Lormin

Re: The Lord of the Rings (5E) Early Access Feedback

Fri 21 Oct 2022, 21:38

Once calculated, the Company’s Fellowship score is recorded by all players on their character sheets, in the designated space. For every point of Fellowship spent, all Player-heroes must adjust the amount on their character sheet.
p. 16
Shadow points are kept track of by marking them in the appropriate box on the character sheet
p. 140

Both of these spaces do not exist on the character sheet.

Otaku-sempai

Tue 25 Oct 2022, 03:49

Neither the map of Eriador in the front nor the hex map in the back includes a scale.
#FideltyToTolkien

Graysworn

Tue 25 Oct 2022, 14:41

I've posted a few things on the Discord, but I'll also share them here!

1. Typo in the Gandalf patron section of the book, his legendary sword of Gondolin is now known as "w".

2. The random encounter tables on pages 201 (Ruins and Broken Stones, for the North Downs) and 204 (Troll-Holes, for the Trollshaws) of the core rules have the exact same description, even though they are for two different things.

"Characters exploring the North Downs will often stumble upon ruins and ancient testimonies of the war that destroyed this place. The Loremaster can roll on the following table to determine what they find."

3. This might just be an early-in-development thing, but I wasn't able to find the sample Magical Treasure Indexes on the freeleaguepublishing.com website, as mentioned on page 128. There is the form fillable PDF (https://freeleaguepublishing.com/wp-con ... llable.pdf) for the Magical Treasure Index available for download under TOR 2e, but not LOTR 5e.

4. In Shire Adventures, it mentions on page 58 that you would be able to play Balin as a pre-generated character. It also mentions on page 5 that there are eight pre-generated characters for use. However, I did not find Balin's character sheet in the back with the others, as it only lists the 7 hobbit PCs.

Zaknus

Wed 26 Oct 2022, 14:40

1. Could you specify if the natural 20 is always a Magical Success, or you NEED to have a skill or an item to get the Magical Success to occur. I've read through this rule few times and I'm not sure, so I'm guessing I will not be the only one. It is written that:
"Possessing a talent or artefact capable of unlocking a magical success on an ability check grants a Player-hero automatic success, regardless of the DC and ignoring conditions."
However, as a natural 20 already does that I'm not sure if nat 20 in this version of 5E rules no longer does that without items and skills giving you a Magical Success, or is the nat 20 also a Magicall Success.

2. Will there be a PDF version of the Loremaster screen and Rivendell compendium before the official release?

3. I was not able to find this information anywhere, so just in case, as a form of feedback, I will add that it would be nice to have the physical copies of the LotR 5E books on the same paper as the TOR 2E Collector's Edition. I'm not sure if the standard editions were as well.

4. The "Fellowship Phase Undertakings" contradict themselves a bit. It is written:
"This section lists the various activities available to the Company during a Fellowship Phase. Players select a different
number of undertakings, based on whether the Fellowship
Phase is an ordinary one, or if it’s Yule — the end of a year.
♦ During an ordinary Fellowship Phase, the Company as
a group chooses one single undertaking.
♦ During a Yule Fellowship Phase, each player chooses
one undertaking instead.
♦ Finally, during each Fellowship Phase (ordinary or
Yule), the Company is entitled to choose one additional undertaking, selecting it from among those that
are listed as free, based on the callings or proficiencies
of the Player-heroes.
To sum things up, during an ordinary Fellowship Phase the
Company will choose a maximum of two undertakings, and
a number of undertakings equal to the number of Player-heroes plus one during Yule. Players must always select different
undertakings, unless they are marked as Yule activities — such
endeavours can be chosen by any number of Player-heroes."

In the "To sum up..." section it is written that the player-heroes can take up to 2 undertakings (which is corroborated by point 1 nad 2), however it also is written "and a number of undertakings equal to the number of player-heroes" which is not corroborated by any one of the 3 points.

