To master her and pull her under
But the Ship has a secret
For unlike the Stone
Her gaze is not downward but up
Fixed upon the light that guides Her
Whispering of grander things
than darkness ever knew

Rings of power.
(The Beauty of the Elven Lore and poetry)
Last edited by _ArthurDallas_ on Thu 08 Sep 2022, 17:23, edited 1 time in total.

Otaku-sempai

Re: Ship and the Stone

Thu 08 Sep 2022, 03:09

Bit of a tortured metaphor but they're trying.
#FideltyToTolkien

_ArthurDallas_
Topic Author

Thu 08 Sep 2022, 03:34

I'm not ready to throw stones at them. if you go read the history of the 2nd age it is very interesting what is coming after that. I can't wait to see how Sauron will fool them all. It's official that the stranger is gandalf. it is not supposed to arrive in the 2nd age but it is nevertheless very interesting.

_ArthurDallas_
Topic Author

Thu 08 Sep 2022, 04:33

Olórin, like the other Wizards, took the shape of an old man. He was robed in grey and wandered about as a counsellor. At Mithlond he was welcomed by Glorfindel, his friend from Valinor (who had been sent earlier on a similar mission), and Círdan the shipwright who possessed Narya, one of the Three Elven Rings of Power. Círdan divined in Olórin a sense of strength and power despite his appearance as a bent and aged man. Círdan gave Narya to Olórin with a prediction of his future struggles with evil, and a promise that it would support and aid him in his labours.

He then began his sojourn in Middle-earth and during many years, he walked among the Elves as a stranger, learning from them and teaching them. Unlike Saruman, Olórin did not take up a single permanent residence and never went to the east, apparently restricting his activities to the Westlands of Middle-earth, where the remnants of the Dúnedain and the Eldar remained to oppose Sauron. He was known by many names during the long years he wandered: Elves named him Mithrandir, the "Grey Pilgrim", while the men of Arnor named him Gandalf, which became his most common name. He was also known as Incánus (in the south), and Tharkûn to the Dwarves.He later revealed himself as one of the Istari, and eventually became known as not only the wisest but also the most powerful individual in that order.
Last edited by _ArthurDallas_ on Wed 14 Sep 2022, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.

baldrick0712

Thu 08 Sep 2022, 14:59

This thread is probably dangerous territory and might get locked but some of the writing really is appalling. Galadriel diving off the boat hundreds of miles from shore for instance.

Otaku-sempai

Thu 08 Sep 2022, 15:54

I'm not ready to throw stones at them. if you go read the history of the 2nd age it is very interesting what is coming after that. I can't wait to see how Sauron will fool them all. It's official that the stranger is gandalf. it is not supposed to arrive in the 2nd age but it is nevertheless very interesting.
No, it is not official that the Stranger is Gandalf. There are hints that this may be so, but they could be red herrings.
#FideltyToTolkien

_ArthurDallas_
Topic Author

Thu 08 Sep 2022, 16:19

You may be right Otaku-sempai. Maybe it's a mislead. Maybe another wizard good or bad. I think he's gonna be on the good side. There is no danger with this post, we're talking about the "lore" + "The Beauty of Elven Lore and Poetry" of The One Ring Universe (not the show itself). And we are all old wise member of this community.

Andwise

Thu 08 Sep 2022, 19:50

Bit of a tortured metaphor but they're trying.
I like the hashtag.

Andwise

Thu 08 Sep 2022, 19:53

This thread is probably dangerous territory and might get locked but some of the writing really is appalling. Galadriel diving off the boat hundreds of miles from shore for instance.
agreed.

Fenhorn

Thu 08 Sep 2022, 20:28

Moderator Message: This forum is for the game, The One Ring. Sure movies and TV-shows can be a good source for inspiration and can result in good discussions. I have also removed several posts in this thread that has nothing to do with this topic.

Please be respectful and show dignity when posting in this forum.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore