FatherJ_ct
Topic Author

Rule suggestions for inebriation/drunk

Mon 17 Oct 2022, 02:34

Tried to post this last night but evidently did not hit submit so redoing post.

Any suggestions for handling inebriation/being drunk?

I was updating my foundry vtt world with the prison site scenario and the Borkowski [Svensson] brothers have a couple bottles of "potato vodka moonshine", so while I was creating the item I had the thought of how getting drunk/being drunk works.

pg 77 of player's manual "Alcoholism 1 point of stress and no stress recovery each shift without drinking alcohol"

My initial suggestion is to base it on the stress mechanic/rads/sleep deprivation. Every drink (shot glass) you have to succeed on stamina roll or take a stress. On the first taking a stress hit from drinking, you have the condition of inebriated. Every finished bottle gives a -1 to the stamina roll. If you are incapacitated by stress while inebriated you must immediately sleep one shift (pass out) and are impossible to wake up during that time. While inebriated all AGL/INT rolls are -1 (you could include a higher modifier for higher levels of intoxication, say...equal to half the stress hits rounded up. so 5 drunk stress hits would be -3). Heal one drunk stress hit per shift, two if also slept.

Any other suggestions?

ckosacranoid

Re: Rule suggestions for inebriation/drunk

Mon 17 Oct 2022, 06:10

One drink is not going to really screw anyone up unless they are young child. I would have to at three drinks then start dealing with rolls.

Vcutter

Mon 17 Oct 2022, 10:47

I use the following, when we are talking more than social drinking:
-1 stress (to actually make it mechanically appealing to push your luck with alcohol)
Roll STA or suffer -1 to actions when applicable for one shift.
The roll STA again after that shift or continue suffering -1 due to bring hung over

aramis

Mon 31 Oct 2022, 02:24

Basically Alcohol's effects are reduction of coordination and executive function (ability to plan ahead and to make risk assessments). In large doses, it makes many irritable and/or surly; others become dopey and overfriendly.
So, game terms... coordination is AGL. Executive function is Int. Irritable and surly is Emp...
A unit is 1 shot (25ml) 40% (80 proof)... and the body of a mid weight drops it by 1 unit an hour. Basically, if your healthy weight would be 70kg, your liver processes 1 unit per hour. US beer runs 1.5 units per can; german 2 to 3 units per pint.
even 2 units is notably impairing for reflex/reaction times and executive function... but the exceptional width of the atts makes it problematic.

Roll (units on board) d6, each 6 is one of (roll 1d8)
8 +1 CUF -1 AGL
7 +1 CUF -1 INT
6 -1 INT & -1 AGL
4-5 -1 INT
2-3 -1 AGL
1 +1 CUF

If STR A & Units under 5...
STR B & units under 4...
STR C & units under 3...
STR D & units under 2...
Use d6 instead of d8.

If an att stepped down to F, pass out for 1d6×10 min.
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...

FatherJ_ct
Topic Author

Tue 01 Nov 2022, 05:40

One drink is not going to really screw anyone up unless they are young child. I would have to at three drinks then start dealing with rolls.
If you have 5 stress hits free...you would have to have 5 drinks and fail all 5 rolls to "pass out" so that seems pretty fair for hard alcohol. Chances are good you would make half your rolls...so more like 10 shots etc. conditon alcoholism could give you a plus to the roll (not be affected) :)