Andwise
Topic Author

Help for a character with 18 strength TN

Sun 25 Sep 2022, 05:41

So a hobbit in our group just can't hit anything with her bow. She isn't really going for a combat heavy character but still needs it sometimes. With combat proficiency of 2 and TN of 18 that is pretty rare and the bow doesn't do much damage anyway! She already got the cultural virtue that makes all bow shots favored but I am trying to design some treasure (a weapon or something) that would help her actually hit. Maybe a bow that adds +2 to her bow rolls, essentially making the TN 16 instead, but only for bows. Or a collar that does the same. Or if i helped with SCAN (+2d) then she could take the time to do the aim action and have more dice when shooting? Those are some ideas.
Thanks.

Harlath

Re: Help for a character with 18 strength TN

Sun 25 Sep 2022, 07:41

- With a low strength she has Heart of 7 or 6, which means plenty of hope to spend on attacks as she recovers so much hope per adventure. Means c58% chance to hit TN 18, or 49% if the opponent has parry +1.
- Use Enhearten and Rally comrades. She’s need to have invested a little in Enhearten as it starts at 0 for hobbits. But high heart at least means a low TN. Even 1D or 2d plus 2d from inspired hope spending (if a distinctive feature fits here) should make a big difference.
- Use Battle to gain 1D for a round (or the whole combat with a 6). Again, high Heart means a low TN.
- Use prepare shot as you noted already.
- Your idea of a reward that helps attack rolls is a good one. So good that it is in the book already: check out Archet Hunting Bow on p188. Although I’d still spend hope as 2d v TN15 is still tough, while 3d v TN15 gives good odds.

baldrick0712

Sun 25 Sep 2022, 08:15

Re. Battle rolls, I don't see anything in the rules on how to obtain "Greater advantage - Gain (2d)". How well you roll seems to only affect the duration of the advantage (ordinary success: next attack; superior success: remainder of battle).

You could be kind and give the Hobbit +(1d) by default if the target is in the open (Moderate Advantage: Gain (1d): Available cover is scarce).
You could also use "Straight Flight" weapon enchantment reward to ignore complications due to cover, darkness, etc.

Andwise
Topic Author

Sun 25 Sep 2022, 21:07

Thanks Harlath and Baldrick, both of those replies are very helpful.

Harlath

Sun 25 Sep 2022, 21:42

Re. Battle rolls, I don't see anything in the rules on how to obtain "Greater advantage - Gain (2d)". How well you roll seems to only affect the duration of the advantage (ordinary success: next attack; superior success: remainder of battle).
The table on p102 is helpful in determining when a Greater Advantage is available. This could be unlocked by narrative circumstances, a battle roll or "other actions" from p98. I think these rules give a solid framework but then encourage creativity within that.