Snorri Gygax
Topic Author

Chariot of the Gods - Wilson as a synthetic

Thu 08 Sep 2022, 13:55

As per the topic. I run the cinematic adventure CotG with several groups years ago and will do again soon with two more groups. However, one player will repeat the experience. He claims he doesn't remember a thing, honest. But we both know that once the game starts, memories could —and will— arise. So I've come up with this idea of handling him the most knowledgeable character of them all and, to be sure and guarantee the levels of paranoia, make him also the synthetic Lucas. The thing is, since Wilson is the least appropiate character to be Lucas, by far, I have some doubts on how to put it all together. He is obviously fooling not only the characters, but the entire company. Any ideas on what his strategy could be to pretend being what he is not to the end? Thanks.

ExileInParadise

Re: Chariot of the Gods - Wilson as a synthetic

Thu 08 Sep 2022, 14:45

He could be a synthetic planted by one small faction within the company ... so that he's not fooling the entire company, just the majority?
We live, as we dream -- alone. ~ Joseph Conrad

Snorri Gygax
Topic Author

Thu 08 Sep 2022, 18:07

Well, that opens interesting options indeed! Factions within W-Y with diverse interests. Nonetheless, I was thinking more of the actions of the character, so the players get to think he is the average hateful company agent, like Clayton, while trying to fullfil Lucas' mission.

ripley

Thu 15 Sep 2022, 10:31

It's been tried before; in this play through of Chariot of the Gods Wilson was eventually revealed to be Lucas. You can assess for yourself how well it worked, but I found it nonsensical.

It also placed a lot of the heavy lifting on one player, and eliminated the significant source of narrative tension between Wilson and Lucas.

That being said, the overall style of this particular play through was not to my taste so perhaps that influenced my negative response to the reveal.

If you do try Wilson as Lucas post a recap here so we can see how it went!

Snorri Gygax
Topic Author

Fri 16 Sep 2022, 11:19

Yeah, those are precisely my fears. However, the problem persists, having a player that will likely be more informed than the rest, so... I'll tentatively run this "special" scenario tonight, so yes, I'll try to recap it sometime afterwards.

_ArthurDallas_

Wed 28 Sep 2022, 16:13

It's simple Snorri ...

You can say to the Wilson Character-player that he's Lucas and working for Bionational and the goal is to stop WY from getting their hands on xenomorphic materials at any cost. The reason is simple, Wilson had a little sister (or brother, or father) who was living on LV426 (Hadley's Hope). She died there. WY will pay for all the pain they caused ... I was just thinking that they are synthetics, you can say that Wilson had worked with a synthetic (maybe Holroyd) who died there and he is very sentimental about it ... WY is going to pay for all the pain they caused ...

Lappydore486

Mon 16 Oct 2023, 05:32

I hate to necro a thread, but when I ran my first playthrough of Chariot my Wilson was also Lucas and I found it to be massively entertaining, if anything it enhanced the experience for the player since they were a TTRPG newbie in general, so they had options for how to play their character throughout the scenario (and of course could always take me aside if they had any questions about how to proceed). It's definitely a case of mileage varying by group - Wilson/Lucas' player was the last to arrive and we had already started in on the opening to Act I, during which the other PCs mocked and belittled the character mercilessly - WIlson/Lucas' player didn't arrive until the party was attempting to figure out how to dock with the Cronus; this set the groundwork for Wilson's agendas to come into play throughout and get the rest of the team to cooperate with Wilson. Regarding Lucas' agenda, ironically, the other PCs basically did Wilson/Lucas' job for them the entire scenario without having to be asked (savvy players are both a blessing and a curse); with the exception of a few moments where Lucas was acting as Wilson in order to keep the other PCs from potentially sniffing him out, he didn't have to kill or coerce any of the other PCs and everyone ultimately survived to get fired from W-Y and offered jobs at Bionational!