RichKarp

Re: TNs for starting character

Mon 19 Jul 2021, 15:46

I think I’ve misunderstood just how high the TNs are in relation to Attributes - the TN 20 to hit in combat is a function of a low Body combined with position/parry?

I stand by the “scrounging for dice” comment though. The way things work now, the dice pool is deliberately expandable via Hope, via Useful Items, and I think you all are right that the game is encouraging players to interact that way with every roll. This isn’t a radical departure from 1e where you could assist others by granting them d6s from successful rolls or other creative forms of aid, but it does seem slightly out of control now.

This is a feature I’d expect to see on big important rolls, but because TNs are a little higher on average now, I suspect we will see it chronically and I am not sure it’s a good thing. After all, the whole point of many of these changes was to speed and streamline the game - not prompt players to exercise their creativity in finding ways to generate bonuses for themselves constantly. That’s not roleplaying - it’s meta-gaming the rules. A player who is puffing away on their pipe in every single scene to gain its +1d6 is not doing a fabulous job playing their character. But I think this may be a stylistic difference best tabled for now.
I really don't understand where you draw such conclusions from. How is that supposed to happen? A steeper learning curve doesn't mean that characters can't become very proficient in many different fields sooner or later during their adventuring career. They can take Prowess and Mastery, they can invest Skill points, they can do a lot of things. You want to play a jack of all trades? Choose the 5 5 4 Attribute distribution. You want to play a very specialized character? Choose the 7 5 2 Attribute distribution. Something in-between? Choose the Attribute distribution best suited to your needs. They're not such strange concepts (to me, at least!), but you make them sound like they've ruined the game for some reason that I still fail to figure out.
I am deliberately overstating the issue, and I think you’re right to emphasize that a slightly higher TN does NOT cripple a character forever. Skill ratings may not be purely apples-to-apples anymore, but the average of +1d6 is better than the straight Attribute value when determining TN.

If I can unpack a bit what I’m trying to say: because some characters will have a higher variance between their Attributes, certain character builds will be less viable than others. On the face of it, no problem: simply don’t min/max the character when selecting stat packages. However, I think what it reveals is that there is a weakness in the division of the skill sets whereby characters who SHOULD be excellent at cross-cutting skills as a result of their primary profession and role in the world, will be at a disadvantage which is entirely the result of that artificial / arbitrary Skill clustering.

Lots of characters we see explicitly in Middle-earth should have excellent skills across multiple Attributes. Again, not “good at ALL” the Skills, but good at cross-cutting skills. Those characters will be harder to build - a balanced Attribute approach still leaves them mediocre (high TN) across all of their specialized “focus” areas; areas they should shine in, not be average at.

If you have made a Rohirrim scholar whose primary role is as a traveling minstrel, your focus areas were Travel, Song, and Riddle. That’s now going to be a tougher character to play in practice and still be good at all three of the things core to the concept because the TN of those main things will be higher than they were before, assuming a balanced Attribute build. Not impossible, but it certainly isn’t optimized under the way the system works now. That leads me to the conclusion that the system is a little less flexible than before.

Nothing I’ve said should imply that Merry and Pippin deserved to be in equal footing with the warriors in battle. (Although as a game, there needs to be closer parity than the reality of the books simply because players will not find it fun to never contribute to battles). What I mean is that by establishing Attributes as more significant than they were before, the game begins to run slightly counter to the theme of its own source material that the importance of individuals derives from their prowess.

Now again, in practice that is a hard argument to make. Obviously the physical strength of warriors and the skill of the riders, the wits of the wizards and the burglars all matter. But specifically, if we were to increase the role of Attributes in accordance with what Tolkien writes about as being important, Heart would be an exalted stat and the others would be less so.

This is a game, it needs balance, but I did prefer it when who you are (Attributes) were less significant in determining what you are (your Skills: professions or areas of strength). It’s not to say you can’t or shouldn’t play a highly specialized Lore character- actually, that’s a lot easier to do in the new rules, but you would likely pay a price in another Attribute area. I have no problem with that, it’s a choice. But for those whose concept by nature were divided between skill areas, they are now “like butter spread over too much bread.” One can only be a Jack of all trades, master of none - not a master of quiet arts which span the arbitrary division between skill areas.

I hope that somewhat explains my chagrin. It’s not that the game is ruined, but that certain characters previously perfectly viable are less capable now, at a loss of some richness to the setting.

Themadviolinist

Mon 19 Jul 2021, 16:32

I'll do a full write-up of our session last night, but for the purposes of this discussion:
WE have three characters, a hobbit messenger with a 7/5/2 build, a dwarf captain with a 6/4/4 build and a ranger scholar with a 5/4/4 build, which he chose specifically because he didn't want a weak wits stat, and then added 1 to wits with the kings of men cultural blessing to be all 5's. The ranger and the dwarf captain both chose mastery as their initial virtue, giving them five favored skills total, and our wee little heart of the fellowship chose prowess, to make her heart TN 12, probably not a good meta-game choice, but on brand for the character she wanted to play.
IN our session, we had a journey and a council, neither particularly harrowing, as they were doing things in the Shire, but everybody got to roll, and everyone succeeded on rolls, except for one songs roll from the hobbit, whose useful item instrument didn't save her performance. They made liberal use of the helping rule, never spent any hope, but did concentrate on using favored skills.
I think the impact of favored skills may be underestimated. While we never had any GAndalfs, we did have an Eye that got ignored, and on a number of occasions, the better feat die result made the difference, even on a 1-die favored skill roll from the dwarf using lore in the enhearten in the council.
We didn't get to combat, that's for next time. My preliminary conclusion is that the game ran quite smoothly, and that the players got lots of success even as starting characters. OUr ranger scholar is one of the cross-cutting types we're talking about in this thread. The player's judicious use of mastery and favored skills appears to have made this build quite viable. (A 15 TN really isn't as hard to hit as you might think.)
More thoughts as we play more.

Davi

Mon 19 Jul 2021, 16:53

I just wanted to add some statics of success:

TN16:
0d6: 8,4%
1d6: 8,4%
2d6: 21,3%
3d6: 46,4%
4d6: 72,1%
5d6: 89,1%

TN16 Favored:
0d6: 16,0%
1d6: 16,0%
2d6: 35,9%
3d6: 65,7%
4d6: 86,5%
5d6: 95,9%

TN18:
1d6: 8,4%
2d6: 12,9%
3d6: 31,8%
4d6: 57,8%
5d6: 79,9%

TN18 Favored:
1d6: 16,0%
2d6: 23,5%
3d6: 49,2%
4d6: 75,4%
5d6: 90,1%

TN14:
1d6: 12,6%
2d6: 34,2%
3d6: 61,8%
4d6: 83,8%
5d6: 95,1%

TN14 Favored:
1d6: 23,0%
2d6: 53,3%
3d6: 80,0%
4d6: 93,7%
5d6: 98,4%

If you are rolling only 2 dice you should be missing a lot, around 2/3 to 4/5 f your rolls, which is quite difficult, the good news is: by increasing it to 3 dice (with fun roleplaying, not boring metagame) your chances increases significantly to around 50%. so, palyers should be really looking to roll at least 3 dice. If you are rolling 4 dice, you should be well in the safe side, unless you are against an enemy with high parry, in which case you should be hitting 50% of the time against TN 20. (43% not favored, 61% favored).

LLBlumire

Mon 19 Jul 2021, 20:43

Spending hope to get to 3 dice on your starter character to still miss 50% of the time feels very not nice

Michele

Mon 19 Jul 2021, 21:05

Spending hope to get to 3 dice on your starter character to still miss 50% of the time feels very not nice

Yes, but what did you expect from rolling a Skill with only 1 rank? If I'm a total novice but by spending Hope I could accomplish what a much more experienced character can do, than what's the point of getting better at things and not simply stacking as much Hope as possible?
It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

LLBlumire

Mon 19 Jul 2021, 21:11

Yes, but what did you expect from rolling a Skill with only 1 rank? If I'm a total novice but by spending Hope I could accomplish what a much more experienced character can do, than what's the point of getting better at things and not simply stacking as much Hope as possible?
In combat thats most new player weapon skills (2 on average). This whole thread is about the starting character experience, and feeling like you can't pass most of the skills you have due to a high TN really doesn't feel great at the table. In the playtest I did my players just found it kind of depressing and like, though they had options out of combat, in combat they were basically useless. They generally had betters or equal wits as strength, and the enemies were also missing them constantly too.

RichKarp

Mon 19 Jul 2021, 22:03

So about that, in the online chat just now Francesco essentially said that TN 20 - Attribute is specifically to ensure challenge over a long campaign. For a one shot or shorter campaigns, adjusting to TN 18 - AL seems totally appropriate. I might even go so far as to start basic TNs lower and gradually raise them twice or three times over the course of a campaign, as everything gets harder and the Shadow lengthens.

baldrick0712

Mon 19 Jul 2021, 22:08

I also liked the part of the Livestream when Francesco said some rolls should not even be attempted. The Player-heroes live and die as a team, the fellowship of their very own saga, not a collection of individuals who all have to be good at everything.

Mattcapiche
Topic Author

Mon 19 Jul 2021, 22:13

The difference here to other systems is that climbing over the garden wall and scaling the black gate will be the exact same target number. Francesco has said that the number is balanced for campaign play, which is fine, but in almost any other game, as you get better at something you take on more difficult challenges. In this case, the system is expecting a session one character to take on a task that has the same difficulty as a character who has been played for 2 years. 90% of players won’t play for the 2 years, so it seems pretty mislead design to balance the game in its entirety to that small minority.

Also, your character with 3 skill pips can spend hope as well, getting them to 5. That’s the point in getting better at something rather than relying on hope/luck. It’s also possible for 5 dice to fail where a single feat die will pass, so if you can’t handle the possibility of a less experienced character showing a veteran up, I’m not sure ttrpgs in general should be your thing?

Asgo

Mon 19 Jul 2021, 22:31

I also liked the part of the Livestream when Francesco said some rolls should not even be attempted. The Player-heroes live and die as a team, the fellowship of their very own saga, not a collection of individuals who all have to be good at everything.
I would generally agree with that and it should work for most occasions. There are just two wrinkles:
- one to have a player actually not choose to do something because his success probability it too bad, it has to be really bad, because - let's be honest - most players will try their luck with probabilities way below what they would do so in real life. Nothing wrong with that as the heroes get a bit of larger than life status and failing hard is way more entertaining in game than in RL.
- in combat choosing not to fight because it isn't likely to help your case isn't really an option. There are too few action alternatives to not doing active melee or ranged combat, at least for fights that take longer than 1-2 rounds.
The first is not so much of a problem, just something to be aware of - and following the thread - is already achieved. :)
The second could be improved by adding more standard choices based on the other two skills, beyond any on fly decisions on actions asked for and allowed by your LM. No need to fiddle with the numbers in general.

That said, modifying the global TN seems like a good way to scale the overall game challenge to your groups needs or their interest in longer games.