Michele

Wed 26 Oct 2022, 17:09

1. Could you specify if the natural 20 is always a Magical Success, or you NEED to have a skill or an item to get the Magical Success to occur. I've read through this rule few times and I'm not sure, so I'm guessing I will not be the only one. It is written that:
"Possessing a talent or artefact capable of unlocking a magical success on an ability check grants a Player-hero automatic success, regardless of the DC and ignoring conditions."
However, as a natural 20 already does that I'm not sure if nat 20 in this version of 5E rules no longer does that without items and skills giving you a Magical Success, or is the nat 20 also a Magicall Success.

If you read the rule carefully, it doesn't state that a magical success equals a natural 20, it only says that it is an automatic success. In fact, standard 5e rules never state that a natural 20 on an ability check is an automatic success: for example, according to the current 5e rules, if your bonus to the check is +5, a natural 20 will only let you succeed at an ability check with DC 25 or lower, but you will always fail at ability checks with DC 26 or higher.

A magical success, however, is different from a natural 20, because it lets you succeed even on a DC 30 check, regardless of your bonus to the check. In other words, if the Loremaster says that it isn't impossible, just very, VERY difficult, a magical success will nevertheless let you succeed, while a natural 20 will not. Your confusion probably comes from what is written later: "Whenever it is necessary to know the exact result of the roll, a Player-hero who achieves a magical success counts as having rolled a 20 on the d20." (emphasis added).

So, to answer your question: no, a natural 20 is never a magical success, not even if it has been scored by a character capable of achieving a magical success. Conversely, a magical success is not a natural 20, it only counts as a 20 when it is necessary to know the exact result of the roll (for example, when the total result yields a number that must be used in certain game mechanics - think about certain Crafts, for instance).

2. Will there be a PDF version of the Loremaster screen and Rivendell compendium before the official release?

Yes!

3. I was not able to find this information anywhere, so just in case, as a form of feedback, I will add that it would be nice to have the physical copies of the LotR 5E books on the same paper as the TOR 2E Collector's Edition. I'm not sure if the standard editions were as well.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to provide this information!

4. The "Fellowship Phase Undertakings" contradict themselves a bit. It is written:
"This section lists the various activities available to the Company during a Fellowship Phase. Players select a different number of undertakings, based on whether the Fellowship Phase is an ordinary one, or if it’s Yule — the end of a year.
♦ During an ordinary Fellowship Phase, the Company as a group chooses one single undertaking.
♦ During a Yule Fellowship Phase, each player chooses one undertaking instead.
♦ Finally, during each Fellowship Phase (ordinary or Yule), the Company is entitled to choose one additional undertaking, selecting it from among those that are listed as free, based on the callings or proficiencies of the Player-heroes.
To sum things up, during an ordinary Fellowship Phase the Company will choose a maximum of two undertakings, and a number of undertakings equal to the number of Player-heroes plus one during Yule. Players must always select different undertakings, unless they are marked as Yule activities — such endeavours can be chosen by any number of Player-heroes."

In the "To sum up..." section it is written that the player-heroes can take up to 2 undertakings (which is corroborated by point 1 nad 2), however it also is written "and a number of undertakings equal to the number of player-heroes" which is not corroborated by any one of the 3 points.

Well, the "To sum up..." section actually says "... and a number of undertakings equal to the number of Player-heroes plus one during Yule." (emphasis added), which makes it consistent with points 2 and 3.
It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Zaknus

Wed 26 Oct 2022, 17:54

If you read the rule carefully, it doesn't state that a magical success equals a natural 20, it only says that it is an automatic success. In fact, standard 5e rules never state that a natural 20 on an ability check is an automatic success: for example, according to the current 5e rules, if your bonus to the check is +5, a natural 20 will only let you succeed at an ability check with DC 25 or lower, but you will always fail at ability checks with DC 26 or higher.

