Ghorin

Re: Kickstarter “info”

Wed 24 Feb 2021, 11:33

I try to understand why change the atmospheric BODY Stat with STRENGHT. To be honest the three stats fit so good to ToR, that i fail to understand why they changed it to the in RPG's overused Strenght?
Naturally a minor nitpick, but it kind of bothers me.
In fact, when the 1st version was under building, Francesco Nepitello had chosen to use "Strenght" as this is the exact word that was used by Tolkien in his books. But at that moment Strenght was also deeply used in D&D system and had another definition/perimeter in many players than the definition/perimeter in Tolkien world. So Francesco decided to switch Strenght and replace it by Body.
Now with the v2, Francesco wants to come back to Tolkien vocabulary and thus come back to Strength.
Note : Francesco explained that when v2 was under building by Cubicle7.

Dunkelbrink

Wed 24 Feb 2021, 11:37

I try to understand why change the atmospheric BODY Stat with STRENGHT. To be honest the three stats fit so good to ToR, that i fail to understand why they changed it to the in RPG's overused Strenght?
It's a shift to more precisely match the quote from Lord of the Rings ("You have been chosen, and you must therefore use such strength and heart and wits as you have") that the attributes were derived from in the first place. It was close that the attributes were called that even in 1st edition. I like it, especially when I know what the source of the change is.
Edit: Ghorin answered this before me, and more elaborate.

Falenthal

Wed 24 Feb 2021, 11:40

The names of the Attributes come from a quote from the book, where it is said that an adventurer will need all of his "Strenght, Heart and Wits" to succeed.
For the first edition, the game wasn't so well known and, of course, Strenght would be interpreted in the usual D&D-style of what Strenght means: raw physical power. Body would be better understood, and as a word fits better the meaning. But it's not the word used in the books, and as you might have seen, the game tries to use each and every word that's in the books.

Now, with the 2nd edition, as the game is already better known and can be better distinguished from the usual troupes and clichés from RPGs, the author has more freedom to use the literal quote from Lord of the Rings and name the Attribute "Strenght", just because that's what Tolkien wrote.

HunterGreen

Wed 24 Feb 2021, 14:15

Francesco always wanted to use Strength because it came from this quote:

‘I do really wish to destroy it!’ cried Frodo. ‘Or, well, to have it destroyed. I am not made for perilous quests. I wish I had never seen the Ring! Why did it come to me? Why was I chosen?’

‘Such questions cannot be answered,’ said Gandalf. ‘You may be sure that it was not for any merit that others do not possess: not for power or wisdom, at any rate. But you have been chosen, and you must therefore use such strength and heart and wits as you have.’

But D&D had clouded the word Strength in roleplayer's minds, making us think only of physical strength in the Conan/weightlifter sense so they went to Body, and he regretted it.
TOR/AiME Discord: https://discord.me/theonering
Narvi, the TOR bot for Discord: https://bitbucket.org/HawthornThistleberry/narvi/

SaFe

Wed 24 Feb 2021, 14:44

Thank you for the replies. I have to admit i thought of BODY in the books.

gyrovague

Wed 24 Feb 2021, 21:54

The new Body attribute will only have two values, "Hot" and "Not".

Otaku-sempai

Fri 26 Feb 2021, 15:47

UPDATE #12: Cloth Maps You Said? We got them!

Cloth maps of The Shire and Eriador are now in the add-on section of the kickstarter.
#FideltyToTolkien

Carcharoth

Fri 26 Feb 2021, 17:38

UPDATE #12: Cloth Maps You Said? We got them!

Cloth maps of The Shire and Eriador are now in the add-on section of the kickstarter.

I want these, and I bet they're awesome, but alas, I'm gonna have to pass. I've already splurged on the collector's edition book, along with the other add-ons.
"Of all the terrors that came ever into Beleriand ere Angband’s fall the madness of Carcharoth was the most dreadful; for the power of the Silmaril was hidden within him."
- The Silmarillion

Farinal

Fri 26 Feb 2021, 20:06

Are the cloth maps going to be KS exclusive like the CE edition book? And can we add it to our pledge after the Kickstarter is finished? If so, for how long we can manage our pledge and addons? Until the shipping?

Thranduil's Elk

Sat 27 Feb 2021, 01:48

They said there will likely be cloth maps in limited supply beyond the KS, but they're not sure if they'll make more after those sell out.
Not all who wander are lost....