Baranor
Topic Author

Strider mode and combat tasks

Fri 30 Sep 2022, 18:51

Hi all - I've been a huge fan of the addition of Strider mode but am curious about how to use combat tasks based on others' experience. For example, some combat tasks such as Rally Comrades or Protect Companion specify that other characters gain the resulting benefit. Would it disrupt balance too much to allow those benefits to apply to your own character in Strider mode? I couldn't find specific guidelines on those examples in the Strider mode manual. From a narrative perspective I feel it would make sense that a lone adventurer could better focus on their own individual combat advantages when not worrying about companions. Thanks!

Rafamir

Re: Strider mode and combat tasks

Sun 02 Oct 2022, 16:35

I don't think your suggestion would disrupt balance so much as it would offer less palatable alternatives. I can't really see the benefit of opting for the combat task of Protect Self (instead of Companion) when the necessary stance already penalizes adversaries -1d on their attack. If you forego your attack to instead roll Battle, you forfeit an opportunity to damage/eliminate any adversaries.

Similarly, losing an attack to Rally Self (instead of [self plus] Comrades) to get an extra +1d the next round might be useful in some situations, but I think I'd always opt for getting to attack instead.

By all means, house rule/customize combat tasks to adapt them to solo adventures however you want and let us know how it goes.
Last edited by Rafamir on Wed 05 Oct 2022, 17:20, edited 1 time in total.

Jsemple

Sun 02 Oct 2022, 17:39

Yes in fact if you have the right skill, using Battle to try and get a permanent Advantage for the rest of the Combat (as per the rules on pages 101-102 of the 2e Core Rulebook) seems a better option than Rally Self.
James Semple

Harlath

Mon 03 Oct 2022, 18:29

- Rally Comrades can include yourself (perhaps you're a Ranger using Royalty Revealed!)

"On a successful roll, all members of the Company fighting in a Forward stance gain (1d) on their attack rolls in the following round. If the roll produces a single Success icon , then also all those fighting in Open stance gain the same bonus." (my emphasis)

Protect companion: seconding the suggestions above to use the Battle skill for Complications/Advantages. This can generate a bonus/penalty that lasts for a round, or even the whole combat if you get a 6! A PC can also use the defensive stance to replicate some of the effect of Protect Companion, this seems a good route using the existing ruleset for a solo PC. Plus not just Battle generates advantages/complication, remember the section on "Other Actions" and use other skills in combat creatively too! :)