Daïna

Re: Vaesen Questions

Tue 03 Dec 2019, 15:28

You busted me Deep_Impact, I never played either game.  :lol: But I did read very thoroughly the Year Zero system. 
What I don’t know is: will the characters be “employees” of the Society? Or is it just like a “club” for those who have the Sight?

Like Byrax, I’d like to see a “wealthy person” archetype that could maybe add to the influence/charisma of the character when interacting with other humans. In a RP way it’s easy. But how would that translate in game mechanics?

Fenhorn

Tue 03 Dec 2019, 15:39

Regarding wealth I hope they use a version of the money rules from their Swedish game "Brimstone Winter" (Swe: Svavelvinter). In that game you have income levels and items have price levels. Easy to see what you can afford or not. When I played that, it was such a relieve to not have to count specific coins.

When it comes to the archetypes, well they are archetypes, not specific occupations. If they go with how they have done pretty much all their games, each archetype will have some key skills that they can start the game better at and a talent (specific from their archetype selection). This can define the character a lot, especially the talent, depending how it is done.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Deep_Impact
Topic Author

Tue 03 Dec 2019, 15:51

Like Byrax, I’d like to see a “wealthy person” archetype that could maybe add to the influence/charisma of the character when interacting with other humans. In a RP way it’s easy. But how would that translate in game mechanics?
That´s just someone the the key skill CONTACT or CHARM (or simular).

Let´s speak in TftL terms (I will regret that, when the final games comes... :D ):
Your character has HEART 5 + CHARM 3 = 8 dice.

Even without any help, leverage, iconic item or so, this would give you a chance of 77% of convicing someone. And you only roll if something bad happens if you fail. If you push yourself by taking a condition you have a chance of 93%.

If you have more than one success - called a stunt - you could choose one of following effects:
» She keeps believing you.
» You have formed a lasting relationship.
» She will take risks to help you.
» She will try to persuade others to believe you.
» She’s frightened, confused or impressed.
» She’s infatuated.

Sounds like the thing you wanted, even without any rulings. Or did I missunderstand you?

Daïna

Tue 03 Dec 2019, 15:59

You understand correctly.  :D Thanks for the example, it helps. Even if it turns out not being like that in the final version of the game.  ;)

I like the wealth system Fenhorn describes. It’s really nice not having to count money while having your social status still taken into consideration. 

Byrax

Tue 03 Dec 2019, 16:28

The Svavelvinter wealth system is great. It was my first of Fria Ligan's rpg systems (gm), and I have since also gm:ed MYZ and own TftL, Forbidden Lands and Alien. Really like the system.

I also really like that Vaesen seems to be closer to TftL than MYZ in complexity. Focus on story, but enough rules to not be free-form and with consequences for pushing yourself. Will probably try Vaesen-system for Cthulhu in Sweden and Chock (Swedish Chill), both recently Kickstarted, as well if time is found (or steal good scenarios to the Vaesen setting... since both seems to focus on Nordic folklore as well, albeit in different times).

PS Barbarians of Lemuria is my perfect system, but only for pulpish/action-focused games, not horror/investigations. 

Deep_Impact
Topic Author

Re: Vaesen Archetypes

Wed 04 Dec 2019, 08:21

Renamed the topic.

Daïna

Wed 04 Dec 2019, 10:06

Yes, it's better that way. ;)
I wondered: in your example, you say the character has HEART 5. Does that mean it's their strong trait from their archetype? If I understood correctly, you can only have up to 4 if it's not the case? 

Deep_Impact
Topic Author

Wed 04 Dec 2019, 10:21

No, in Alien, Coriolis and Tales from the Loop attributes are going from 1-5.
In Forbidden Lands (and Mutants?) they are from 1-4, but could be one or two points higher due to the "key attributes".

The concept of key attributes only makes sense in world where characters have a wide range of genetical difference, like humans, elves, dwarves, mutants,... Or to create stronger spotlights and extremes, like the "powergamer" dwarven fighter that has six attribute dice instead of max. five like his human college.

If all characters are basically humans, the only difference is training and parental predisposition.

Daïna

Wed 04 Dec 2019, 10:43

Ah okay, thanks. So, 5 is the max, but you can have 5 in any attribute. 
In that case, do the archetype come with any "strong attribute" at all, where they have the higher score, or is it completely unrelated? 

Deep_Impact
Topic Author

Wed 04 Dec 2019, 10:53

Players should be free to decide how to distribute the points to the attributes.

But in reality most players tend to focus on the attributes needed for their key skills. A hunter with AGILITY 1 and without COMBAT skill is completly legit, but won´t forfill his role in the party.