Tomas
Site Admin
Topic Author

The Lord of the Rings (5E) Early Access Feedback

Thu 29 Sep 2022, 14:51

Hi!

Please use this thread to post feedback and report any typos or errors in the Early Access PDF for The Lord of the Rings™ Roleplaying for 5E.
Remember – before reporting an error, please check and see if it already has been reported, and if so, don't report it again!
You get the Early Access PDF by pre-ordering in our webshop.

Thank you!
Fria Ligan

Otaku-sempai

Re: The Lord of the Rings (5E) Early Access Feedback

Thu 29 Sep 2022, 22:52

I'm a bit surprised that The Lord of the Rings Roleplaying has been given a sub-forum here instead of a dedicated forum of its own.
NOTE: I can't comment on the PDF at this time; I don't have it.
Last edited by Otaku-sempai on Fri 30 Sep 2022, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.
#FideltyToTolkien

Fenhorn

Thu 29 Sep 2022, 23:06

Moderator Message: Please keep this thread to feedback, typos and error about this book, not about forum structure. Thanks.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

vilainn6

Fri 30 Sep 2022, 15:14

On the character sheet at the end of the book, the Medecine skill is linked to WIS while the book mention it should be linked to INT

ravegrunt

Fri 30 Sep 2022, 23:05

The book gives Cultural Traits and ability modifiers tied to those cultures, but the latest 5E releases have aggressively stepped away from that model, instead making ability scores choices you can make. With 5E going away from this, have you considered stealing that idea for ability scores?

Francesco

Sat 01 Oct 2022, 07:49

The book gives Cultural Traits and ability modifiers tied to those cultures, but the latest 5E releases have aggressively stepped away from that model, instead making ability scores choices you can make. With 5E going away from this, have you considered stealing that idea for ability scores?
Yes we did consider that, but we felt that renouncing to apply cultural modifiers wasn’t a good fit for Middle-earth and for modelling what we did with The One Ring.

Crnester

Sat 01 Oct 2022, 19:14

I was surprised to see the class level cap at 10. This feels too low. I've spent most of my time in D&D campaigns in the level 11-15 range and I'm sure there are many who would like to run higher level adventures. Is it possible to have the classes expanded before it goes to print or get a supplement at a later date?

Otaku-sempai

Sun 02 Oct 2022, 03:21

I was surprised to see the class level cap at 10. This feels too low. I've spent most of my time in D&D campaigns in the level 11-15 range and I'm sure there are many who would like to run higher level adventures. Is it possible to have the classes expanded before it goes to print or get a supplement at a later date?
My guess is that this will be addressed in a supplement.
#FideltyToTolkien

Phen

Sun 02 Oct 2022, 03:39

Riddle Skill Feedback

Let's compare those skills in two games.

The Lord of the Rings 5e
The riddle game is an accepted custom among many creatures, including quite a few that would be classified as wicked if they did not respect the ancient rules. An Intelligence (Riddle) check is used to solve a spoken or written riddle, but also to draw conclusions from seemingly unconnected scraps of information by deduction, reasoning, and intuition.

The One Ring 2e
Owing its name to the ancient game, the Riddle Skill represents the ability to draw conclusions from seemingly unconnected scraps of information by deduction, reasoning, and intuition. Adventurers also rely on Riddle whenever they are forced to talk about a subject but prefer to conceal part of what they know; for example, to tell something about themselves without revealing their identity.

As an accepted custom among many cultures, speaking in riddles is usually allowed among strangers meeting for the first time and wanting to speak guardedly. This Skill is also used to gain helpful insight from a spoken or written riddle.

First issue, LOTR5e version of this skill let you solve a spoken or written riddle which is absolutely ridiculous. It lets players bruteforce any riddle with a simple die roll, removing any challenge and fun. TOR2e skill only allows getting helpful insight without riddle auto-solving.

Second issue, LOTR5e Riddle skill does not even mention "speaking in riddles" part of this custom that allows characters use cypher / secret tongue to conceal something.

I would like LOTR5e Riddle skill to be adjusted to be closer to TOR2e version which is more flavorful and mechanically balanced.

vilainn6

Sun 02 Oct 2022, 12:59

Considering they wrote a page about giving small boons once pass Level 10, IT seems a design décision made on purpose and unlikely to change. Maybe if many people send email to complain