Jeff Wilder
Topic Author

Hope's Last Day question ...

Wed 09 Nov 2022, 02:43

Is Holroyd's status as an android supposed to be a secret? I don't see anything explicit about it one way or the other.

If it's up in the air, are there good reasons for swinging it one way or the other? I'd lean toward "it's not a secret" for two reasons (se below), but I could be persuaded otherwise if folks have had a good time keeping it secret.

Reasons I'd swing to "not a secret android" - (1) There was a secret android in CotG, which is the only other scenario we've played. (2) The roleplaying is likely to be immediately different and possibly dramatic if everybody is aware from the outset.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.
Jeff Wilder | San Francisco Bay Area
"And if you bore me, you lose your soul to me." | Belly

Midnightplat

Re: Hope's Last Day question ...

Wed 09 Nov 2022, 02:59

So Holroyd's agenda is at cross purpose with the PCs, he wants them to survive, though he has secret knowledge as what's the cause for the Hadley's Hope Disaster. So given that I see no need for a sort sociopathic "infiltrator mode" android like Ash.

I'd say Holroyd's basically a Bishop type function. Embedded as an Android, known to be an Android, and as a roughneck, probably gives his crew a value added due to his Android capabilities in a hostile terraforming environment. I want to say in other scenarios W-Y has Androids on worksites openly as android. I think, gameworld wise, that's probably more the norm, and "infiltrators" with orders at cross purposes are more a "special ops" sort of deployment.

So basically treat Holroyd who had "right to know" some information about the scenario but is programmed to see everyone else in the party not having the same "right to know." And he may feel something akin to guilt over that, which helps motivate him.

Just my take, I haven't read Hope's Last Day in like a year, but just from memory and looking over the character sheet, yeah I think Holroyd the Android should be a company asset provided the characters colony mission, not some sort of secret agent (beyond a top secret briefing programmed in his memory).

Jeff Wilder
Topic Author

Wed 09 Nov 2022, 03:04

Just my take

It's a pretty convincing take, and I'm definitely leaning harder toward agreement. (Heh. I just noticed that Holroyd doesn't even have a second name. Yeah, I think he's openly synthetic.)

Midnightplat

Wed 09 Nov 2022, 04:49

"Openly synthentic" I like that. Also PM sent.

_ArthurDallas_

Wed 09 Nov 2022, 16:23

Ya Holroyd is a "bishop" type not a "Ash" type. It's a good guy.

Enjoy your games.

Byrax

Fri 11 Nov 2022, 13:23

I assume he is "there" as an open android pc for players to try out the android rules, before someone will need to be a secret android pc in other cinematic scenarios.

TheoGB

Thu 29 Dec 2022, 19:29

I figure it's down to the player to decide if they're open or not.

One query I have: there are two different sets of maps of Hadley's Hope in the book itself (and a printer friendly version to download here) but the ones in the book appear to be the same. Is that right or did I miss some key feature?

TheoGB

Fri 30 Dec 2022, 13:29

Hmm, was just thinking that being a truly secret Android, i.e. from the players as well is effectively impossible because androids don't use stress dice. I mean they could roll them alongside normal dice and pretend but if they only get a success in the stress dice then technically it shouldn't work. I guess that's kind of fun as a thing that will give them away?

Jeff Wilder
Topic Author

Sat 31 Dec 2022, 01:08

Hmm, was just thinking that being a truly secret Android, i.e. from the players as well is effectively impossible because androids don't use stress dice.

Chariot of the Gods has rules for secret androids. Basically it comes down to "follow all the rules for humans until either (a) you decide not to, or (b) you take a critical injury."