WP to activate them. The target is ensnared by roots and branches sprouting out of the bean and the targets are unable to move. Breaking free requires a STR roll with a bane. Each attempt counts as an action in combat. Only one attempt is allowed per round, but others can help. The magic item does not work on monsters. Each bean crumbles into dust after it is used.