leonpoi

Re: I'm considering making Personal Medkits last longer.

Tue 20 Sep 2022, 07:40

I wouldn’t worry too much about it being overpowered - they just give +1 to Medical Aid rolls don’t they?

I would think that whether the kit is used up is more a function of the wound, but what would I know ; I actually like the simple 50:50 chance it’s used idea - no tracking required and nice and easy.

You could e.g. say that 2 additional successes can be used to not use the kit - your choice (i.e. instead of adding +2 successes to healing you can instead take them as not using the kit)

Just my thoughts !

Oddball_E8
Topic Author

Tue 20 Sep 2022, 10:36

You could e.g. say that 2 additional successes can be used to not use the kit - your choice (i.e. instead of adding +2 successes to healing you can instead take them as not using the kit)

Just my thoughts !
That's actually the one I'm leaning towards since having +2 successes is kinda rare and that approximates the fact that the medkit is useful for one or two uses and not more. And it also makes the skill of the user more important.

leonpoi

Wed 21 Sep 2022, 06:09

My thinking is there anything that gives the player a choice, might be fun.

If someone rolls two successes, do they want to keep the medical kit, or increase the healing result by two? Their choice, but they cannot have their cake and eat it too.

FatherJ_ct

Wed 21 Sep 2022, 08:37

Easy homebrew rule off top of my head would be a #of uses. Say Basic civilian medkit is 1-5 whereas combat medkit is 15..or same for large prepper style backpack size medkit. Damage of wound is # of uses needed. Only the combat and doc kits have the drugs for nerve/blister agent gas treating.

In looking online...i found a triage/flowcart that GMs might want to take a look at for giving medics a bit more description on what they need to do/are doing:
https://emsa.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/ ... e_2017.pdf

And this link gets into some details of all the issues going into emergency care. https://www.airmedandrescue.com/latest/ ... hot-wounds

I think it is safe to say that the one use per kit is a simple mechanic to prevent the game getting bogged down in the myraid of tools/supplies needed for the variety of wounds.

You can see the variety of items carried in the different kits. So does the kit have enough materials/tools? Your car roadside emergency/home kit is meant to help a knee scape...not a sucking chest wound.

It would be nice to have a bit more detailed medic/doc/emergency responder and remedies found in nature sort of module/supplement for those that want to have a richer medical part of the game.

Is there one from another system? I cant think of one offhand.

Oddball_E8
Topic Author

Thu 22 Sep 2022, 07:33

My thinking is there anything that gives the player a choice, might be fun.

If someone rolls two successes, do they want to keep the medical kit, or increase the healing result by two? Their choice, but they cannot have their cake and eat it too.
Exactly my thinking :)

Higgipedia

Tue 18 Oct 2022, 15:45

Keep in mind that the IFAK as we know it now is a post-9/11 innovation and most individual Cold War soldiers were only issued a pressure dressing and maybe a Combat Lifesaver bag in the squad which is basically an IFAK with a splint and a bag of saline. While a hot war would have, no doubt, sped up some inventions, the collapse of the world economy after the nukes would have made the widespread fielding of it difficult.
DENNIS HIGGINS
Check out the Black Sheep War Journal in the Free League Workshop!