Deep_Impact
Topic Author

Movement

Sun 06 Nov 2022, 09:47

Some questions about movement

1) Charging
You may not measure before the movement? Understand the rule, but there is no rule, when or when not to measure. So I could measure before deciding if to move, sprint or shoot, but may not charge then anymore?

2) Sprinting
Don´t understand the rule completly. You may only move into your front arc, but moving (sprint = 2x moving) may change facing at any time. And what means this "final direction of facing at the end"? Does it mean I have to face the same direction as started?
The same rules apply to moving as for Move & Attack,
except that a sprinting model can only move into its
forward arc in each move and for the final direction
of facing at the end of the sprint.
3. Move & Attack
"Move horizontally", does this include jumping over gaps if start and landing points are the same level? (tbh thats a quite munchkin interpretation ...)
Move & Attack: Move the model horizontally
up to its base Move distance

Fenhorn

Re: Movement

Sun 06 Nov 2022, 10:20

<>
You may not measure before the movement? Understand the rule, but there is no rule, when or when not to measure. So I could measure before deciding if to move, sprint or shoot, but may not charge then anymore?
<>
I haven't had the time to read the rule but it is a bit of a classic rule when it comes to this type of games that you are not allowed to measure things at all before you decide to do the action related to it. The idea is that you only measure up a distances when you are doing actions related to it. To speed up the game and to avoid things like, "I'm charging that mutant.", - measuring -, "oh, no I'm not charging because the distance was a little bit to long, I'm shooting instead now".
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Deep_Impact
Topic Author

Sun 06 Nov 2022, 10:58

I understand the intention of the rule, but in this case it should be a general rule.

e.g.: You declare "Move & Attack" on a specific modell. If the range is to high at the end, the Attack is just wasted.

That´s not the kind of game I wanna play, but it would be clear.

Fenhorn

Sun 06 Nov 2022, 11:17

It looks (now when I have glanced over the rules we have) that it is only for the charge action they have the no measuring rule. Charge is a very powerful action and it fits the description of the action, you are doing an headlong rush to attack. So this means that you can't measure up the distance just to see if the enemy is within 10'' of you and then say "I charge". You might know the distance because you have shoot the enemy before this.

Deep_Impact
Topic Author

Sun 06 Nov 2022, 11:25

Last time I saw "no measuring before" was in the 30 year old D&D tabletop. :D
This kind of rule favours the owner of the terrain massivley.

only for the charge action they have the no measuring rule.
Yes, thats the problem I have. Deciding which action would be "with measuring", but one single action is without ...?

Fenhorn

Sun 06 Nov 2022, 11:53

The charge action is very powerful though, you are charging in head first. The move and attack is much slower, but safer.

Deep_Impact
Topic Author

Sun 06 Nov 2022, 11:56

The charge action is very powerful though, you are charging in head first. The move and attack is much slower, but safer.
I think we are talking at cross purposes.

Fenhorn

Sun 06 Nov 2022, 12:04

I think we are talking at cross purposes.
Then I have no idea what you mean.

I have played a lot of Necromunda and Mordheim (and of course other more battlefield oriented games) and the owner of those game didn't actually have that much advantage when measuring.

Deep_Impact
Topic Author

Sun 06 Nov 2022, 12:19

Okay what I want to say: Knowing the measurement of the terrain pieces is some kind of advantage.

Second, I´m completly okay that charging is powerful, but I prefer clear rules without exceptions. In this case a simple: "Distances are not to be measured before executing the action. If a distance is too long attacks miss ans/or models just move the maximum distance."

At least a possible house rule.

Fenhorn

Sun 06 Nov 2022, 12:27

I was a bit surprised that they only have the "no measuring before ... " rule for the charge action, not as a general rule. I like the "no measuring before ... " rule because it speeds up play and just as in a real combat, mistakes can happen. But I haven't played this yet so perhaps it works anyway without slowing down the game (because some players just must check everything before they do something). I guess we would house rule the game so there is no pre-measuring for anything before you have declared that the intended action.