metacrust
Topic Author

How to start a campang

Sun 09 Oct 2022, 08:14

Hello!

Need some advise on how to start a t2000 campage. How did you do it?

Oddball_E8

Re: How to start a campang

Sun 09 Oct 2022, 10:33

I played this for my players: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-61wAh ... l=Spelkult (It's in swedish, though)

And then we basically started with "you're here on the map, where do you want to go, what's your next step".

Of course, we made the player characters a week or so ahead of time (and separately since I like my players characters to have secrets and not know everything about each other)

Vcutter

Sun 09 Oct 2022, 11:16

I suggest reading again the default ”starting the game”, p31 Referees manual. It is pretty good advice for the average PC group.
If your group is of more of a ”non default” character composition (like all are ex prisoners or war journalists) then you might want to develop something else.
For the ”normal” TW group composition giving the ”Death of a division” handout and showing the map and asking them where they want to escape the soviet troops that are lilely chasing them will most likely do.

baldrick0712

Sun 09 Oct 2022, 17:54

This video is in English. I've provided the time the backstory begins in the link so it starts in the right place.

T2K4 Backstory

markyerhardt

Tue 11 Oct 2022, 00:34

I would watch some twitch and youtube campaigns. The guys at ARPG did a great session here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIsSJoU ... yKmXqI-IXD

good luck on your game.

silverfoxdmt73

Wed 12 Oct 2022, 13:31

My party were mainly civilians, a doctor from Egypt, a British career criminal and a US rich-boy drafted into the war. We started them hiding out in an old pharmacy on the outskirts of Kalisz shortly after Operation Reset. They were planning on leaving the area and I added a couple of quick encounters to create a little drama as they left (refugees asking for help and some marauders intent on robbing them.)

omnipus

Fri 14 Oct 2022, 00:29

I'd start by doing a solid session 0 where you explain the basics of the world, answer questions about it, and then ask the players what they find the most interesting about it. Then you have some homework to do to learn/invent enough about the world to flesh out those aspects of it. The traditional campaign setup has always been group of mostly US soldiers trying to escape military disaster on their own, but that may not be what your players are into at all!

Regardless, I'd have the players start out in a fairly desperate situation. Low on supply and without many places to turn. The situation has just changed for them dramatically -- now what?
Author, Central Poland Sourcebook -- now available on DriveThruRPG

aramis

Wed 26 Oct 2022, 04:46

Hello!

Need some advise on how to start a t2000 campage. How did you do it?
I've used this in first, second, and fourth editions:
You're in the front, the day of the battle... your CO ordered you into cover, and the battle drifted away... the CO died a few minutes ago, and his radio picks up a coded message - you can see his codebook, the transmission reads, "SHAFE/NATO/US TO NATO FORCES EUROPE: ORDERS 1100Z 19 APR 00. NO FURTHER COMMANDS FROM CONUS, NO SUPPLY CHAIN AVAILABLE. ALL PRIOR ORDERS CANCELLED. RETURN TO CONUS AS ABLE. GOOD LUCK. YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN. AUTH CHECKSUM..."
A few minutes later, another message, faint, but readable...
"CINCLANT TO US/CAN FORCES EUROPE 1120Z 19 APR 00 TRANSPORT AUTHORIZATION. ALL US/CAN FORCES IN EUROPE WILL BE ALLOWED RETURN TO CONUS VIA USN, NOAA, USCG, AND USMM VESSELS UPON VALIDATION OF IDENTITY AS US/CAN FORCES. COLLECTION POINTS 51° 26' 40" N 0° 45' 13" E, 49°10'10" N 2° 06' 47" E, 49°29'00" N 2° 31' 00" E, ALL WITHIN 500 M. SIGNAL UPON ARRIVAL AND AWAIT INSTRUCTIONS. TRANSPORT WINDOW 0000Z 1 JUN 00 TO 2399Z 4 JUL 00"

Those locations? Sheerness Dockyard (mouth of the Thames), St. Helier (Jersy), St Sampson (Gurnsey). Just getting there is a rough go. Not to mention that there aren't enough to actually carry even a tenth the forces.
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...

FatherJ_ct

Tue 01 Nov 2022, 03:11

I have decided for my T2k world...the Going home collections/staging will happen late spring 2001 (May), so players have the fall/winter to survive/adventure and run into the rumors/radio chatter/intelligence services trying to contact/info all units as well.

Figuring that part of the agreement of the us forces to clear poland of soviets (operation reset offensive) was done in agreement to then get help from germany/poland for shipping resources, plus time to collect said shipping sources over the course of 2000 (from the fleet bashing in late 1998 and just surviving the epidemics of 1999 etc) and time to communicate/spread the word to all sources and give them time to reach staging area to leave. MilGov wants troops home to recover U.S. (anti-milGov will likely try to sabotage this effort).

Having them leave out of Bremerhaven Germany (well, actually nearby Wilhelmshaven deep water port).