Lormin

Re: The Lord of the Rings (5E) Early Access Feedback

Fri 07 Oct 2022, 23:53

There no place to note Shadow points on the character sheet, nor for the two associated conditions
there is no place to note fellowship points either

Falco406

Sat 15 Oct 2022, 16:11

General Question...
Will the PDF ever be updated to include links to pages from the contents page?

MrTetley

Sun 16 Oct 2022, 04:03

On reviewing my pdf edition of the new Middle Earth 5e rule set, I noticed there is no statistical entry for the long-hafted axe, even though the preceding page displays an image of said weapon. I currently own the TOR 2ed, which has an entry for this particular weapon. Could you please update the weapon chart to reflect the addition of this weapon.

BytomMan

Sun 16 Oct 2022, 18:09

In the previous version (Cubicle 7), it was the same as a Great Axe. In the Beowulf 5E book (which has similar Dark Ages weaponry), a great axe is referred to as "long-hafted" and has 1d12 damage.

In The One Ring, there is a mechanical difference between Great Axe and Long-Hafted Axe, in terms of injury. Long-hafted axe can be 1- or 2-handed. Perhaps treating it like a bastard sword and allowing 1d10 damage if 1-handed and 1d12 damage if 2-handed?
On reviewing my pdf edition of the new Middle Earth 5e rule set, I noticed there is no statistical entry for the long-hafted axe, even though the preceding page displays an image of said weapon. I currently own the TOR 2ed, which has an entry for this particular weapon. Could you please update the weapon chart to reflect the addition of this weapon.

MrTetley

Mon 17 Oct 2022, 06:58

Thanks BytomMan,
Ok, that sounds like a reasonable option for the long-hafted axe. I particularly like this weapon due to its 1h/2h versatility and giving it the same damage profile as a broad sword makes complete sense. Though, I would still like to see it have its own entry in the printed version of the Lord of the Rings 5e edition.

TL-Whit

Mon 17 Oct 2022, 18:03

Just finished my first read through, and it looks great and I'm excited to play it! Here are a couple of things I noticed:
- There are callings that have gaining crafts as an option in their progression, but do not have craft slots. It is mentioned elsewhere that when craft slots are gained, a new craft is also gained. Should it be assumed in reverse, that if a character gains an optional craft (like a Messenger at lvl 2 or 6) they gain 1 craft slot as well?
- The Fellowship structure on page 110 refers to phase 3 as "Perform Updates" but the phase rules on page 111 calls it "Spiritual Recovery."
- On page 140, there is a stylized letter (H or T) and then "he" beginning the first sentence, but it should read "(M)iddle-earth" not "(T)he Middle-earth."

Michele

Tue 18 Oct 2022, 12:06

- There are callings that have gaining crafts as an option in their progression, but do not have craft slots. It is mentioned elsewhere that when craft slots are gained, a new craft is also gained. Should it be assumed in reverse, that if a character gains an optional craft (like a Messenger at lvl 2 or 6) they gain 1 craft slot as well?

The feature that lets you gain a Craft instead of a Virtue actually says that you also gain a craft slot. For example, under the Virtue feature of the Captain, it says: "At 2nd, 6th, and 10th level, instead of taking a virtue you can gain a craft slot and a craft of your choice from the Scholar’s Crafts list". So I guess that answers your question!

- The Fellowship structure on page 110 refers to phase 3 as "Perform Updates" but the phase rules on page 111 calls it "Spiritual Recovery."

Good catch! This is a carry-over from TOR, we'll replace it with "Spiritual Recovery" as you rightly noted.

- On page 140, there is a stylized letter (H or T) and then "he" beginning the first sentence, but it should read "(M)iddle-earth" not "(T)he Middle-earth."

Also a good catch! This is actually not a carry-over from TOR, where it's written correctly, so I'm puzzled as to how it ended up like that in LotR5e. Oh well, we'll take care of that! Thanks for the good work ;)
It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Inculta

Wed 19 Oct 2022, 06:00

I was surprised to see the class level cap at 10. This feels too low. I've spent most of my time in D&D campaigns in the level 11-15 range and I'm sure there are many who would like to run higher level adventures. Is it possible to have the classes expanded before it goes to print or get a supplement at a later date?
That's a pretty common houserule for lower-power games, stopping at level 10 or 11. AiME did something similar.

stphnchlmrs

Fri 21 Oct 2022, 21:23

First of all, congratulations to Fria Ligan on an excellent conversion of TOR 2E. Having said that, after reading the PDF a couple of times, I do have several things on my wish list for the upcoming print release.

I would really like to see advancement to level 20 like in every other 5E based system I've seen. I never thought AiME characters were overpowered due to the lack of spellcaster classes and the features, traits, and virtues not being as overpowered as what you typically encounter in D&D. I would also like to see future region guides and adventures set outside of Eriador (Wilderland, Rohan, Gondor, etc.). Playing low level characters around the Shire and Bree is fun, but it will get old pretty quick without the ability to expand into other areas over time. And as other comments have noted, there is no place for Fellowship Points or Shadow Points on the character sheet. An updated character sheet, including a fillable PDF version to go along with the PDF for the core rules, would definitely be nice.

The only other thing I'll add right now is that I hope a Moria campaign is in the works. I was really looking forward to the Moria boxed set that C7 announced but never published.

Stephen
Last edited by stphnchlmrs on Fri 21 Oct 2022, 21:47, edited 1 time in total.

stphnchlmrs

Fri 21 Oct 2022, 21:33

I was surprised to see the class level cap at 10. This feels too low. I've spent most of my time in D&D campaigns in the level 11-15 range and I'm sure there are many who would like to run higher level adventures. Is it possible to have the classes expanded before it goes to print or get a supplement at a later date?
That's a pretty common houserule for lower-power games, stopping at level 10 or 11. AiME did something similar.
If people want to houserule a level cap, that's great. The problem here is that there's no choice in the matter. AiME supported advancement to level 20, which I never felt was overpowered due to the lack of spellcaster classes and the features, traits, and virtues being considerably less overpowered than what you typically encounter in D&D.