A magical success, however, is different from a natural 20, because it lets you succeed even on a DC 30 check, regardless of your bonus to the check. In other words, if the Loremaster says that it isn't impossible, just very, VERY difficult, a magical success will nevertheless let you succeed, while a natural 20 will not. Your confusion probably comes from what is written later: "Whenever it is necessary to know the exact result of the roll, a Player-hero who achieves a magical success counts as having rolled a 20 on the d20." (emphasis added).

So, to answer your question: no, a natural 20 is never a magical success, not even if it has been scored by a character capable of achieving a magical success. Conversely, a magical success is not a natural 20, it only counts as a 20 when it is necessary to know the exact result of the roll (for example, when the total result yields a number that must be used in certain game mechanics - think about certain Crafts, for instance).

Yes!

Unfortunately, I'm not able to provide this information!

"This section lists the various activities available to the Company during a Fellowship Phase. Players select a different number of undertakings, based on whether the Fellowship Phase is an ordinary one, or if it’s Yule — the end of a year.
♦ During an ordinary Fellowship Phase, the Company as a group chooses one single undertaking.
♦ During a Yule Fellowship Phase, each player chooses one undertaking instead.
♦ Finally, during each Fellowship Phase (ordinary or Yule), the Company is entitled to choose one additional undertaking, selecting it from among those that are listed as free, based on the callings or proficiencies of the Player-heroes.
To sum things up, during an ordinary Fellowship Phase the Company will choose a maximum of two undertakings, and a number of undertakings equal to the number of Player-heroes plus one during Yule. Players must always select different undertakings, unless they are marked as Yule activities — such endeavours can be chosen by any number of Player-heroes."

Well, the "To sum up..." section actually says "... and a number of undertakings equal to the number of Player-heroes plus one during Yule." (emphasis added), which makes it consistent with points 2 and 3.
Ok, thank you for the explanation. Eagerly waiting for the Loremaster screen and Rivendell compendium PDFs

Elenath

Wed 02 Nov 2022, 03:48

If The Lord of the Rings (5e) follows the same release schedule as TOR 2E will there also be an early access feedback for the 5E version of Ruins of the Lost Realm?

Nauron

Fri 18 Nov 2022, 22:06

Hi all,

I am not certain about people having multiple journey roles. I would be happy to get some clarification. And perhaps this can even be more explicit in the final version of the rules. But first things first.

I am looking at the Warded Lands feature of the warden (page 61), which says I can do more than one role as a warden in my lands. Important here is no limit of roles is specified.
I am also looking at the assignment of journey roles (page 101). It says that with four or more people, roles can be executed by one or more players. Again, there is no limit specified how many players can execute one role. I assume infinite players. And it is also not specified that one player cannot do Hunter, Scout and Look-out at the same time once you hit the threshold of five or more players. Sure, he/she is taking the risk of poor performance by the -5 penalty, but he/she does not have to throw the dies but just offer assistance. He/she can offer advantage to all as per Resolve the Event (page 105).

So what I understand and what I want to conclude on is the following: As soon as you have five players at the table, one player can do hunter, scout, look-out and trivialize journey events to a certain extend by offering advantage to the already assigned player. And to put the cherry on the cake the warden can do this without any backdraw. He is a one-man-army in the warded lands and can do all the roles at the same time. Quite stressful, if you ask me. :)
So, I would like to re-confirm whether my understanding is correct or would gladly learn where I am wrong. I am looking forward to any response.

Cheers,
Nauron, a simple Warden migrating from AIME to LOTR RP

vilainn6

Tue 22 Nov 2022, 22:14

I am pretty sure 1 character cannot assume multiple roles unless he has a special talents and I am also pretty sure the designers didn't intent to have characters assuming multiple roles just to throw advantage at the main person doing the task.

Lormin

Sat 26 Nov 2022, 18:44

I think a player can do multiple roles only if there are less characters than roles (so a fellowship of 3 and less)