Hemlocks
Topic Author

Re: Poison...no effect on monster???

Sat 05 Nov 2022, 06:11

So most monsters lack a wits or empathy score. Those poisons either have no effect or would otherwise instantly break monsters.

Agility generally doesn't exceed Kin norms. So, somewhere from 2-6 rounds and the creature would be broken. Neutralizing all monsters.

But they roll Endurance right? So is that 12-36 strength of dice? The system starts to break down. And that goes to the lethal poisons with the same and different issues. What are you rolling to resist? What is lethal poison to a creature with 40 health? How does a lethal poison effect a Hydra with multiple health bars for each head?
Poison, will effect the hydra the same way a puny dagger or arrow would do. Strength damage or otherwise.

Konungr

Sat 05 Nov 2022, 13:27

Was this an answer to my reply? If so you misunderstood it.
It wasn't. It was to the OP explaining why the rule is Monsters are unaffected by them.

Konungr

Sat 05 Nov 2022, 13:30

So most monsters lack a wits or empathy score. Those poisons either have no effect or would otherwise instantly break monsters.

Agility generally doesn't exceed Kin norms. So, somewhere from 2-6 rounds and the creature would be broken. Neutralizing all monsters.

But they roll Endurance right? So is that 12-36 strength of dice? The system starts to break down. And that goes to the lethal poisons with the same and different issues. What are you rolling to resist? What is lethal poison to a creature with 40 health? How does a lethal poison effect a Hydra with multiple health bars for each head?
Poison, will effect the hydra the same way a puny dagger or arrow would do. Strength damage or otherwise.
You cannot damage a Hydra's body. You damage each head individually and need to remove all it's heads to kill it. So poisoning a hydra wouldn't work like a dagger would.

Jizmack

Sun 06 Nov 2022, 00:07

Poisons cause specific chemical reactions that result in specific symptoms. What is poisonous to a Human physiology may be inert to a Lizard physiology, for example. I would expect a supernatural or an otherworldly entity to have alien or magical physiology. So, poisons not working on monsters seems perfectly feasible.

Oddball_E8

Sun 09 Apr 2023, 09:44

Poisons cause specific chemical reactions that result in specific symptoms. What is poisonous to a Human physiology may be inert to a Lizard physiology, for example. I would expect a supernatural or an otherworldly entity to have alien or magical physiology. So, poisons not working on monsters seems perfectly feasible.
I came here to basically say this, but with an addendum.

I say that poisons should work on monsters... however, not normal poisons like you'd use against humans. You'd have to find specific (and mostly very rare and in most cases widely unknown) poisons for that specific monster. What would be poisonous to a manticore might not be poisonous to an insectoid, for example.

And, of course, some monsters should not be effected by poisons at all, like undead or ghosts or demons.

But to expect a standard generic "poison" to work on monsters seems a bit silly, IMHO.

I'd personally roleplay it. Your players want a poison that paralyzes a manticore? Sure, but they'll have to have a mini-adventure just to find someone who knows how to make that poison, and then another adventure to find the ingredients which are all very rare and strange, like silver, toenail cuttings from a giant and an orcs snot.

After they've done that once, though, they'll know how to make the poison themselves, and might use it again in the future as long as they can find the super-rare ingredients, of course.

EDIT: And, of course, some monsters are so close to human/dwarf/elf physiology that they'd be effected, but they'd need greater doses... like an Ogre, for example. They're half human half dwarf, so logically most poisons would work on them, but they're massive and tougher, so maybe you'd have to use ten times the dose for it to work.

grimthot

Sun 09 Apr 2023, 12:24

I came here to basically say this, but with an addendum.

I say that poisons should work on monsters... however, not normal poisons like you'd use against humans. You'd have to find specific (and mostly very rare and in most cases widely unknown) poisons for that specific monster. What would be poisonous to a manticore might not be poisonous to an insectoid, for example.

And, of course, some monsters should not be effected by poisons at all, like undead or ghosts or demons.

But to expect a standard generic "poison" to work on monsters seems a bit silly, IMHO.

I'd personally roleplay it. Your players want a poison that paralyzes a manticore? Sure, but they'll have to have a mini-adventure just to find someone who knows how to make that poison, and then another adventure to find the ingredients which are all very rare and strange, like silver, toenail cuttings from a giant and an orcs snot.

After they've done that once, though, they'll know how to make the poison themselves, and might use it again in the future as long as they can find the super-rare ingredients, of course.

EDIT: And, of course, some monsters are so close to human/dwarf/elf physiology that they'd be effected, but they'd need greater doses... like an Ogre, for example. They're half human half dwarf, so logically most poisons would work on them, but they're massive and tougher, so maybe you'd have to use ten times the dose for it to work.
Perfect !
It's not a bug, it's a feature :)
that provide great stories !