Skelion
Topic Author

Bloodmarch and Book of Beasts, my players will be disappointed ...

Sat 29 Oct 2022, 14:41

Hi,
First I would like to say that I realy love the new books, but have some general problems with your Expansions:
1. You introduce new Kins (Ogres or Saurians) or sub Kins like Moonelves or the Wolfkin/Orc hybrid but don't give the options for the players to play it.
2. Magic Users get new Paths to learn but all others get nothing or very little new options. Thats alittle disappointing for 3/4 of my players. They realy hoped to get some new path options for there profession too, mostly the Rider in my round. Because Bloodmarch is Aslene Land.
Is there a reason for this, maybe a book that will only deal with new kin and professions options?

hreyrr

Re: Bloodmarch and Book of Beasts, my players will be disappointed ...

Thu 10 Nov 2022, 01:00

Hello,
I can only agree with you on both points.
The books themselves are great and help with the whole sandbox idea, but my players tend to be incredibly analytical when it comes to talent choice. An official! book full of kin variants and talent choices ist absolutely needed and I really hoped that the Bloodmarch would have contained at least some additional talents. The one thing I'm missing from our prior system Pathfinder, is the constant addition of cool new player choices.

Konungr

Thu 10 Nov 2022, 21:56

I don't have this problem for the campaign book or the book of beasts.

That being said, I would at some point like a Players Guide 2 or whatever with expanded Kin options, maybe some guidelines for creating new Kin Talents for GMs, and expanded talents and equipment (official rank 4 and 5 of every current talent).

I don't necessarily need more professions. I think the professions we have cover the bases really well.

JohanR

Thu 10 Nov 2022, 22:44

Well, I know it might not help you, and I know that a lot of you might not like Reforged Power.
But it is currently being completely rewritten, and I am modularizing everything. So that no two modules are interconnected (but some will say "if you use module 'XYZ', then ...").
I am also removing a lot of stuff, so that it is more like the original rules. When it is done, it might at least provide some homebrew alternatives, or at least something you could use for ideas.

I'll also add some popular alternatives, that I do not myself use, but that a lot of you have found enjoyable, like you need "skill levels for talent ranks" and so on..
I have tried to gather other critique, and changed a lot of things from that - that have not been released yet, so if you have any critique, etc, please send me a message!

hreyrr

Fri 11 Nov 2022, 02:34

Well, I know it might not help you, and I know that a lot of you might not like Reforged Power.
I personally liked Reforged Powers and I used some of your mechanics for my game (especially the expanded journey ones).
I don't necessarily need more professions. I think the professions we have cover the bases really well.
They absolutely do and I would go as far as to say that additional talent ranks don't even have to be implemented. On the other hand additional kin would flesh out addon area starter groups and make these charakters unique in their own way.
I feel like the talent choices in FB is one of its big selling points for my group. These aren't just some random dice boni. They add flavour in the form of new actions and handy skills.
Any addition is highly anticipated and with every new book I got asked if FL added new talents. It's great to see a pure Bestiary in the form of Book of Beasts. I really hope they will expand on their range of "basic books" in the near future.

Konungr

Fri 11 Nov 2022, 10:40

Book of Beasts is actually the first product they put out that I am mostly disappointed with.

The monsters do the typical game thing of adding an adjective to a monster we already have. Book of beasts includes 2 new ghosts, 3 dragons and 2 trolls. Great... I don't want "Bear. But now fire!" I want new unique monsters that pose interesting threats. I can reskin a monster with a different breath weapon all on my own, thank you very much.

The harvesting monster part rules were not very interesting and sub par. And the alchemy rules were disjointed from the rest of the game. Hopefully fixed in the final version. Both of those mechanics will be getting house ruled at my table otherwise.

TartanArmy

Thu 09 Mar 2023, 03:51

So I just backed the double feature of this on KS...how/when do I get the pdf's? Thanks.

Fenhorn

Thu 09 Mar 2023, 07:26

So I just backed the double feature of this on KS...how/when do I get the pdf's? Thanks.
If you are a late pledger, you have to email support@frialigan.se so they can fix this manually.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore