Otaku-sempai

Re: Which future publications are you most looking forward to/hoping for?

Thu 30 Jul 2020, 02:30

So here's what I've been thinking about. Ideal if FL did something like this, but maybe it has to be a fan product.

I want a campaign (chain of 8+ adventures) set in Eriador, designed for younger players (8+). By which I mean:
- Nothing really dark. (I.e., no finding slaughtered bodies, no moral quandaries which leave no good solutions, etc.)
- Easy breadcrumb trail to follow, both within adventures and connecting the adventures. (Tales from Wilderland, for example, has several places where younger players might not put the pieces of the puzzle together.)
- Lots of obvious tie-ins with both Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.

I think I mentioned this elsewhere, but I've got a kid who knows the Hobbit well, and has had a little bit of exposure to RPGs, which he loves. I think it would be so great to get some of his friends who know the Hobbit but before they've read (or...I hate to say it...seen) Lord of the Rings and do some adventuring in MIddle-Earth. Then, when they finally do get to the Lord of the Rings it will be one WTF?!?! moment after another. I especially look forward to, "Wait...Strider...our Strider...is really THE KING!?!?!?!"
I've written one adventure for the Shire that would fit your description; it is set around Lake Nenuial and involves a search for some missing Hobbit youths on a fishing trip. It could probably even be modified to feature the youths themselves. I submitted it to Doug Joos for his Hall of Fire webzine, but there hasn't been a new issue in months.
#FideltyToTolkien

Ghorin

Fri 31 Jul 2020, 08:33

I'd like that in 2nd edition, the adversaries have a full description in one place (bestiary ? core rules book ?) so that when we have a combat we don't need to look at different pages for description, special abilities description and weapons description.
I would even love some cards, like I did myself in this home made printable cards : http://ostolinde.free.fr/anneau_unique/ ... tiaire.pdf) (sorry it's in french : compétences = skills, compétences d'armes = weapon skills, capacités spéciales = special abilities)

coniunctio

Fri 31 Jul 2020, 10:01

I'd like that in 2nd edition, the adversaries have a full description in one place (bestiary ? core rules book ?) so that when we have a combat we don't need to look at different pages for description, special abilities description and weapons description.
I would even love some cards, like I did myself in this home made printable cards : http://ostolinde.free.fr/anneau_unique/ ... tiaire.pdf) (sorry it's in french : compétences = skills, compétences d'armes = weapon skills, capacités spéciales = special abilities)
I also pitched for the idea of a bestiary with separate cards for monsters, beasts and NPCs. Seeing your excellently made cards would make me buy such a product in an instant! Exactly what I had in mind. Practical too... no thumbing through pages and wearing out the books. Lovely work.

gyrovague

Sat 01 Aug 2020, 04:43

I just saw this news over at Enworld:
https://www.enworld.org/threads/midnight-legacy-of-darkness-announced-at-gencon-online.673654/

The poster described this 3e campaign using the analogue of "what if Sauron won."

But...what if Sauron won?

What if the ring were hidden, or re-lost, or otherwise neither destroyed nor recovered by Sauron, and Sauron crushed Gondor (and friends) at the end of the 3rd Age?

That would be a fun campaign, I think.

Otaku-sempai

Sat 01 Aug 2020, 14:16

I just saw this news over at Enworld:
https://www.enworld.org/threads/midnight-legacy-of-darkness-announced-at-gencon-online.673654/

The poster described this 3e campaign using the analogue of "what if Sauron won."

What if the ring were hidden, or re-lost, or otherwise neither destroyed nor recovered by Sauron, and Sauron crushed Gondor (and friends) at the end of the 3rd Age?

It could be an interesting campaign. However, I think that is something for an individual Loremaster to develop. I wouldn't expect FL to actively support the idea.
#FideltyToTolkien

Tolwen

Sat 01 Aug 2020, 17:44

Other Minds, Issue 9 might then be of interest for you. There is an article about such a scenario ("The Age of Sauron"). Overall, the Issue is 4th Age themed with other articles built around the traditional history.

Best
Tolwen
Visit Other Minds Magazine - an international magazine for role-playing in Middle-earth.

Other Minds also on Facebook!

gyrovague

Sat 01 Aug 2020, 19:16

I wouldn't expect FL to actively support the idea.
No, I wouldn't expect them to, either. It would shock me if they did.

But I would much rather buy something that was the product of all those creative minds (and had gorgeous art) than develop it by myself.

Plus it would sell a gazillion copies. I suspect (supported by some anecdotal evidence) that there are a lot of gamers who aren't interested in playing in 3rd Age Middle-earth because 'that story has already been written' but who would flock to a dark and scary 4th age.

Mythicos

Sat 01 Aug 2020, 22:04

I wouldn't expect FL to actively support the idea.
No, I wouldn't expect them to, either. It would shock me if they did.

But I would much rather buy something that was the product of all those creative minds (and had gorgeous art) than develop it by myself.

Plus it would sell a gazillion copies. I suspect (supported by some anecdotal evidence) that there are a lot of gamers who aren't interested in playing in 3rd Age Middle-earth because 'that story has already been written' but who would flock to a dark and scary 4th age.
Before Christopher Tolkien's demise, I am sure that such a departure from the Legendarium would never have been approved.

Now that we live in a world where they develop a 2nd Age series for Amazon? Who knows...

Hobilar

Mon 17 Aug 2020, 22:42

I would like to see a set of large maps.

I still use my MERP product maps when I game in Middle Earth, regardless of system. I would like to see a box set or perhaps folders we can buy with table or poster sized maps inside that I can display on my wall or use as a table top discussion pieces with players.

Farinal

Tue 18 Aug 2020, 14:25

- A Shire book that involves small mundane quests for a party of all young Hobbits.
- An adventure that involves LONG distances of travel for the party to finally reach their destination in an epic climax. Like LOTR.
- A Lothlorien sourcebook.