Clevername
Topic Author

Spending XP during vs. after

Fri 04 Nov 2022, 15:06

RAW: "You can only spend XP during a Quarter Day when you REST or SLEEP." (See page 39 and following.)

This may be a translation or wording error, or just chalk it up to the strangeness of English. "When" can mean "after" or "during" as it is written here. The text goes on to explain various restrictions or exceptions to this statement, but does not clarify this problem of interpretation.

While I think you can make cogent arguments for either interpretation (and we can always play it as we want), I'd love to know the original intent. is it:

(A) It seems like you can increase skills and talents during sleep, that correct? (Ex for the exceptions re: first rank, magic, etc.)

OR

(B) Is this saying you must have had rest or sleep in order to train (spend XP)? If this is the case does all training take 1/4 of a day?
Last edited by Clevername on Fri 04 Nov 2022, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.

Fenhorn

Re: Spending XP during vs. after

Fri 04 Nov 2022, 15:31

XP can only be used after a rest or sleep. Learning a new skill/talent just have another requirement that you have had to do before you rest or sleep.

So you if you have used a skill successfully, with skill level 0, during a session or have been instructed by a trainer in the skill (with a skill level of at least 1), you can in the session, after a rest or sleep spend 5 XP to increase that skill to skill level 1.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Clevername
Topic Author

Fri 04 Nov 2022, 15:40

Thanks for your info.

What about the time it takes? Does spending XP always require 1/4 day of training. I'm not talking about getting a level 1 skill or talent, say going from 2 to 3 or can that just be during any period of REST.
Last edited by Clevername on Fri 04 Nov 2022, 16:08, edited 1 time in total.

Fenhorn

Fri 04 Nov 2022, 15:48

You spend XP during Rest or Sleep and that always takes a quarter day.

Clevername
Topic Author

Fri 04 Nov 2022, 16:22

You spend XP during Rest or Sleep and that always takes a quarter day.
Thanks. That is clearer.

So, I've been asking the wrong question then... My question then is there any requirement to spend say a 1/4 day training to buy a skill or talent up a level, from say 2 to three. I think the answer to that is "No."

Fenhorn

Fri 04 Nov 2022, 16:28

There is only a requirement to learn new skills and talents not when you increase a skill that you already have skill levels in or talents that you already have ranks in. There is an exception to that (sort of) when it comes to magic talents. they cost three times as much if you do it without instructions from a teacher.

Clevername
Topic Author

Fri 04 Nov 2022, 16:37

There is only a requirement to learn new skills and talents not when you increase a skill that you already have skill levels in or talents that you already have ranks in. There is an exception to that (sort of) when it comes to magic talents. they cost three times as much if you do it without instructions from a teacher.
Thanks again.

fougerec

Wed 16 Nov 2022, 14:53

One of the many reasons I love the Talents that have specific activities count as rest :)