Elenath

Re: "There and Back Again", a minimalistic RPG by Ray Otus

Fri 07 Jul 2023, 08:49

Here is something that may be interesting that I just learned about. The professor was attending a rewrite of the Hobbit in the LOTR style:

https://www.reddit.com/r/tolkienfans/co ... _tolkiens/

Otaku-sempai

Fri 07 Jul 2023, 16:23

Yes, I've known about that for years now. Tolkien was attempting to deal with discontinuities between the two works. One such issue is that The Hobbit is not written with the Shire Reckoning in mind, simply because Tolkien had not yet invented the Shire calendar. Thus, Thorin & Company seems to leave Rivendell around 21 June to 24 June instead of on the Midsummer's Day that falls within the middle of the Lithe Days. This suggests that we might want to take any specific date that is given in The Hobbit and add ten days to get the correct Shire-date (in accordance with LotR, Appendix D: "The Calendars"). Tolkien abandoned this revision about the time the company leaves Rivendell. He didn't like the change of tone.

What does this have to do with the topic at hand?
Last edited by Otaku-sempai on Mon 10 Jul 2023, 15:56, edited 1 time in total.
#FideltyToTolkien

Falenthal
Topic Author

Mon 10 Jul 2023, 12:14

Well, the original "There And Back Again" game by Ray Otus is loosely set in the first version of The Hobbit, even before it was thought as part of Middle-earth and some inconsistencies with The Lord of the Rings were amended (Riddle's in the dark chapter, for instance).
My own version of the game tries to be more in line with the Hope/Shadow struggle that layered the story once LotR was written.

I guess Elenath found interesting how Tolkien himself did envision a change of tone in his own work, and wanted to share.

Otaku-sempai

Mon 10 Jul 2023, 15:52

Well, the original "There And Back Again" game by Ray Otus is loosely set in the first version of The Hobbit, even before it was thought as part of Middle-earth and some inconsistencies with The Lord of the Rings were amended (Riddle's in the dark chapter, for instance).
My own version of the game tries to be more in line with the Hope/Shadow struggle that layered the story once LotR was written.

I guess Elenath found interesting how Tolkien himself did envision a change of tone in his own work, and wanted to share.
Fair enough!
#FideltyToTolkien

Elenath

Wed 12 Jul 2023, 02:48

"I guess Elenath found interesting how Tolkien himself did envision a change of tone in his own work, and wanted to share"

Yes, Falenthal. That was it. Thanks.

jasales

Fri 21 Jul 2023, 17:27

I can't figure out how to delete this post.
Last edited by jasales on Fri 21 Jul 2023, 17:40, edited 1 time in total.

jasales

Fri 21 Jul 2023, 17:39

So I groaned inwardly when I read that you had expanded on Ray Otus's work. Then I read it carefully and with thoughts to how the original would play. I took out some TOR adventures and began reading them again with thoughts of your version. I have to say: Your version is Excellent!

And now that I see the layout improvement your friend did. I want that! In English! :)

Really great job!
Thanks a lot for your words!
It really means something when someone who knows the original work doesn't feel I just blundered what was already good.

Well, having already the text translated to english (through DeepL, so I won't mind if someone would like to check for inconsistencies or strange phrasings) and, also, seeing that you hail from Duluth, the town of one of my favourite bands "Low" ;) , I think we can manage to get an english version with the nice layout.

Will post it here as soon as we get it!
Hah! Yes! Thank you. And sadly, Low has ended with Parker's death. :( Sad on both accounts.